Allman Family Reunion Show #1 The Factory

33 Posts
5 Users
4 Likes
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

My wife and I had the pleasure of catching the opening night of the Allman Family Reunion Tour at "The Factory," in Chesterfield, Missouri just West of St Louis.

It was nice to see Devon Allman and company get a chance to begin this tour in his home town. He says he lives in St Charles, which is just a few minutes west of the city of the arch. But you already know that. 

The opening night three plus hour show was just as it planned to be, a great night of music and celebration of Gregg Allman and the music so dear to his and our hearts.

I can't say enough about how Devon Allman took care of running the show and managed to get a good set with his band in as well. On time with little to no major problems. Sure there is always the confusion of which amp or guitar effect to use, but hey that's show business.

I'm not going to go into all the performers names or who played what song, as I want those of you who are next to see the tour get that minute for yourself to enjoy. '

All I can say is that, if this tour does on each stop what it did for me on opening night, you're in for a night to remember for a long time. Enjoy!

Posted : November 29, 2021 11:24 am
Bill_Graham and robslob reacted
MuleMeWarren
(@mulemewarren)
Estimable Member

Thx nice review but please give us a few of your song/guest highlights.

Posted : November 29, 2021 12:13 pm
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@mulemewarren  Yes, I would say the best part of the whole show was a 20-minute version of "Dreams," with The Allman Betts Band and The Dickeson Brothers joining in on percussion and Slide guitar. "One way Out" was also fantastic as Eric Gales and Kenny wane Shepard traded lickes. It was to die for as was the finale or "Midnight Rider."

Also Jimmy Hall at 70 years young was amazing. He did "Keep on Smilin" from his Wet Willie Days. His vocals and ability to command a stage still gets my hair to stand on edge.

I really enjoyed the opening act "River Kittens who dido their home town proud. Nothing like some downhome Mandolin and guitar tunes to start the show.

Eric Gales is still one of the best players around, add in Kenny Wayne Shepard and you have the younger generation of BAD ASS Strat Players.

I could go on and on, but every show will be different as far as guests. I hope this give all just a taste of what they are in for.

Posted : November 29, 2021 1:53 pm
MuleMeWarren
(@mulemewarren)
Estimable Member

Thank you!! Can't wait for the Beacon show next week. Will miss seeing KWS, but hopefully we'll get Warren guest in NYC. Thinking about catching the Albany show too.

Posted : November 29, 2021 1:58 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Thanks for sharing RC. I have 6 row center tix for Boston Orpheum next week so really looking forward to this show. It is Boston's equivalent to the Beacon, about the same size, for music and is a great old theater.

Saw Hot Tuna last night at the tiny Wilbur Theater and Susan Tedeschi guested on a couple of songs. T&T have 4 shows at the Orpheum this week ending this Saturday and then no more shows until January so keeping my fingers crossed they hang out and make a guest appearance at the Reunion show. Susan is a Boston girl so hope they come and join the fun.

This post was modified 2 years ago 4 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : November 29, 2021 2:09 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I saw KWS several years ago and thought he was trying to be SRV. But reading about him playing for the Allman Family show I decided to listen again. 

He apparently doesn't sing but has a good singer and man he is hot on guitar. I fine player. Got a great tone and sustain on his Stratocaster. It probably has souped pick-ups. I like a hot Strat about as good as a Les Paul. 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : November 29, 2021 10:46 pm
MuleMeWarren
(@mulemewarren)
Estimable Member

Check out The Rides with KWS and Steven Stills. Unfortunately they won't doing much anymore because Stills can't hear. Some great originals & covers they did two albums.

Posted : November 30, 2021 11:24 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_gra

It's a hot show! Sponsored by the iconic Gibson guitars! 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : December 4, 2021 9:21 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Pix from St Louis

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/allman-betts-band-allman-family-revival-11-27-21/

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : December 5, 2021 10:57 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Man, Boston is selling slowwwwww. Hopefully they get a bunch of walkups

Looks like they dropped some front center orchestra seats last minute.. You can still get 3rd row center for $160 now  and further back orchestra in the second section for $48 which are still fantastic seats.

Maybe COVID fear is hurting sales?

A real steal for what should be a great night of music.

Posted : December 5, 2021 11:05 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Me and the misses are getting ready to head in for the concert.

While checking the COVID requirements I saw there are a small number of 6th row left center seats now available for $58 & fees.

Same seats I bought on the other side of the aisle for big $$$ when they went on sale. No regrets though as I think it will be an amazing show.

Great chance for someone to grab amazing seats on the cheap if you have no plans tonight

Posted : December 7, 2021 5:07 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

Me and the misses are getting ready to head in for the concert.

While checking the COVID requirements I saw there are a small number of 6th row left center seats now available for $58 & fees.

Same seats I bought on the other side of the aisle for big $$$ when they went on sale. No regrets though as I think it will be an amazing show.

Great chance for someone to grab amazing seats on the cheap if you have no plans tonight

This is for my education, but when they drop the price of the tickets is that from the official ticket retailer "Live Nation/Ticketmaster" or the secondary/scalper/broker market?  I have  heard of people getting good seats at the last minute due to price drop's and never understood how to do that if I were able to . Sorry for the ignorance.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : December 9, 2021 9:01 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Looked at the setlist and was excited to see they covered this.

Posted : December 9, 2021 9:08 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@jszfunk The ticket prices get dropped in Ticketmaster/ Live Nation so they are the official sales outlet. From what I have observed as the concert date gets closer unsold tickets can drop in price and additional premium seats get released.

At least for the Boston show this is what happened. I checked prices from time to time and noticed that the front orchestra seat prices slowly dropped as the show date got closer. There were also additional premium orchestra seats added for sale. Maybe they were seats held back for someone or group and when not being sold or used got released for sale the week of the concert.

From what I have read and seen the concert industry has adopted the practice called "dynamic pricing" which they borrowed form the Airline industry.

Basically the way I understand it works is they start tickets prices high when they first go on sale to capture the early buyers who want the best seats and are worried they will get shutout. If the expensive seats sell slowly they drop the prices gradually until they hopefully sell before show time. 

I bought tickets the minute they went on sale as I wanted good seats and paid $$$ for them. The day before the show more tickets near to where I was sitting went on sale for considerably less than what I paid. But it is the luck of the draw so you don't know if the best seats will still be available close to show time at reduced prices.

I have no regrets as the Boston Orpheum show was amazing. I will post a ton of pix in between my work meetings today.

Posted : December 9, 2021 9:48 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Our view from our 6th row seats. Interesting the backline was all Fender amps mostly Super Reverb's which looked like new reissues. Not a single Marshall head on stage.

The River Kittens opened and played about 20 minutes. the ABB and guests played around 3 hours. The concert was just so amazing that the 3 hours flew by and they left us all wanting more.

Posted : December 9, 2021 10:19 am
PorkchopBob reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

@bill_graham  Thanks BG. Well explained. Looks like you had a good seat!

Posted : December 9, 2021 10:22 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Opening number was an Allman Betts original song Magnolia Road.

The next generation carrying on the Brothers torch

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : December 9, 2021 10:26 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Lamar Williams Jr.

https://i.postimg.cc/2ybbyj78/PXL-20211208-013353492.jp g" target="_blank" rel="noopener">

Lilly Hiatt

Posted : December 9, 2021 10:35 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Jimmy Hall- Played on several songs and was full of energy that got the crowd and the band moving.

Posted : December 9, 2021 10:48 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Eric Gales and his wife

Eric is an amazing underrated guitar player and he really gets into his playing and has a lot of energy and enthusiasm. He got so into it his hat flew off mid song. after the concert he was the only one who hung out on stage talking to fans and shaking hands. You could truly tell he loved being there.

Posted : December 9, 2021 10:54 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Donavon Frankenreiter

Posted : December 9, 2021 11:03 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted : December 9, 2021 11:08 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Charley Starr

Posted : December 9, 2021 11:14 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

final jam

The final bow

Posted : December 9, 2021 11:20 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Final thoughts.........

It was an amazing 3 hours of music that was well organized and great guests. You could tell that all the musicians were enjoying themselves and that is was not just another gig.

Not a complaint but I would loved to have seen Luther and Cody Dickinson join the fun but guess they were not scheduled for Boston.

The merch for this tour was pretty sparse and underwhelming. I was going to grab a t-shirt but did not like the designs and the sizing seemed small. I did grab a bandana as I liked the design and it was a lot cheaper than the shirt.

Not sure about other venues but for the Boston Orpheum you had to wear a mask going in but once inside the majority of the people just took theirs off. My wife and I kept ours on even though we are vaccinated but not sure how much they helped in this case. So if you are concerned about COVID these theater shows may not be for you.

If anyone went to the Beacon show last night I would love to hear a review.

Posted : December 9, 2021 12:09 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Highlights from the Beacon in New York. Johnny playing knock out slide guitar on Don't Keep Me Wondering. 

Posted : December 11, 2021 1:26 am
Bill_Graham reacted
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

@robertdee & @bill_graham Thank you so much for sharing your experience at The Allman Family Revival show you both attended. As I explained in one of my posts I think this tour is one of the best this season. I think your photos say it all as well. You were able to capture the felling that I had the night of my show. Everybody looks like there are having a ball and doing what they do best!

Posted : December 11, 2021 11:52 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Photos from the Beacon

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/allman-family-revival-beacon-theatre-12-8-21/

Posted : December 11, 2021 12:55 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: