Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Special ABB issue and Interview with John Lynskey about archive releases

https://www.goldminemag.com/podcast/all-allmans-arriving-all-the-time

Podcast with John Lynskey

https://goldmine.simplecast.com/episodes/allman-brothers-band

Lynskey teases that there are several Duane era Warehouse tapes may be releasable with some massaging.

This topic was modified 1 year ago 3 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : November 14, 2022 10:30 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

I used to have the Warehouse boot he mentions. I got rid of it, not sure what generation the tape is. The playing is stellar but the sonic quality was "listenable" but not great. The "Blue Sky" might be a better performance than Stonybrook, Duane is all over it.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : November 15, 2022 3:56 pm
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

The comment that Duane's time with the ABB was only 5% of the their history really stopped me in my tracks.

So disproportionate to his impact on them...

Posted : November 16, 2022 1:53 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@islalala Let this sink in - the Toler/Goldflies-era was together longer than the Duane-era.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : November 16, 2022 2:04 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Just got my copies of the Goldmine ABB cover issue.

I got the special Ioannis artist artwork issue that comes in a slip case with a separate signed Ioannis limited edition 8x10 artwork print that comes in that package. Mine was 13/200 if it is truly limited edition (?).

It includes the December/ January ABB issue with different artwork. It is sealed in plastic so I will leave it sealed as I also ordered a separate regular issue to read.

Really nice issue and in addition to the ABB interview with John  Lynskey there are articles and interviews about the CCR Royal Albert Hall live LP, with John Fogerty, big article about the Beatles Revolver Super Deluxe edition, interview with Derek Trucks about the making of the TTB "I Am The Moon" albums, two page interview with Devon Allman about the Allman Family Revival Tour, and GD article and interviews with Mickey Hart and David Lemieux about the Madison Square Garden concerts box set release.

I read the ABB interview with John Lynskey and it starts with some history of the Syria Mosque venue. Lynskey then discusses the Duane era bands setlists and a little about the upcoming Syria Mosque and A&R Studios rerelease.

In the closing question about future Archive releases JL mentions there is still Duane Era material to be released and that they are currently working on more Haynes/ Trucks material for release. He did say they are covering all 45 years of the ABB with these archival releases so maybe fans will finally get some concerts from the other era bands other than Duane and Haynes/ Trucks eras everyone has been hoping for.

The Devon Allman interview was about the logistics of the Allman Family Revival tour. He was asked what his plans are for 2023 after that tour and he mentions he has a new solo album coming out and he will be gearing up for the next 2023 Allman Family Revival tour which may be expanded with concerts overseas and possible cruise shows. No mention of reforming the Allman Betts Band so makes me wonder if they are done.

Great issue for music fans.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : November 21, 2022 4:52 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

More Haynes/Trucks-era shows? There's already so much available, I wonder what haven't they released. I guess those guys are around to benefit, and that band is still in a lot of fans' ears. Can't complain, glad they keep putting material out there.

I'm debating whether or not to go to the Allman Family Revival show next week. Not sure it will give me an Allman Bros fix but might be nice to go hear a show.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : November 21, 2022 6:53 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @porkchopbob

More Haynes/Trucks-era shows? There's already so much available, I wonder what haven't they released. I guess those guys are around to benefit, and that band is still in a lot of fans' ears. Can't complain, glad they keep putting material out there.

I'm debating whether or not to go to the Allman Family Revival show next week. Not sure it will give me an Allman Bros fix but might be nice to go hear a show.

I went to last years Allman Family Revival and it was a fantastic concert. 2.5 hours of music including many ABB covers and great guest stars. JMO, but if you want an entertaining concert to attend I don't think you will be disappointed. 

Posted : November 21, 2022 8:20 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Whoa!!! I am pretty stoked about the Ioannis mushroom woman print. Been wanting something like this for years. Wonder what it would take to get something bigger? I guess beggars can't be choosers so I will go with this and frame it nice. 😋 

Not to sound negative or unappreciative of more ABB material, but the Duane area material is very limited due to set list/song selections. It's pretty much the same material that had been released from his time in the band. Noting new. It is what it is, that's all they had during that run. And yes, I know the improv's may be different, jams and solos etc, I get it.

How much has been held back from Haynes/Trucks era? I pretty much have all of that. More interested in Betts Haynes and Betts Pearson. Bring that on.

Speaking of archival releases, I thought Michael Lehman, Gregg's manger talked about releasing more of the prior mentioned material from Gregg. Really have only gotten a few things. Any leftover studio or live stuff?

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : November 24, 2022 2:56 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

The Devon Allman interview was about the logistics of the Allman Family Revival tour. He was asked what his plans are for 2023 after that tour and he mentions he has a new solo album coming out and he will be gearing up for the next 2023 Allman Family Revival tour which may be expanded with concerts overseas and possible cruise shows. No mention of reforming the Allman Betts Band so makes me wonder if they are done.

Yeah, that whole Allman Betts thing has me wondering. Some guys went with Duane, and I think the drummer with with Devon. I guess it works well enough for them to do the Family Revival tour. Would be nice if they hit more areas of the US, Midwest seems to be left out for the most part.

This post was modified 1 year ago by jszfunk

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : November 24, 2022 3:08 am
Share: