Stoked and disappointed with texas

19 Posts
8 Users
6 Likes
shane-o
(@shane-o)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

OF COURSE IM STOKED ON AUSTIN ANYTHING DUANE but I thought it was gonna be Dallas with Roland Kirk I NEED TO HEAR THAT I tried getting it and was told it was an official so I thought Texas BOOM. However do not get me wrong I’m good with ANYTHING  especially soundboard 

Posted : February 11, 2021 5:59 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yes that’s the Texas show I was really hoping this would be too - more-so, as you say, No Disappointments - interesting comments on the live show database

this is from the Nolan biography - Twiggs was talking to a Kip Cohen after an early Fillmore show, “and he asked me, who did the band like? Who were their influences, who would they themselves buy a ticket to see? I named off BB King, Grateful Dead, Roland Kirk, in that order”

👏stoked for Down In Texas!😎🤙

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : February 11, 2021 8:39 pm
2old2boogie reacted
Bruke01
(@bruke01)

There  were many great shows but pity no video left. 🙄  

Posted : February 13, 2021 12:24 am
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

Apologies for any confusion caused, I had originally thought that the new release might have been from Dallas, possibly with Rahsaan Roland Kirk sitting in, but I was wrong.

A friend of mine (sadly now deceased) had what he thought was a recording of the 9/27/71 Dallas show and he said that he believed you could hear Rahsaan Roland Kirk doing the twin sax thing on Liz Reed.  He said it was a soundboard recording.  I never heard the recording myself, but he did give me the set list which is identical to the set list for this new show being released.  It therefore brought into question whether the new release was actually the Austin show from 9/28 with Juicy Carter or was it the Dallas show from 9/27, possibly with RRK?

Thanks very much to "crosseyedcat" for finding the documentary evidence below which undoubtedly proves the new release to be Austin 9/28/71 with Juicy Carter sitting in.

From The Rag, Volume 5, issue 41, 10/4/1971

https://voices.revealdigital.org/?a=d&d=BFIGCEE19711004.1.17&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN---------------1

This post was modified 3 years ago 4 times by harvey

Posted : February 13, 2021 5:07 am
PeachNutt reacted
PeachNutt
(@peachnutt)
Reputable Member

As soon as you hear it you will know immediately if it's Rahsaan Smile

Posted : February 14, 2021 12:07 am
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member

Agreed, as soon as you hear it you will know if it's RRK but the description states "sitting in on six out of the CD's nine tracks" I would have thought as a one off guest RRK would do one or two songs at most rather than sit in for most of the concert.

The interview sounds interesting, anyone know anymore details on that?

Posted : February 14, 2021 6:06 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Will be cool to see how the band sounds w/Randolph “Juicy” Carter in on most of the set - shoot, perfect world scenario, appending RRKirk’s Houston & Dallas sit ins if room/source material had allowed it - ‘Sept Sax Sitins’ Down In Texas :zipit:

but appending the interview,🤙👏😎 - have a printout of a Duane/BO interview “between shows at the Univ. of New Haven - by Jon Tiven, Other”

Duane mentions Roland Kirk as “clean outta sight” - BO mentions Stonybrook, & the East Town Theatre in Detroit (“fantastic sound”), as his favorite places to play 

will be cool to see where this one is from😎👏

**slow me, saw just now, interview is 6/6/71 Houston 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : February 14, 2021 7:19 am
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

Thanks to "crosseyedcat" for the link to this review of the 9/28/71 Austin show published in "The Rag, Volume 5, issue 41, 10/4/1971"

https://voices.revealdigital.org/?a=d&d=BFIGCEE19711004.1.17&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN---------------1

ALLMAN BROTHERS by John Spence

Ragphoto: Dana Mardaga

Joe said he was going to be gone for a while, but he'd be back for the Allman Bros. He said he would not miss them for anything. When I asked him why, he simply replied, "Because those guys have never let me down!" It sounded like Joe knew what he was talking about, so I got my ticket early. When the concert night came I was puzzled to find such a scarce turnout. Could Joe have steered me wrong? "He better not have," a friend said, "I took off work tonight for this." Cowboy, the warmup group, did alright, considering they had only played together a couple of times before. Then the hour of reckoning came. Excitement grew not only in me but in those around me. The Allman Bros, started playing some of their well-known blues numbers only to stop to announce that the fire marshals were going to stop the show if everyone didn't return to their seats and stop crowding the aisles. Duane Allman asked if we knew who the fire marshals were - they're the guys who tried to be cops but couldn't make it! Then the band continued with a fantastic jam based on "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed," Dickie Betts' song, and Betts played long, sinuous lead lines. The band had a horn player with them, who didn't do much except on a couple of numbers when he played some Coltrane - like lines that fitted in perfectly with the piercing guitars and the thundering drums. When the Allmans were finished their audience wasn't. A massive ovation continued for about 10 minutes until our heroes returned for one last song, a rousing version of "People can you feel it, Love is everywhere," with the audience singing along. If it hadn't been for the crowd, they wouldn't have done that second encore, but as one of the drummers said, "after all that yelling, they deserve it." The only minor disappointment was that they didn't do "Whipping Post." After it was over I ran into Joe in the parking lot where he confirmed once again that "those guys never let me down." I agreed.

This post was modified 3 years ago by harvey

Posted : February 18, 2021 7:27 am
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

What this does mean is that the partial recording that has been traded for years as being the 9/28 Austin show must be from another date, as there are clear differences between the two recordings.

I guess we will never know where / when that old partial recording is from now.

Posted : February 18, 2021 7:31 am
shane-o
(@shane-o)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hey is there a theory since the set lists match that perhaps there is NO Rasheed Roland Kirk show and juicy carter is a mistaken ?!! Set lists match perfectly....  

Posted : February 19, 2021 3:35 pm
shane-o
(@shane-o)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

@harvey you’ve heard them both?!! Forgive my ignorance the Austin with the partial what’s there is smokin but it’s not the same ?!

Posted : February 19, 2021 3:38 pm
(@Anonymous)

@shane-o 

I've just spoken with John Lynskey. Texas 71 is not the Partial and he says the quality is very good.

Posted : February 19, 2021 4:10 pm
shane-o
(@shane-o)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

@andyvannoy thank you !!!!!!!

Posted : February 19, 2021 5:13 pm
shane-o
(@shane-o)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I dig thst partial it’s great done somebody wrong hot lanta I wonder if it west coast 71 they were at civic and winter land nothing has turned up I’m gonna drag it out my daily dose today was from the last beacon run 10/24/14 the you don’t love me is really something not Duane but I dig Derek he is Duane distilled 

Posted : February 19, 2021 5:16 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

Posted by: @shane-o

@harvey you’ve heard them both?!! Forgive my ignorance the Austin with the partial what’s there is smokin but it’s not the same ?!

Lets just say that I am privvy to certain information regarding the new release, I do not wish to say more.  The recording that has been traded for years is a fairly poor quality recording of part of a show, there are just six tracks and only three of those are complete. This new release, that I originally thought might be 9/27 from Dallas and possibly with RRK, is definitely confirmed as 9/28 from Austin with Juicy Carter (due to band comments between tracks) and is a good quality soundboard recording. Also, it is obviously not the same show as the previously traded partial recording.

This post was modified 3 years ago 6 times by harvey

Posted : February 19, 2021 7:20 pm
shane-o
(@shane-o)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

@harvey actually the traded Austin is a soundboard partial mind you but the one I have the sound is amazing I think the only full songs as it’s in the next room is done somebody in memory and hot lsnta with a partial statesboro and trouble no more but the sound is amazing at least the one I have WELL I HAD THE SONGS WRONG BUT IT IS DEFINITELY A SOUNDBOARD 

This post was modified 3 years ago by shane-o

Posted : March 16, 2021 12:53 am
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

Posted by: @shane-o

@harvey actually the traded Austin is a soundboard partial mind you but the one I have the sound is amazing I think the only full songs as it’s in the next room is done somebody in memory and hot lsnta with a partial statesboro and trouble no more but the sound is amazing at least the one I have WELL I HAD THE SONGS WRONG BUT IT IS DEFINITELY A SOUNDBOARD 

Hi Shane, just dug mine out again and you are quite right, it is a partial soundboard recording ... but you must have a different version to mine as whilst mine is good I wouldn't say the sound is amazing (b+ at best) ... looking forward to hearing the new release, although as I am in the uk it may be some time before I take delivery so will be interested to hear your thoughts. Cheers!

Posted : March 16, 2021 6:53 pm
shane-o
(@shane-o)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

@harvey well that’s relative to me amazing is anything soundboard I ain’t jaded enough I guess I’ll take ANYTHING duane played on so if you get above a cacophony it is spectacular to me

Posted : March 16, 2021 9:34 pm
harvey reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Received an e-mail tonight my CD bundle has shipped. 

Posted : March 19, 2021 10:15 pm
Share: