The Allman Brothers Band
Jonah Hill To Star ...

Notifications
Clear all

Jonah Hill To Star As Jerry Garcia In Martin Scorsese-Directed Grateful Dead Biopic

3 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yesterday we got ABB movie news, today it's the Dead. This project has a little bit better production pedigree.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/jonah-hill-jerry-garcia-martin-scorcese-grateful-dead-biopic/

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : November 18, 2021 3:06 pm
ffisher reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

June 10th, 1973 Jerry Garcia and Dickey Betts at RFK Stadium. 

The picture above was taken at the show. Dickey and Jerry were good friends and enjoyed each other's company according to what I've read at several places. 

That's Alright Mama. 

Someone help me. Is that Dickey with the Strat and Jerry with the Les Paul or the other way around?  

Posted : November 20, 2021 11:23 am
gotdrumz
(@gotdrumz)
Reputable Member

(IMHDO) Trying to do a biopic of a band with nearly a 30 year history, 1965 till Garcia's passing, is like doing 50 laps at Indy and calling it good.

Plus, also (IMHDO), Scorsese had a decent platform with "Long Strange Trip" to do something "interesting" and/or "different"... Yet somehow didn't. My prediction is it will say "Grateful Dead" in the title and be mostly about Jerry. 

Imagine if it just focused on the inception of the band till Pigpen's passing. Yeah, the band carried on afterwards creatively, successfully, and all that. To me, it wasn't the Grateful Dead anymore and the story lies there. The birth, the heart the mind, the body, and the soul of the Grateful Dead story.

My .02

Posted : November 22, 2021 7:48 pm
Share: