Wanting to get close to the Duane sound

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
sckeys
(@sckeys)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I’ve always played clean country tones on the guitar and now that I’m into slide full time I’d like to try and get that classic rock sound too. I’ve always kept effects to a minimum due to poverty and sanity. I’ve got the humbucker LP and a Marshal valvestate, I’m just wondering what effects to add. I know there isn’t a magic “Duane sound” in a package but I want to try and get close on a budget.

Posted : November 16, 2018 12:35 pm
njpaulc
(@njpaulc)
Trusted Member

Just my opinions, I own none of the devices mentioned.

A few years ago Electro Harmonix released 3 overdrive pedals, The East River Drive, Soul Food, and the OD Glove. They all seem to approach that "mild" Amp OD sound at a very reasonable price (under $100.) and if I were still playing out I would have tried the East River Drive by now. They have also released a number of OD pedals since those 3. There are always the Boutique pedals like the King of Tone that have waiting lists. Older pedals like the Ibanez Tube Screamer are still popular. If you are near a large music retail store you might be able to "try before you buy", although I would want to make sure returns a possible before I paid for anything. There is still nothing like a naturally over driven tube amp, but playing loud enough is not always possible.

I hope i haven't muddied the water, there are good samples videos of most of the pedals available today and some very good "shootout" videos on you tube comparing similar pedals.

Good luck and have fun finding the right sound.

Posted : November 19, 2018 5:30 am
Share: