32 Posts
8 Users
4 Likes
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

https://www.amazon.com/Play-All-Night-Journey-Fillmore/dp/0813069505

Thank you Bob Beatty. Certainly looking forward to it. 

Posted : May 11, 2022 6:02 pm
skydog7 reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Me too. See Allan Paul recommends the book. 

Posted : May 11, 2022 7:56 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

@robertdee https://www.amazon.com/s?k=play+all+night+duane+allman+bob&crid=1PZ82RG1ZH78R&sprefix=play+all+night+duane+allman+bob%2Caps%2C80&ref=nb_sb_noss

"The origin story of a groundbreaking album  

"The 1971 Allman Brothers Band album At Fillmore East was a musical manifesto years in the making. In Play All Night!, Bob Beatty dives deep into the motivations and musical background of band founder Duane Allman to tell the story of what made this album not just a smash hit, but one of the most important live rock albums in history.            

"Featuring insights from bootleg tapes, radio ads, early reviews, never-before-published photos, and the memories of band members, fans, and friends, Beatty chronicles how Allman rejected the traditional route of music business success—hit singles and record sales—and built a band that was at its best jamming live on stage, feeding off the crowd’s energy, and pushing each other to new heights of virtuosic improvisation. Every challenge, from recruiting a group of relatively unknown but established musicians like Jaimoe and Dickey Betts, touring the American South as an interracial band, and the failure of their first two studio albums, sharpened Allman’s determination to pursue the band’s truly unique sound. He made a bold choice—to record their next album live at Bill Graham’s famous concert hall in New York’s Lower East Side, a gamble that launched a new strand of American music to the top of the charts.            

"Four days after the album went gold, Duane Allman was killed in a motorcycle accident. He was 24. This book explores how At Fillmore East cemented Allman’s legacy as a strong-willed, self-taught visionary, giving fans of Southern rock and all readers interested in the role of rock music in American popular culture a new appreciation for this pathbreaking album."  

Amazon is unclear whether the release date is Sept. 22 or Oct. 22.

Billastro

This post was modified 2 years ago by Billastro

Posted : May 17, 2022 3:29 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robertdee

Me too. See Allan Paul recommends the book. 

Awesome clip but where is the rest?

Posted : May 17, 2022 3:48 pm
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

Seriously --- just start to get the chills and then the clip ends

Posted : May 19, 2022 12:59 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

@bill_graham 

extracted from

Notice the title of the first one? The poster called it "My Movie"! 🤪 

Billastro

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Billastro

Posted : May 20, 2022 3:52 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @billastro

@bill_graham 

extracted from

Billastro

Yeah but where's the rest?

Posted : May 20, 2022 9:47 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

@bill_graham 

extracted from

Billastro

As far as I can tell this is all there is. I found the first link by serendipity and used keywords to find the second on YouTube. If you think there might be more, a good starting place in your search would be the U of NC at Chapel Hill: https://www.unc.edu/  

And BTW, you're welcome!

Billastro

Posted : May 22, 2022 12:02 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

@bill_graham 

extracted from

Billastro

As far as I can tell this is all there is. I found the first link by serendipity and used keywords to find the second on YouTube. If you think there might be more, a good starting place in your search would be the U of NC at Chapel Hill: https://www.unc.edu/  

And BTW, you're welcome!

Billastro

Relax mate, I was not asking you specifically where the rest was, it was a rhetorical question as in " I wonder if there is there more than that short clip out there somewhere?" 

And yes thanks for posting that original clip as it is always nice to see new Duanlive video. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : May 23, 2022 7:02 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

@bill_graham Got it. It was a bit ambiguous. No hard feelings

Billastro

Posted : May 23, 2022 7:36 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Got it. It was a bit ambiguous. No hard feelings

Billastro

Same here, sorry for not being clearer in my response. I always appreciate it when you and others share new Brothers clips. 

I was just commenting and wondering if there was more footage in addition to what you posted as it was so amazing and there is so little Duane era video in circulation.

We really need the  1970 Atlanta Pop Festival video to come out before us older fans are too old to appreciate it.

Posted : May 23, 2022 9:06 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

@bill_graham Agreed. Text on a monitor removes tone of voice, etc. 

As far as a full video of the Atlanta Pop Festival, a friend of mine says a friend of his knows someone (I hate these friend-of-a-friend chains) who's seen both days' worth of the Allmans on a pair of DVDs. No idea about why they haven't surfaced considering the demand and interest. However, the camera work convinces me that someone, somewhere, is holding out for the opportune moment to reveal it to the remaining nine or so surviving fans who might be interested. 

Billastro

Posted : May 24, 2022 1:59 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@billastro Man you are right. In just a few more years there may not be many people now under 50 who care that much about the Allman Brothers and us older fans will be dropping like WW2 veterans. Or so old we may not know the names of our parents and children. 

If these films exist and someone is waiting for just the right time to really cash in, that train may have already left the station. 

I know it very likely the audio is the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival that was released on CD a number of years ago. So be it. The band was playing real fine at those shows and to see it is something I'd pay $40 or $50 dollars more that a typical DVD release by a known band. 

When longer segments do show up on YouTube it isn't long until it's removed by complaint of copyright holder. 

Who is the copyright holder?? 

Posted : May 24, 2022 5:50 pm
Jack_Frost reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Agreed. Text on a monitor removes tone of voice, etc. 

As far as a full video of the Atlanta Pop Festival, a friend of mine says a friend of his knows someone (I hate these friend-of-a-friend chains) who's seen both days' worth of the Allmans on a pair of DVDs. No idea about why they haven't surfaced considering the demand and interest. However, the camera work convinces me that someone, somewhere, is holding out for the opportune moment to reveal it to the remaining nine or so surviving fans who might be interested. 

Billastro

Someone posted years ago on a forum I belonged to, can't remember which one, of having gone to a private screening of the Brothers Atlanta sets and showed a photo showing the video screen they were watching. He was told by the person who owned the video to stop talking about it.

Butch Trucks (RIP) also posted clips on his blog and was forced to take them down.

Looks like Small Bucks Films LLC ( Steve Rash) may own the videos and had clips pulled off of YouTube a few years ago

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/video-is-back-another-allman-brothers-band-with-duane-rare-footage-appears.2178332/  

This shows Rash as the owner of Small Bucks

https://www.allbiz.com/business/small-bucks-films-llc  

It is the same Steve Rash that has a documentary film of the 1970 Atlanta Pop Fest mentioned in this article from 2012 that has never been released.

https://www.atlantamusicguide.com/film-review-hotlanta-the-great-lost-rock-festival/  

Maybe Rash still owns the footage but who knows why he can't or won't release it.

Posted : May 25, 2022 12:21 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@billastro Man you are right. In just a few more years there may not be many people now under 50 who care that much about the Allman Brothers and us older fans will be dropping like WW2 veterans. Or so old we may not know the names of our parents and children. 

If these films exist and someone is waiting for just the right time to really cash in, that train may have already left the station. 

I know it very likely the audio is the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival that was released on CD a number of years ago. So be it. The band was playing real fine at those shows and to see it is something I'd pay $40 or $50 dollars more that a typical DVD release by a known band. 

When longer segments do show up on YouTube it isn't long until it's removed by complaint of copyright holder. 

Who is the copyright holder?? 

Maybe Steve Rash of Small Bucks Films LLC. 

See my post above. 

Posted : May 25, 2022 12:23 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

@bill_graham Thanks for the links.

It sounds like there's a lot of arm twisting, coupled with threats, going on, but for no believable reasons. Are these factors enforceable or just a lot of posturing?

The double CD of the Atlanta International Pop Festival only adds to the confusion. The Brothers were under contract to Capricorn from 1969 to some point in the future. The status was blurry (Polydor/Polygram was in the mix for a while) but Amazon seems to think their recordings are being released by Capricorn again. Therefore, to me the ownership of the Atlanta sets seems clear -- Capricorn. Yet Epic (a subsidiary of Columbia) released the CDs. So who owns the rights to these recordings? Is audio ownership different from video ownership? And what could really happen if the videos' owner were to release them through some kind of intrigue-filled chain of anonymous go-betweens? Tempting thought ...

Incidentally, I've heard anecdotally that Galadrielle is passionate about recordings, images, and anything else involving Duane. Is she the one holding up the release? I have no idea.

This reminds me of the Aesop fable about the dog in the manger: https://read.gov/aesop/081.html  

I don't know if this helps or only makes matters worse. However, it seems unlikely after 52 years that the video will appear.

It's a shame that Leverage was only a TV series; if anyone could rescue the vids, their team could. 😎 

Billastro

Posted : May 25, 2022 12:39 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Thanks for the links.

It sounds like there's a lot of arm twisting, coupled with threats, going on, but for no believable reasons. Are these factors enforceable or just a lot of posturing?

The double CD of the Atlanta International Pop Festival only adds to the confusion. The Brothers were under contract to Capricorn from 1969 to some point in the future. The status was blurry (Polydor/Polygram was in the mix for a while) but Amazon seems to think their recordings are being released by Capricorn again. Therefore, to me the ownership of the Atlanta sets seems clear -- Capricorn. Yet Epic (a subsidiary of Columbia) released the CDs. So who owns the rights to these recordings? Is audio ownership different from video ownership? And what could really happen if the videos' owner were to release them through some kind of intrigue-filled chain of anonymous go-betweens? Tempting thought ...

Incidentally, I've heard anecdotally that Galadrielle is passionate about recordings, images, and anything else involving Duane. Is she the one holding up the release? I have no idea.

This reminds me of the Aesop fable about the dog in the manger: https://read.gov/aesop/081.html  

I don't know if this helps or only makes matters worse. However, it seems unlikely after 52 years that the video will appear.

It's a shame that Leverage was only a TV series; if anyone could rescue the vids, their team could. 😎 

Billastro

Hard to say bill. I have heard that for Woodstock 1969 they had to negotiate with each performer for the rights to include them in the video. Some bands like the Grateful Dead and CCR refused to be in the video. I also heard that Manager of Mountain would not allow the band to be in the movie for some bizarre reasoning that the movie would be a flop and not help the bands career. Here is an good article about the bands that were not in the movie.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/woodstock-forgotten-artists/

I wonder if the the promoter at the time, Alex Cooley, Paid performers for their video rights and somehow Rash bought them from Cooley?  Or maybe they did not get releases from the artists which is why most of the video has never seen the light of day and the documentary was never released.

It is a mystery as the Hendrix set has been released on DVD so to your question, who actually owns the right to all the video? Rash?

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : May 25, 2022 1:58 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

@bill_graham This makes sense and ties in with some communications I had with someone who's been trying to produce a Danny Gatton commemorative DVD. (If you're not familiar with him, he was phenomenal. There's a substantial amount of his videos on YouTube. Check him out). 

She told me that credits and royalties for audio material aren't the problem, but for video, the rules apparently change. 

Thanks for the link. Interesting follow-up, especially considering the caliber of the musicians who weren't on the video.

Billastro

Posted : May 25, 2022 2:32 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@billastro 

Thanks Bill I know of Gatton but don't know his music. I will check him out on youtube.

When I have time I am going to see if I can find an e-mail for Rash and see if he will respond on what the status is of the Atlanta Pop video. I will share any response I get.

Posted : May 25, 2022 2:35 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

@bill_graham Here's a good start for Danny: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=danny+gatton+warren+k  

Another side:

I have no idea how much there is altogether. Have fun hunting -- it's worth it.

Billastro

Posted : May 25, 2022 2:48 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

In early 1971 a live album was released of the Atlanta Pop Festival. I haven't seen my copy in decades. I loan it to a friend who now I understand is deceased. That and a couple of books I never got back. Don't know if he stole them or if he just got lazy and forgot to return my stuff. He was way, way into Marijuana so I hope he forgot to return my stuff rather than stealing it. I was in and out of New York and lost track of the guy (Steve). 

But that album was a multi artist LIVE release and the ABB were only on two tracks. I think Statesboro Blues and Whipping Post. But I heard about the time the album came out ALL of the ABB performances at the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival we're recorded. And in the 1990s all of it was finally released as an archive release. 

I remember, I think, it was on the Columbia label. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : May 25, 2022 4:17 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob  Yes that is the cover. Is it on the Columbia label? 

Many of the favorite artists in rock at the time on it. 

If I remember correctly only Statesboro Blues and Whipping Post from the ABB. 

Posted : May 25, 2022 7:59 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Never mind. I followed the link and it says CBS which is Columbia. 

And Statesboro Blues and Whipping Post. Don't know which show. They played them twice that weekend in Atlanta. 

Posted : May 25, 2022 8:02 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Here's a good start for Danny: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=danny+gatton+warren+k  

Another side:

I have no idea how much there is altogether. Have fun hunting -- it's worth it.

Billastro

Gatton was definitely a super talented player. After his passing there was a tribute concert 1/10/95 at Tramps in NYC. Warren, Woody, Jaimoe and Butch played at it. Lots of other notable guitarists, Albert Lee, Les Paul, James Burton, Tinsley Ellis.

I have video of Danny including him using a beer bottle as his glass slide, pretty amazing. Also some where he is joined onstage by a 9 or 10 year old "Joey" Bonamassa. I wonder whatever happened to that kid?

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : May 26, 2022 10:34 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

@bill_graham You're most welcome. I think you'll enjoy him. Here's a more typical piece:

And thanks for trying to connect with Rash.

Billastro

This post was modified 2 years ago by Billastro

Posted : May 27, 2022 12:06 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

@bill_graham Butch always struck me as an ornery guy. It must have taken some serious muscle to force him to remove the clips.

Billastro

Posted : May 27, 2022 12:07 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Butch always struck me as an ornery guy. It must have taken some serious muscle to force him to remove the clips.

Billastro

One of the things I loved about Butch is he was never afraid to offer his opinion on the ABB, politics, and life in general. I really enjoy reading his old blogs as he told great stories about his time in the Brothers. He is one member I wished would have written a book about his life and times in the Allman Brothers Band before he passed as I think it would have been the most unfiltered if a bit biased.

Here is the link to the page that talks about the Atlanta Pop Festival where he mentions the video and having to take it down

https://thebutchtrucks.blogspot.com/2011/07/chill-pill-from-abb-while-fools-fiddle.html

Here is an excerpt about the video

"For those of you that didn't see the video and those that came back to see it again, I am very, very sorry but it seems that we don't own that video. The dude that does does not want it up and insisted that I take it down. There are plans for a long form film about the ABB that should include this one and several others from Byron. For those that saw it I hope you enjoyed it and here is the story without further editing." 

I am guessing you have read his blogs but if not check out the archive at the link above as Butch tells some great stories.

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : May 27, 2022 2:17 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

BTW, what was in the clip that Butch posted that was so bothersome to its owner?

Billastro

Posted : June 9, 2022 2:03 pm
skydog7
(@skydog7)

Posted by: @steved

https://www.amazon.com/Play-All-Night-Journey-Fillmore/dp/0813069505

Thank you Bob Beatty. Certainly looking forward to it. 

Thanks so much for posting the link. I’ve been working on this book in some form or fashion since the mid-90s…though only been writing it over the last 5 years (from PhD dissertation to book).

Book comes out 10/18/22 on University Press of Florida. I will have a link to order bookplates for signature that you can add to your book without having to carry it around for when we meet 🍄

Here’s the link https://upf.com/book.asp?id=9780813069500

Posted : June 20, 2022 10:50 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: