The Allman Brothers Band
Forum Private Messa...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Forum Private Message System (Replaced by Peachbook Private Messages)

19 Posts
7 Users
4 Likes
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

The new site has a completely new system for private messages between members.  

You can access it from the Members -> Private Messages menu:

pm menu

or from the Messages link in your Forum Profile:

private message system

Once in the messages page, click the icon with three horizontal lines and dots on the left side and see a menu where you can start a new conversation or access an old one.

Click the icon with three people to add more members to an existing private message thread:

add more people to a private message

To control spam, new members are not allowed to send private messages until they have at least 3 forum posts, which must be approved by a moderator.

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 1, 2020 5:04 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Are the old messages we may've had gone?

Posted : September 2, 2020 3:17 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

I see from your blue link that I can still log into the old site to access messages.  How long will that ability remain?

Thanks for all your time here, I'm sure this is a ton of work!

Posted : September 2, 2020 3:22 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

@nebish the old site will remain up indefinitely.

The new Private Message system is so different I don't see a way to import the old ones, unfortunately.  I'll keep digging though.

I guess you can think of it as a fresh start Smile

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 2, 2020 3:47 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

I looked further into migrating private messages.  It is possible, but it's challenging and carries the possibility of one member's messages going into someone else's inbox.  Just not willing to take that chance since the old site is still accessible.    Thanks for understanding,

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 3, 2020 11:29 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @rowland

I looked further into migrating private messages.  It is possible, but it's challenging and carries the possibility of one member's messages going into someone else's inbox.  Just not willing to take that chance since the old site is still accessible.    Thanks for understanding,

Rowland

Perfectly fine as long as the old messages are available, I don't think they are needed on both sites.

Posted : September 3, 2020 12:19 pm
rowland reacted
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

is there some sort of alert when we get a PM?

Posted : September 4, 2020 2:37 pm
rowland reacted
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

@stormyrider yes, you will get an email to your account email address notifying you of a new PM.

Also, you can turn off notifications on a per-PM basis by clicking the gear icon next to the message selecting "Turn off"

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 4, 2020 3:30 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

thx

Posted : September 4, 2020 4:41 pm
mjallen
(@mjallen)
Trusted Member

I seem to use this a lot.  It looks like a nice upgrade.  Thanks

Posted : September 4, 2020 7:20 pm
jsdonnan
(@jsdonnan)
Trusted Member

Struggling a little with the new system. Two fields at top, title & member. After sending, when I view this message, only the title appears next to the icon, not the person I sent it to. Is the name hidden or did the pm not get sent?

Posted : September 12, 2020 1:05 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @jsdonnan

Struggling a little with the new system. Two fields at top, title & member. After sending, when I view this message, only the title appears next to the icon, not the person I sent it to. Is the name hidden or did the pm not get sent?

Click the icon with three people to the left of the title.  The drop-down shows who received your PM, and has an "Add People" button you can click to add more people to the conversation.  Private messages can be 1:1, or can be among several people, a "conversation."  Just like emails.

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 12, 2020 4:42 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

The new Peachbook system has its own Private Messages.  We have made that the primary Private Message system for the site.

You can still access these the PM's you sent or received in the Forum PM system at https://allmanbrothersband.com/community/messages/

Thanks!

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 26, 2020 2:15 pm
PhotoRon286
(@photoron286)
Noble Member

@rowland Is there a place you can pin that link so we don't have to hunt for it while we get used to the new ride?

Posted : September 26, 2020 2:53 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

@photoron286 

Click the My Profile link in the Forum menu bar, then click the Messages link and that takes you to the "old" PM system.

There's an annual fee to keep it alive that I probably will not renew next August, so please use the new PM system for messages going forward.

Cheers,

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 26, 2020 3:04 pm
PhotoRon286
(@photoron286)
Noble Member

@rowland My only concern is the large number of addresses I accumulated over the years. My conversations with Bobo I saved to a Word doc.

Posted : September 26, 2020 6:35 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

@photoron286 Sounds like you are referring to the Private Message system on the "old" site - the "blue" one.  Those are still accessible - the site is at 

https://blue.allmanbrothersband.com and you can login and access your PM's there just as before.  Any problems shoot me a note and I'll figure it out.  I say that because changing the URL to "blue.allmanbrothersband.com" might break a few things and it would take me ten years to test everything!

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 26, 2020 6:55 pm
PhotoRon286 reacted
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

@rowland

I got an email saying I have a private message. I logged onto the site and under notifications and messages I can't find anything. Thanks

never mind. After I typed this a message popped up. I guess there is a delay

This post was modified 4 years ago by stormyrider

Posted : October 17, 2020 3:37 pm
TheyCameToBoston
(@theycametoboston)

Thanks for your efforts!

Posted : October 22, 2020 12:44 pm
rowland reacted
Share: