robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Oh boy. My favorite band at my favorite period in their history.  Thanks 

Posted : January 25, 2021 11:34 pm
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Really nice way to start the day. I always love listening to Duane play slide. That being said,

If he was alive today, I wonder what he would think about the state of the universe and all the bad things that are happening? What would be his reply musically? One can only imagine. 

Long Live Duane Allman. And even though he body rests up in heaven, his presence and his musical influence is all around!

Posted : January 26, 2021 11:30 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

@rcgp2020 I was listening to Clapton's unplugged album this morning and couldn't help but imagine if Duane was there. He woulda taken that already amazing recording to a new level. It's so sad thinking about what we've missed out on.

Posted : January 26, 2021 7:44 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

I always loved the "Revival" from this show. Never one of my top ABB tunes, but nice to hear the original lineup play their "big hit" in their absolute prime.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 26, 2021 8:10 pm
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Reputable Member

Not to mention what Duane missed out on...

Posted : January 26, 2021 8:25 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

If Duane had lived Eat A Peach would have Standback,  Blue Sky and Little Martha just as we have them now. Rest of album would be different. Hopefully the live One Way Out would be on it because it has such incredible energy. Duane's slide is blistering and Dickey's tone on his solo is among the best I've ever heard. Too bad soon after Duane died Dickey moved to the light sunburst with zebra pickups. To me it just didn't have as good a tone. Fortunately it wouldn't stay in tune well and Dickey found Goldie at a New York pawn shop.

Brothers and Sisters would be way different. Queen of Hearts would have been allowed on the album. If Duane said it then that was it!! So no Laid Back and apparently no Chuck Leavell.  Ramblin' Man would be similar. But not Jessica. Probably two guitar solos and sans the piano. 

Beyond that maybe the band would have broken up. But if it stayed together my guess is it would have been the original six and the Tolers, Warren, Jack, Derek, Allen, Otiel probably would have never been ask to join but probably Marc Quinones would have. 

Posted : January 26, 2021 9:46 pm
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

@andyvannoy  Well put my friend!

Posted : January 27, 2021 11:25 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

In response to the exciting news of a newly-found show being remastered by andyvannoy, just bumping this thread acknowledging Cubsballhawk’s comment about his, Andy’s, work on this 9/16 show - yes Capt Skipper would be proud - stoked for this May 31 show, esp w/Ace being there (how much of the set is he on?) - man all this new Duane stuff surfacing!!!😎👏🤙

Posted : February 13, 2021 4:00 pm
Cubsballhawk
(@cubsballhawk)

@stephen going back and listening, Ace is definitely on Done Somebody Wrong, and One Way Out at least.

Posted : February 13, 2021 5:41 pm
Stephen reacted
Cubsballhawk
(@cubsballhawk)

@stephen Also Don't Keep Me Wonderin'

Posted : February 13, 2021 5:45 pm
Stephen reacted
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

@stephen thanks! 

I'm premiering a new 1/23/71 remaster at 7pm CST tonight. The premiere feature allows us to listen together and chat live. It'll be like going to the show :).

Posted : February 13, 2021 6:25 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Amazing show. I haven’t listened to this one in a while.  They were on fire that night  

sacrilege, but maybe better than AFE?

thanks so much for this

Posted : February 18, 2021 10:25 pm
Share: