steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

And thank God he was. Thank you Duane. 

Posted : November 20, 2021 5:59 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I can't think of another guitar solo on any Allman Brothers Band album that has the power, energy and grace as this one. The notes seem to be exactly right and they just flow and man is he stepping on the gas!!

Posted : November 20, 2021 7:02 pm
pixielf reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

And HDA on slide. Heard this a million times but again it's a good reminder just how good all six of the were in 1971. 

Posted : November 20, 2021 7:14 pm
bluedad
(@bluedad)
Estimable Member

For my money, the most important person to ever walk the planet !

Posted : November 20, 2021 8:46 pm
pixielf
(@pixielf)
Honorable Member

@robertdee  I agree 100%!!  And I never get tired of hearing it!

Posted : November 20, 2021 9:36 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The guy was a marvel - playing the length & breadth of music that he played in his almost-25 short years - it's phenomenal - the Skydog boxset is seven CDs of the most complete well-read musician who ever walked the planet

Posted : November 21, 2021 4:24 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@stephen Yes Duane left such a legacy that it's easy to forget he was 24 when he died. I think Derek Trucks had this same attribute. Duane and the other five in their early 20's played like well studied seasoned musicians who are much older. 

Also to me, I often wonder if we would have ever heard of many of these musicians such as Gregg, Dickey, Butch, Jaimoe, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes etc etc if it were not for Duane Allman. 

As Keith Richards once said, he would like to think his music and ability would have been noticed with some degree of success if he hadn't been there in the right place when the Rolling Stones formed. It seems likely the talent of Gregg Allman, Dickey Betts, Chuck Leavell, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes etc would be noticed with some kind of success here in 2021 if Duane Allman had not been born but it's something I can't be sure about. 

Posted : November 21, 2021 5:41 pm
Share: