1 Users
1 Likes
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

City of Chicago :: Chicago Blues Festival

I am really looking forward to this year's festival. Although I really dislike the fact that this was moved a handful of years ago from Grant Park (Lollapalooza), it is still fun. Grant Park was so much better and the city used to bring in some heavyweight acts. That doesn't happen to the extent it once did. Finances I imagine. It is free after all.

My take on this year's lineup:

Thursday June 8th: 

For the first night I am looking forward to seeing Wayne Baker Brooks, one of the late great Lonnie Brooks' two guiar playing sons. The first time I saw him he could barely play the guitar and was basically a roadie for dad and his brother Ronnie Baker Brooks. He has come a long way.

After that we get the Blind Boys of Alabama. They have quite a history that I am looking to hear as I have never seen them. Playing with them is the great Bobby Rush. This should be a lot of fun.

I would love to stick around for the Albert King tribute featuring Larry McCray (I'm sure many have seen him sitting in with The ABB and Mule), Donald Kinsey of The Kinsey Report and others. Too late for me.

Friday June 9th:

Not making this day although there are some highlights. Dave Spector with the Delmark Records celebration should be good. Delmark Records is a Chicago blues iconic music label.

CLICK:

Delmark Records Celebrates 70 Years with a Weekend Streaming  – American Blues Scene

The night double cap of Jimmy Burns then John Primer (especially) should be great.

Saturday June 10th:

Another day I probably won't go but again there are some good ones.

Joanna Connor (a long-time Chicago blues artist), John Primer again and then Mud Morganfield is pretty good. Some might know that Mud is a son of Muddy Waters.

Sunday June 11th:

Today is my favorite of the four days. 

I really want to see Duwayne Burnside. He is the son of R.L. Burnside so there is that lineage. Some might have also seen him when he was in The North Mississippi All-Stars for a few years. However, I will probably pass as I want to close out the festival that evening. 

Lil' Ed and the Blues Imperials are awesome. They're opened for some big acts over the years. I saw them with Widespread Panic a few years ago and they are a ton of fun.  

And they couldn't have found a better closer that Los Lobos. 

As I said this should be great. Probably one of the best lineups they have had in years. I might try to make it downtown Friday and/or Saturday but who knows. If you want to get away for a weekend, this is a great excuse to come to Chicago. I doubt any of the bands aren't good, even the ones I haven't seen. And although there is no admission be prepared to still spend quite a bit.

This topic was modified 11 months ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : May 21, 2023 3:37 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Getting ready for tomorrow's Opening Night. I guess you can pack a cooler. We'll see about that; I am kinda skeptical.

I have haven't seen Wayne in years and I've never seen The Blind Boys of Alabama or Bobby Rush. 😀 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : June 7, 2023 7:10 pm
Share: