Clear all

Dickey's last Allman Brothers shows

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
jaywhofan
(@jaywhofan)
Topic starter

First of all, I couldn't exactly figure out where to post this. My apologies if this isn't the right spot. Anyway, My name is Jason. My dad was a big Allman Brothers fan, and I've heard their music as far back as I can remember. But I didn't really become a real fan until Butch and Gregg passed. I hope this isn't to much of a negative subject for my first post. Having recently read Gregg's autobiography, and the book "One Way Out", I've become really curios about the last concerts Dickey did with the group. Is there anybody here that saw one of the last shows, or the very last show Dickey ever played with The Allman Brothers? I'd love to read any stories of memories or the show. Were they really *that* bad? Do any pictures or audio/video exist of Dickey's last months with the group? I've heard "Peakin' At The Beacon", but I'd be curios to hear any shows in the months after that.

Posted : October 3, 2017 11:25 pm
meandean
(@meandean)
Estimable Member

I was at the next to last Dickey show in Memphis. It was the Memphis in May fest right on the Mississippi River. The grounds were wet, the park was packed and I recall a ton of youngsters talking on their cell phones while Taj Mahal (opener) and the ABB played. Needless to say, I was not in my usual great mood waiting for the band to kick off their set. In my opinion, it was nowhere near any of my top Allman Bros shows, and there was definitely some slop going on - probably similar to what you hear on the Peakin' cd. That being said, I had always believed that the ABB on an "off"'night were still a better live band than 95% of all other blues-rock type of acts.

Posted : October 4, 2017 8:09 am
Share: