Illustrious Member
Topic starter

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 4, 2022 4:10 pm
Randall and Rusty reacted
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

Several years ago I compiled a 60 minute CD of various outtakes and demos from a couple of different sources (including the above tracks - except Nevertheless) ... details as follows:

THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND – DEMO’S & OUT-TAKES

RECORDED 1969 – 1971

1. DON’T WANT YOU NO MORE 2:15
  2. IT’S NOT MY CROSS TO BEAR 4:02
  3. TROUBLE NO MORE 3:40
  4. DREAMS 4:58
  5. ONE MORE RIDE (instrumental version) 3:55
  6. STATESBORO BLUES 4:08
  7. REVIVAL 4:12
  8. DON’T KEEP ME WONDERIN’ 3:33
  9. MIDNIGHT RIDER 3:50
  10. IN MEMORY OF ELIZABETH REED 6:48
  11. HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN 4:57
  12. LEAVE MY BLUES AT HOME 4:24
  13. ONE MORE RIDE (with vocals) 7:29
  14. LITTLE MARTHA 2:11
This post was modified 2 years ago by harvey

Posted : August 4, 2022 6:04 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Nevertheless isn't an Allman Brothers Band track here ? Must be for Laidback? Or what? Or is it live and part of Gregg's 1974 solo shows?

Sounds as if Revival has the band singing backup vocals. Once Red Dog said they got the roadies to record "People Can You Feel It, Love is Everywhere" but they decided not to use it. But this sounds like the band.

I always hear Berry Oakley but not specifically the rest of the band. Sounds that way here. 

Dickey said on Idlewild South it's all six of the band members singing.

Posted : August 4, 2022 8:45 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

@robertdee I was thinking the same thing regarding Nevertheless ... doesn't sound like the ABB ... but it doesn't seem to fit with the Laidback material either ... so GA Tour might be a good shout

Posted : August 5, 2022 4:29 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@harvey It's 1974 according to the YouTube poster. But they aren't sure if it's a demo or rehearsal. But at the end before cutoff sounds like a live audience.

Someone posted he recognized Talton's slide style and Bill Stewart's drum work. I'm not that familiar with Talton and Stewart to pick that up. 

But the song did make it onto Win, Loose or Draw released in 1975. 

Posted : August 5, 2022 6:39 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robertdee "Nevertheless" is from rehearsal sessions for Gregg's solo tour.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 5, 2022 8:23 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Okay thank you. I saw Gregg spring of 74 with the strings and two drummers (Bill Stewart and Jaimoe) then in the fall without the strings and only Bill Stewart on drums.  I don't remember hearing that song but I wouldn't have know it then anyway. I became familiar with Nevertheless when Win, Loose or Draw came out.

Posted : August 5, 2022 11:12 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robertdee Before it ended up on Win, Lose or Draw, "Nevertheless" was played on Gregg's 1974 tour. Gregg had a few songs from that period that could have just as easily ended up on a solo album or the Brothers' next album.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 5, 2022 11:48 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Okay that is from a Gregg Allman show in November of 1974 in Seattle, Washington. I imagine I heard Nevertheless that fall. I saw two shows. The last one of at Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina in December of 1974. There was snow on the ground but roads were plowed. 

I can't remember how Tommy Talton played slide guitar on those shows other than he used a chrome metal slide. But judging from recent videos of Tommy, he probably used a pick instead of his fingers because he does now use a pick on what I've found. 

Thanks for the videos and information. I love the ABB and Gregg and Dickey so really enjoy new information and perspectives. 

Posted : August 5, 2022 12:19 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Here is Tommy. Seems to be using a pick. The bass player is very good I think. And Randall is outstanding on horn as usual. 

Posted : August 5, 2022 12:37 pm
Share: