TSA Sick Out

27 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I'm curious as to how this will play out, especially w/major airlines denouncing the shutdown as interfering w/airline security, flights schedules, and their bottom line & hints that they'll be looking for bailouts. The first airport chaos created by the Muslim ban was righted fairly quickly.

I completely support the TSA workers' right to this action. However, I only see 2 options here with fewer or no baggage scanners/screeners on site. Either 1) a terrorist takes the opportunity to cause an incident that could be catastrophic or 2) the TSA is shown not to be a particularly effective deterrent to terrorism if its absence doesn't affect incidents. We're frequently told that a lot of acts are prevented/disrupted behind the scenes at airports, but my understanding is that those employees are included in the shutdown & sick out as well.

Posted : January 5, 2019 9:25 am
OriginalGoober
(@originalgoober)
Noble Member

Democrats need to heed the call of their base working at TSA and struggling to meat their bills. End the shutdown then and get a border security deal done.

Posted : January 5, 2019 11:27 am
gina
 gina
(@gina)

I'm curious as to how this will play out, especially w/major airlines denouncing the shutdown as interfering w/airline security, flights schedules, and their bottom line & hints that they'll be looking for bailouts. The first airport chaos created by the Muslim ban was righted fairly quickly.

I completely support the TSA workers' right to this action. However, I only see 2 options here with fewer or no baggage scanners/screeners on site. Either 1) a terrorist takes the opportunity to cause an incident that could be catastrophic or 2) the TSA is shown not to be a particularly effective deterrent to terrorism if its absence doesn't affect incidents. We're frequently told that a lot of acts are prevented/disrupted behind the scenes at airports, but my understanding is that those employees are included in the shutdown & sick out as well.

The only people the TSA stop are normal people trying to get on the planes. The narrative that we need these low paid perverts to make travel safer is just not true. They are groping obstructionists!

Israel (the country many 'terrorists' would LOVE to bomb) does not need TSA agents and they have no incidents. Nobody gets groped there before getting on a plane and nothing gets blown up. Maybe we should learn a lesson from them in how to manage airport security. I saw a video about how they conduct enhanced interrogation, they calmly speak with the person and ask questions to determine any threat potential. It is done in a dignified way.

I disagree with the sick-out idea, I think they should just strike and look for other jobs to pay their bills till the shutdown ends. If the shutdown goes long term they will have to secure other jobs or become homeless, why wait till then?

[Edited on 1/5/2019 by gina]

Posted : January 5, 2019 12:11 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I disagree with the sick-out idea, I think they should just strike and look for other jobs to pay their bills till the shutdown ends.
[Edited on 1/5/2019 by gina]

What I don't understand is the role of the union in all this? On another thread someone was advocating joining a union as the answer to all employee problems no matter what industry.

I genuinely don't know if they CAN strike, whether the government employees union can fund furloughed employees, or if union workers can be hired elsewhere while still technically employed.

As a passenger, I think every day that TSA screening/lines are shortened/eliminated & there's no consequence, we're going to start questioning the need to have them watching our shoes goes thru a machine.

Posted : January 5, 2019 1:51 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

Democrats need to heed the call of their base working at TSA and struggling to meat their bills. End the shutdown then and get a border security deal done.

“Many of those people, maybe most of those people, that really have not been ― and will not be getting their money in at this moment ― those people, in many cases, are the biggest fan of what we’re doing,” Trump told reporters during a press conference.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-shutdown-furloughed-workers_us_5c2fc50ce4b0bcb4c25bab28

If that's so, good bet that "base working at TSA" aren't Democrats then.

Posted : January 5, 2019 2:51 pm
MartinD28
(@martind28)
Famed Member

Do you have a short memory, or do you just block out facts of the Trump Shutdown? Here is the clown, himself admitting he is proud to shutdown the gov't.

Posted : January 5, 2019 3:33 pm
Chain
(@chain)
Noble Member

The irony that seems to escape most Trump fans is that actual security of the nation is being substantially curtailed and hindered simply to get a political win for Dear Leader....This shutdown, as made clear in the very title of this thread, directly hinders the very agencies that we know protect the targets actual terrorists try to penetrate.

But never mind that, as long as Little Donnie is portrayed as "fighting for the wall he promised Mexico would pay for" nothing else matters. Oh, that and keeping Rushbo and Laura happy so they can tell their viewers and listeners they convinced Trump to keep up the fight....

Posted : January 6, 2019 5:57 am
gina
 gina
(@gina)

I remember long ago when the air traffic controllers went on strike, and they were threatened with being replaced, despite that they were in CRUCIAL positions. People cannot go for long amounts of time without money, I guess they have to use whatever paid time off they have just so that they will get paid eventually. Can the govt. give them some form of leave of absences so that they could work elsewhere even at temp jobs to get some money and still have their old jobs and benefits to return to when the shutdown ends? What also gets me is that when unions strike, it only hurts the workers. Some workers get let go, and the rest go back to work getting minimal raises which is actually the cost of the savings of the payroll for those let go. So there is no real increase or victory, just the workers funding their own raises and agreeing that some of them will lose their jobs in the process. I knew one woman who was fired three times during contract negotiations/settlements because she had the least seniority, and when things would improve they would call her back. One of the admin people told me it's all a sham, the upper level union bosses know exactly how long the strike will last and so does the hospital, people out there marching and chanting are not accomplishing anything. After being laid off for the third time the effected worker quit and then just got a regular in office union job.

Posted : January 6, 2019 10:44 am
Muleman1994
(@muleman1994)

This manufactured "crisis" is laughable.
Fake News is having fun while not one incident at an airport has occurred.

Posted : January 6, 2019 10:46 am
(@2112)
Famed Member

The talk that needing a wall is and is a national emergency is the laughable manufactured crisis.

Posted : January 6, 2019 10:50 am
Muleman1994
(@muleman1994)

The talk that needing a wall is and is a national emergency is the laughable manufactured crisis.

The families of the people assaulted, robbed, raped or murdered by illegal alien criminals are not laughing.

Posted : January 6, 2019 11:00 am
(@2112)
Famed Member

The families of the people assaulted, robbed, raped or murdered by illegal alien criminals are not laughing.

Likewise families of those assaulted and murdered by white nationalists aren't laughing, but then the president likes to refer to them as fine people.

Posted : January 6, 2019 11:04 am
Muleman1994
(@muleman1994)

Likewise families of those assaulted and murdered by white nationalists aren't laughing, but then the president likes to refer to them as fine people.

No one has been assaulted or murdered by what you call "white nationalists".
Do keep trying.
Someday you might post something accurate.

Posted : January 6, 2019 11:44 am
(@2112)
Famed Member

Do keep trying.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/white-supremacists-committed-most-extremist-killings-2017-adl-says-n838896

Posted : January 6, 2019 11:57 am
Muleman1994
(@muleman1994)

Do keep trying.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/white-supremacists-committed-most-extremist-killings-2017-adl-says-n838896/blockquote >

NBC is Fake News.

Posted : January 6, 2019 12:35 pm
(@2112)
Famed Member

Do keep trying.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/white-supremacists-committed-most-extremist-killings-2017-adl-says-n838896/blockquote >

NBC is Fake News.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Sorry, I will try to remember that all articles that are opposite your point of view are fake news. Sorry that I keep forgetting that.

Posted : January 6, 2019 12:59 pm
Muleman1994
(@muleman1994)

Do keep trying.

NBC is Fake News.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Sorry, I will try to remember that all articles that are opposite your point of view are fake news. Sorry that I keep forgetting that.

You Fake News article cites as their source "the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism" which is a well known as a far-left extremist hate organization.

Posted : January 6, 2019 1:06 pm
BrerRabbit
(@brerrabbit)
Illustrious Member

You Fake News article cites as their source "the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism" which is a well known as a far-left extremist hate organization.

Do you really regard the Anti-Defamation League as a "far left hate organization"? Closet door is open a bit there Holocaust Denier Boy.

Posted : January 6, 2019 1:53 pm
BrerRabbit
(@brerrabbit)
Illustrious Member

Posted : January 6, 2019 2:17 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Do keep trying.

Your inaccurate comment was not directed to me, but I'll point out that James Fields - identified in court transcripts as a Neo-Nazi, white supremacist, and white nationalist - was convicted of the 1st degree murder of Heather Heyer as well as the malicious wounding of 8 other people in Charlottesville VA. That's one dead and eight assaulted for a total of nine people who have been murdered or assaulted by a white nationalist.

Posted : January 6, 2019 2:42 pm
BrerRabbit
(@brerrabbit)
Illustrious Member

"White Nationalist," "Neo Nazi," "White Spermracist," are all fictional labels concocted by far-left hate groups to further their communist agenda. Oh wait, their racist hate driven communist agenda.

Hey, that sounded pretty good! I think I'm getting the hang of this! The trick is anytime someone brings up racism or nazis, KKK, or anything like that - immediately lash back that they are hateful racist commies- it's easy, you don't have to think at all, just stick to the script. If things get challenging with that crafty liberal bs, just vanish for a while.

[Edited on 1/7/2019 by BrerRabbit]

Posted : January 6, 2019 3:48 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

Do keep trying.

NBC is Fake News.

Maybe. Lots of hate by our current president too.

Posted : January 6, 2019 4:47 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

"White Nationalist," "Neo Nazi," "White Spermracist," are all fictional labels concocted by far-left hate groups to further their communist agenda. Oh wait, their racist hate driven communist agenda.

Hey, that sounded pretty good! I think I'm getting the hang of this! The trick is anytime someone brings up racism or nazis, KKK, or anything like that - immediately lash back that they are hateful racist commies- it's easy, you don't have to think at all, just stick to the script. If things get challenging with that crafty liberal bs, just vanish for a while.

[Edited on 1/7/2019 by BrerRabbit]

Amazing! Indisputable facts that can't be dismissed as "fake news" cause vanishing acts. Presto!

Posted : January 6, 2019 6:48 pm
BrerRabbit
(@brerrabbit)
Illustrious Member

Amazing! Indisputable facts that can't be dismissed as "fake news" cause vanishing acts. Presto!

It is amazing - but not really magic, you just have to know how your mark thinks.

Watch this trick: "So, Muleman, was the Jewish Holocaust fake news?"

Where did he go?

I should put that question in an aerosol can and call it "Mule-Away."

Posted : January 7, 2019 6:50 am
BoytonBrother
(@boytonbrother)

“Meat”, lol. Yet another post by Goober about income. A sore subject for him I guess. It explains why he acts like an expert on these issues despite no experience in it. Sounds like he’s fantasizing about how he wishes he could be.

Posted : January 7, 2019 7:04 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I should put that question in an aerosol can and call it "Mule-Away."

I like the way you think. Packaging in aerosol cans made in China which fake news says causes environmental damage will save you a ton. You'll be profitable overnight.

Posted : January 7, 2019 7:09 am
BrerRabbit
(@brerrabbit)
Illustrious Member

Hell yeah. Maybe add some freon so that it can freeze gum on carpets, as a bonus feature.

Posted : January 7, 2019 1:07 pm
Share: