[Sticky] New Site Tips  

RSS
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

You have both a site and forum profile.  

To edit your site profile start with the Members -> Account menu:

menu 1

Click the tabs on the left and update the fields on the right.  Click the Update Account button to save your changes

account profile

Click the Avatar circle (upper left to get to a profile page where you can change your Avatar and Cover photos by clicking on them:

profile page

Click the gear icon to add some "about yourself" text.

The Forum profile carries a lot more info.  Anything you haven't already supplied when you registered is optional.

Your email address will not be shown to others, but your other profile information will be visible on the site, so don't enter anything private.

You'll find the Forum Profile here:

forum profile

From that menu you can update your profile, see a summary of your forum activity, and modify any subscriptions you created (where you asked to be notified by email when a new post is made to a thread):

The account tab is where you'll find most of the optional profile information, including a place to upload an avatar:

forum account tab

The Private Message system is also accessed here.  It is a much richer Private Message system than on the old site, with things such as multiple recipients and the ability to store message threads:

forum private messages

Cheers,

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 1, 2020 4:39 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

Every member has their own media library which you can use to post images.  Your library will maintain your images so you can use them in future posts.  

To add an image, click the My Media link:

my media link

Then either drag and drop your media files or click the Add Files... button to choose files to upload.

add files

Click the Add to Post button to add the media to your post.

You can add media anywhere in your post - just put the cursor where you want it to go before clicking Add to Post.

Your images will look small in the post you are typing, but they will be larger in the published post. 

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 1, 2020 5:14 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

If you are not going to post anything, site performance will be better if you don't login.  

This is because the cache system works only for non-logged in users by design.  It assumes that if you are logged in, things might be changing on the fly and it always generates the page from scratch.

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2020 8:07 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

When I just come to the site to look at the forums and do not login, the forum does not show all the latest posts and inaccurate times of the last post.  Then when I login, different posts and thread order show on the forum with the correct time of the last posts.  Not sure why, but that issue leads me to believe I should login every time I visit to see the most recent posts. Any idea on that?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2020 8:00 am
rowland liked
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin
Posted by: @nebish

When I just come to the site to look at the forums and do not login, the forum does not show all the latest posts and inaccurate times of the last post.  Then when I login, different posts and thread order show on the forum with the correct time of the last posts.  Not sure why, but that issue leads me to believe I should login every time I visit to see the most recent posts. Any idea on that?

The site uses a cache which should be updated whenever a page changes.  It's possible that your browser holds an earlier version of the page and shows that to you.

Logging in does show you the absolute latest posts, since the page is generated on the fly from the database.  The cached pages probably have a refresh delay, I'll check into it.

Caching helps a lot with bots that can be 90% of the site traffic at times.  They come back multiple times a day and read every page in the site including all Forum threads.  

Wish we could charge the search bots Wink  

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2020 11:11 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

It must be my cache.  I just came back to this thread on a different computer than I posted this morning.  When I was not logged in the latest post it showed was your 9/2 8:07am post.  I did not see my earlier post from this morning or your reply.

That might end up be a little annoying, but logging in solves the problem, I just wanted to pass it along to you so you so you know what some users are seeing or not seeing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2020 12:56 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Peach Extraordianire

I had the same issue.

How do you edit posts?

never mind.

well, actually, I saw the edit button on the lower right next to reply on this post. I wanted to edit another post I made and I didn't see the edit button

thanks for your help. 

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by stormyrider
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2020 2:23 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

It must be my cache.  I just came back to this thread on a different computer than I posted this morning.  When I was not logged in the latest post it showed was your 9/2 8:07am post.  I did not see my earlier post from this morning or your reply.

That might end up be a little annoying, but logging in solves the problem, I just wanted to pass it along to you so you so you know what some users are seeing or not seeing.

I've disabled caching for the Forum.  You should no longer see a difference in visible posts when logged in vs. not.

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2020 2:51 pm
nebish liked
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin
Posted by: @stormyrider

I had the same issue.

How do you edit posts?

never mind.

well, actually, I saw the edit button on the lower right next to reply on this post. I wanted to edit another post I made and I didn't see the edit button

thanks for your help. 

The edit button that you noticed, on the lower right of each post, should be showing if you are logged in and it is your post.  Try reloading the page.  If you still don't see the edit button, paste the link of the post you're trying to edit here and I'll investigate.  

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 6, 2020 2:53 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Peach Extraordianire
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin
Posted by: @stormyrider

@rowland

https://allmanbrothersband.com/community/general-chat-anything-goes/marcus-king-trio-drive-in-live-show/#post-161875

thanks

@stormyrider - it looks OK in the database, you are listed as the post author.  If you see the edit link on your later posts, I think it might be related to this forum software's restrictions around "first posts" by users.  This is listed in the database as your first post - which means first one with the new forum software.  We are all first posters as far as the software is concerned!  The reason for the restrictions is to control spammers - there is even a setting (disabled for now) to require manual approval by moderators of "first N posts."   

If there is an edit needed for that post I can help.

Thanks

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2020 6:53 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Peach Extraordianire

weird

thanks for looking into it. 

I can live with the way it is for now. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2020 8:26 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

My recent posts are missing an edit option as well in the college football thread.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2020 7:38 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

@nebish I made a change in the database for your posts only (your name was blank but userid was there, just a guess at the problem).

Let me know if the edit link shows up now.  Might take a couple of tries to figure out what's going on.

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 6:47 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

What appears is happening is that when I make a new post, I do see the edit option and can edit the post.  But then after some time, the edit option goes away.

I just made a new post and have the ability to edit that one.  But a post from yesterday or earlier I can not.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 8:47 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

What appears is happening is that when I make a new post, I do see the edit option and can edit the post.  But then after some time, the edit option goes away.

I just made a new post and have the ability to edit that one.  But a post from yesterday or earlier I can not.

Ah!!! Perfect clue.  This Forum software has hundreds of options and I left many as default.  I just found two options that by default "Limit Editing of Own Posts" to 5 minutes.  Same for topics.  So..., just set both to "unlimited."  See if that helps.  And also - let me know if you got a notification of this post since I quoted your post that included your @ signal.  thx!

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 9:21 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire

The site loads so slowly it takes about 15 minutes to log in, make a comment, log out. AND where is everyone?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 6:30 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin
Posted by: @cyclone88

The site loads so slowly it takes about 15 minutes to log in, make a comment, log out. AND where is everyone?

Thanks for the heads up.  I found and blocked a misbehaving Russian search bot that was hammering the site many times a second.  I also found and fixed another performance issue.  Should be better now, unless some other gremlin comes in before you read this!  I check several times a day but things can change fast.   I appreciate the report.

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 8:42 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @rowland

Thanks for the heads up.  I found and blocked a misbehaving Russian search bot that was hammering the site many times a second.  I also found and fixed another performance issue.  Should be better now, unless some other gremlin comes in before you read this!  I check several times a day but things can change fast.   I appreciate the report.

Yes, that fixed it!

And yes, I do get an email and then when I come here I have an announcement that I have been mentioned or responded to.

As for any other suggestions or defaults, you can do it all how you see fit, but I think it might be helpful if more threads appear on the pages or more posts appear on the pages within the threads to reduce the number of pages one has to flip through to find a certain thread or post.  Not sure if that is a setting.  I always thought numbering the posts would be good to for reference or citing a certain point within the thread.  I've seen some sites that number all their posts within the thread. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2020 11:47 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Peach Extraordianire

@rowland

Thanks. Much faster tonight.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 11, 2020 12:57 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

As for any other suggestions or defaults, you can do it all how you see fit, but I think it might be helpful if more threads appear on the pages or more posts appear on the pages within the threads to reduce the number of pages one has to flip through to find a certain thread or post.  Not sure if that is a setting.  I always thought numbering the posts would be good to for reference or citing a certain point within the thread.  I've seen some sites that number all their posts within the thread. 

Yes, there is a setting for the number of posts and threads to show per page.  I'll bump it up.  

The little paper clip icon in the top right of a post contains a link to that specific post.

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 11, 2020 5:57 am
nebish liked
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

@rowland

Thanks. Much faster tonight.

Good!  That's a relief.  This server box has two physical and 24 logical CPU's so it really has plenty of horsepower, but due to the Russian bot they were all running at 100% which is crazy.  We normally run about 20% utilized so plenty of room to handle traffic.  

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 11, 2020 5:59 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Peach Extraordianire

What is this new "member rating' I've been seeing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2020 10:00 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin
Posted by: @jerry

What is this new "member rating' I've been seeing?

It's the same idea as "rank" on the old site - a recognition of the number of posts you have made.  The scale is different so your ranking / rating is probably not the same as on the old site.  Since I brought across posts from Oct 2014 forward, older posts are not here to count towards the rank.  

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2020 5:55 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Peach Extraordianire

@rowland

Was going to ask details about the CPU, but figured it wouldn't be a good idea on a public forum.

I'm running an 8 core w/16 threads so I was wondering about where a dual that core could run 24 threads came from.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2020 7:49 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin
Posted by: @jerry

@rowland

Was going to ask details about the CPU, but figured it wouldn't be a good idea on a public forum.

I'm running an 8 core w/16 threads so I was wondering about where a dual that core could run 24 threads came from.

It was hosted at LiquidWeb where it’s been for many years.  That’s one of their larger boxes.  But I moved the site to Kinsta and I’ve been very pleased so far.  CPU is allocated on demand. 

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2020 9:13 pm
Share: