Clear all

Dickey Lessons, sort of

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
SkyDogSys
(@skydogsys)
Topic starter

Stumbled on some great concert video of Dickey from 2015 taken by Chris Balton who seems to be a professional videographer. Anyway, the majority of the videos are closeup on Dickey playing your favorites, so all of you guitar hackers out there should enjoy the sort of up close and personal "How to play like Dickey" from Dickey himself. Oh how I wish the technology would have been available in the Duane Era to capture that in High Def.

Here's a playlist of those videos.

I just noticed that Dickey had his SG modified with a master volume control on the pick guard, so he could do the volume swells on liz reed. I didn't even notice it was there until I saw the Liz Reed video. Some of the old Jazz Arch Tops had those on the pick guard. Sneaky mod Dickey!

Posted : July 19, 2017 7:03 am
MACONMUSIC
(@maconmusic)
Trusted Member

For all the bashing he has taken in the last decade plus, kudos to the man for keeping it going well into his 70's....

No, he may not be the precise, intense, spitfire of player he once was and yes the tempos are a good bit slower, but the man
STILL has one of the most gorgeous guitar tones I've ever heard out of a Gibson and a Marshall....All in the hands and soul.
Plus, he WROTE ALL of it....Tho' it likely may never happen again, we'd be damned lucky to see him on a stage again....

Peace Brother Dickey, thanks for all the sonic joy you've brought forth over your lifetime....Your music is immortal.

Posted : September 12, 2017 7:03 pm
Share: