THE BAND - Cahoots 50th Anniversary Edition

10 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I like Cahoots fine, but not sure if it's an album that warrants a special edition. Still, nice to have this music get reintroduced every few years.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-band-50th-anniversary-reissue-cahoots-1246475/

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 28, 2021 12:52 pm
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

i hope they do all of the albums. i have the sets they've done so far

Posted : October 30, 2021 12:48 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I need to get this, I had never heard of it. That article mentions Music From Big Pink. I know that is something of a seminal release for The Band but it wasn't my favorite. I like The Band and of course, The Last Waltz.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : October 31, 2021 7:57 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@lee Music from Big Pink was The Band's first album, pretty influential with "The Weight" and "Chest Fever" etc. Cahoots is their 4th album and the first that got a luke-warm reception. The wheels were starting to fall off at that point but there's a lot of good material on it.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 31, 2021 10:53 am
matt05 reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

@porkchopbob 

they were having to rely more on just robertson providing songs at this point and he has stated he wasn't able to come up with strong material that quickly. the long break in albums of original material helped as i think northern lights is much better than cahoots

Posted : October 31, 2021 11:16 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@matt05

Also I don't think they were getting along well at that point. Suddenly they were rich and Robbie had moved to LA. None of them were interested in writing new music, which is why their next album was all covers. I agree, Northern Lights is one of their better albums -ever hear The Roches cover of "Acadian Driftwood"?

I've never really checked out Islands before, I always forget it even exists.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 31, 2021 12:58 pm
matt05 reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

@porkchopbob 

never heard that before but good cover. northern lights is my 3rd favorite after brown album and big pink. islands is more like a leftovers collection

Posted : October 31, 2021 2:44 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@matt05 What I've heard from Islands sounds like late-70s smooth yacht rock. I just read that Islands was just to fulfill The Band's contract to Capitol Records so they could release The Last Waltz soundtrack on WB Records, so it makes sense why it sounds like an obligation.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 31, 2021 3:34 pm
matt05 reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

@porkchopbob 

i dont know if there is a way to find out when the songs are from but they range from 1972-1976

Posted : October 31, 2021 9:00 pm
PeachNutt
(@peachnutt)
Reputable Member

Cahoots is a spectacular album!!!!  I've always loved it -  😎 😎 😎 

Posted : November 1, 2021 9:14 am
Share: