22 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
15.3 K Views
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

This rendition is an example of the true greatness of that night. Derek was just on fire during this one. It's now my go to for High Cost. And according to my iPod stats I REALLY like it!

Posted : November 8, 2014 8:54 am
ssepr
(@ssepr)
Trusted Member

Haven't heard this version yet, I bet its great. Great version from SPAC 2005.

Posted : November 8, 2014 12:31 pm
heineken515
(@heineken515)
Noble Member

How about a link or something, can't tease us like that. 😉

Posted : November 8, 2014 1:40 pm
Gordie
(@gordie)

Right on! Completely blew my mind during the show, and has been my most listened to track from the downloads. Derek's work on that is sublime.

Posted : November 8, 2014 1:51 pm
LowLiver
(@lowliver)
Eminent Member

I'm surprised they nailed this the way they did. They kept dropping it from the set list leading up,to the final show.

Posted : November 8, 2014 2:27 pm
taynos
(@taynos)

One of my favorite tunes from that night...was there and they killed it for sure.

Posted : November 9, 2014 11:01 pm
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

How about a link or something, can't tease us like that. 😉

No link. I have the show and was just commenting on it.

Posted : November 10, 2014 8:20 am
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Right on! Completely blew my mind during the show, and has been my most listened to track from the downloads. Derek's work on that is sublime.

It was one of his finest moments in the band. I have went back and checked other shows versions of the song to see if they were this good normally as I had kind of dropped it from my own set list, but this one really was special. The band hit fifth gear.

[Edited on 11/10/2014 by Forever_Duane]

Posted : November 10, 2014 8:25 am
Brosicle
(@brosicle)
Trusted Member

I loved the entire final show, and this song was a highlight from that show no doubt. However, for me, the better Derek solo for High Cost was earlier in the year (3/15). This solo had for me all the essential qualities of a great Derek solo: melodic invention, dramatic buildup and that magical moment when it stops being a solo and becomes some shared timeless experience. Here are 2 YouTube recordings for your enjoyment (1st one has better views of Derek but poorer quality sound):

Posted : November 11, 2014 1:47 pm
hotlantatim
(@hotlantatim)
Prominent Member

I'm glad they put High Cost into the final show. Though the show was predominantly from the first 5 albums, High Cost served as a statement from just the guys on stage and the very strong album they put out together. The coda is such a great vehicle for Derek, too and glad they nailed it!

Posted : November 12, 2014 7:36 am
piper
(@piper)
Trusted Member

Here you go.

Posted : November 14, 2014 8:55 pm
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

IHowever, for me, the better Derek solo for High Cost was earlier in the year (3/15). This solo had for me all the essential qualities of a great Derek solo: melodic invention, dramatic buildup and that magical moment when it stops being a solo and becomes some shared timeless experience.

I went back and checked it out. It is definitely a solid rendition, I would give it 4 out of 5.

Posted : November 16, 2014 4:39 pm
axeman
(@axeman)
Prominent Member

IHowever, for me, the better Derek solo for High Cost was earlier in the year (3/15). This solo had for me all the essential qualities of a great Derek solo: melodic invention, dramatic buildup and that magical moment when it stops being a solo and becomes some shared timeless experience.

I went back and checked it out. It is definitely a solid rendition, I would give it 4 out of 5.

Thanks for posting these. This is far and away my favorite song by this lineup. Wish they had played and developed it more.

I LOVE the harmonies on 10/28 outro solo. Nice to hear them tweak and expand those. I agree that Derek has a better go at it on the 3/15. 10/28 is solid but Derek's solo is a little short and while he is spot on, I don't really feel there is a peak.

3/15/14 reminds me a lot of 3/24/07. Derek has a great solo but the song part isn't the strongest. For my tastes, the 3/24/07 solo is the best that I have heard Derek play High Cost of Low Living. Hands down. BUT if anyone wants to send me a nice recording of all the renditions out there, I'd be happy to test that theory!

Posted : December 19, 2014 2:54 am
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

There's the beauty of this band in a nutshell. We are lucky enough to have so many shows and songs to compare. I find gems in my collection every day.

Posted : December 20, 2014 7:03 am
jparadise
(@jparadise)
Reputable Member

I'm currently listening to the 10/28 show actually and High Cost of Low Living definitely floored me when they hit the coda. Also, Derek's solo in Blue Sky.......HOLY SH*T.......

Posted : December 24, 2014 8:18 am
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'm currently listening to the 10/28 show actually and High Cost of Low Living definitely floored me when they hit the coda. Also, Derek's solo in Blue Sky.......HOLY SH*T.......

That is definitely where the song took flight. Just listened to it again tonight. Still as good as the previous 30 or 40 times!

Posted : December 24, 2014 10:23 pm
vteye
(@vteye)
Eminent Member

A truly new favorite ABB tune - never thought I would find a new favorite post there last show.

Posted : January 12, 2015 11:37 am
wease
(@wease)
Trusted Member

I never really cared for this song. Then I listened to this version of it. The extended coda at the end is truly awe-inspiring. Totally changed my view of the song. Derek's playing gave me goosebumps.

Posted : January 13, 2015 9:43 am
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I never really cared for this song. Then I listened to this version of it. The extended coda at the end is truly awe-inspiring. Totally changed my view of the song. Derek's playing gave me goosebumps.

I felt the same way. It had dropped out of my playlist long ago until this came along. I know listen to it a lot.

Posted : January 17, 2015 6:53 am
rayg
 rayg
(@rayg)
Estimable Member

I vote for 10-28-14. Band played loose, free and easy the whole night. High Cost always had been a highlight for me whenever the band played it but that last night's version was truly special.

Posted : January 18, 2015 7:02 pm
vteye
(@vteye)
Eminent Member

Whoa cannot get away from the last 4 minutes of this tune.

Posted : January 23, 2015 12:54 pm
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Whoa cannot get away from the last 4 minutes of this tune.

It's pure musical bliss.

Posted : January 26, 2015 7:50 pm
Share: