The Allman Brothers Band
MLB: Tampa Bay Rays...

Notifications
Clear all

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Still in First Place!

1,909 Posts
31 Users
98 Likes
157 K Views
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee

The game was fun, it was a beautiful night for baseball and nice to be back at the ballpark. It's always hard to gauge FL, I was expecting full capacity, but they still had 3 out of 4 seats covered and unavailable. Pretty empty.

Miller Park has that airline hanger that a lot of early 2000s stadiums have - gets some weird shadows in the afternoon, makes it feel less basebally and more like the NFL combine. But it's not a bad place to watch a game, I like being able to get an Old Fashioned at any concession stand. And yeah, there's also a bus that goes right downtown to the stadium. And downtown Milwaukee has come a long way in the past 20 years, I love Milwaukee. I've heard the area around Fiserv is pretty cool.

I'm not totally sure what has re-opened or remained open, but here are some cool spots -

The Safe House re-opens in June, if you've never been, it's a trip: https://www.safe-house.com/

There's also mini-bowling bars: https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/kozs-mini-bowl-spelunking

Wolski's and Bryant's are both pretty cool: https://www.visitmilwaukee.org/articles/food-and-drink/old-school-bars/

If you're downtown, this plaque is somewhere: https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/birthplace-of-the-american-league

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 29, 2021 11:15 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

There were two John Kennedys in Wash DC in 1962 & 63 - one was president of the US, the other a (Washington) Senator - both shared the same birthdate 

Posted : May 29, 2021 4:09 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

“While in Houston

McCullers Jr.

has never pitched a complete season

rivals Stephen for injuries

6 years in MLB, all of 508 IP

32-25 career W-L

Damaged Goods - & They Sign Him To An $85M Extension”

Watta shock - “shoulder injury worse than thought, now to miss most of June” - Astros deserve to hold the bag on this one

but sure enough - Kluber’s no hitter gassed him, gonna miss several starts

David gets another start tonite, guessing no more than 2-3 IP - it’s Stephen’s turn tonite too, slumping WBT needs his 5-6 IP

Chris Sale possibly due back later this summer - same Luis Severino for NY fans

it’s nothing for a ball player to miss entire seasons or more while in rehab recovering from injury

Posted : June 1, 2021 10:51 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yesterday was the anniversary of Ten Cent Beer Night in Cleveland. 

I had an older friend who was from Ohio and claims he was there. He wasn't one to tell tall tales but I have also heard from several people who claim to have been at Woodstock and I kind of look at them with a degree to skepticism.

Oh, and even after the debacle they did it again a few months later. 😮 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : June 5, 2021 8:07 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Don't look now but the Flubs are actually in first place in a bad division. Even after losing their last two games. I think MLB should just put three teams from the NL West in the playoffs and leave the Central division champ at home.

Posted : June 5, 2021 8:11 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

😁makes sense to me too! (LA SF SD), some weaksters so far this season alright - yep win or lose Cubs are rockin’😮 - same ChiSox, Tygiz almost pulled it off last night, but not quite & ChiSox back in 1st place by %age points over TB

SAWX, taking a wknd series in the Brawnx’d be a cool breeze on a hot day - & it’s hot🌞 - 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : June 5, 2021 9:53 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee Wait, the NL Central is a bad division? Have you seen the NL East?

The Cubs swept the Dodgers and Padres in 3 games. The Brewers split their 4-game series with SD and took 3 games from the Dodgers. And you want to give the NL West their playoff spot in [checks calendar] early June just because the Cubs dropped 2 games to the Giants?

NL Central looks competitive to me. Brewers, Cards, and Cubs all over .500 and within 1.5 games of each other. Brewers just got Yelich back and seem to have found their bats again. The top 3 in the NL West are good but it's early. I think you've been spending too much time around sour-puss Cubs fans.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 5, 2021 12:27 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob

That was tongue in cheek of course. Obviously, that couldn't happen. And yeah the N.L. East stinks too. It seems like ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball has a game on every week from that division. The Mets and Phils aren't very good but the alternative that they always seem to show is the Red Sux/Yanks. But I don't think they've been on that much this year.

Regarding the White Sux, I wanted to go see the Tiggers today but it is so hot my wife didn't want to go. Plus they jacked the ticket prices way up. Not as bad as Wrigley but still expensive.

Posted : June 5, 2021 3:33 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Speaking of The White Sux, they rolled out a new uniform today.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-nike-city-connect-uniforms-20210605-22ptabdc6nfsnl52wb4b5p3hbu-story.html

I'm glad I'm not a Sux fan because I think these things are God awful. I understand they are trying to show pride for being from the south side of Chicago which is cool but to me they look like gangsters. Last thing the south side of Chicago needs. 😮 

Posted : June 5, 2021 3:48 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Right now they’re on the south side of a 4-1 score - Miggy 2-3, RBI, 2 runs - he could be coming around - but yeah it looks like Bad Bad Leroy Brown himself would’ve bean wearing that shirt🤷🏽🙃

They both start at 7:15 tonite in NY, Sox in Bronx, B’s in LI - wins would mean winning both road series - A Long Way To Go, even if Broonz came back w/a 3-1 lead - we saw what happened w/Leafs-Habs

Posted : June 5, 2021 4:13 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

God the Flubs need to come home. The hell with the west coast. Now they have to go to San Diego who is probably sore after what we did to them last week. Then they come home and St. Louis comes here on the first day of Chicago being 100% opened. Stay the hell away from Wrigleyville. 😮 

Posted : June 6, 2021 7:18 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

NL Central looks competitive to me. Brewers, Cards, and Cubs all over .500 and within 1.5 games of each other. Brewers just got Yelich back and seem to have found their bats again. The top 3 in the NL West are good but it's early. I think you've been spending too much time around sour-puss Cubs fans.

Yep the Crew has caught fire & even Cincy has snuck into the race - Wrigley to reopen 100%, it’s cause for celebration as it should be at all the parks - it’s a happy mayhem, covid is over….

….we need this one to stay w/in one of TB & a 🧹 tied 3-3 bottom 7

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : June 6, 2021 9:38 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stephen
Posted by: @porkchopbob

Yep the Crew has caught fire & even Cincy has snuck into the race - Wrigley to reopen 100%, it’s cause for celebration as it should be at all the parks - it’s a happy mayhem, covid is over….

….we need this one to stay w/in one of TB & a 🧹 tied 3-3 bottom 7

Yeah the Brewers are on quite the roll. Cincy too as you said. And Wrigley will be 100% open Friday when St. Louis comes to town. I know people who are still apprehensive about going though. So be it I guess. Nobody is forcing anyone. I've been to games but it was before it was 100%. They separated people. I think it will be interesting and frankly, kind of strange to start with. I'm kind of surprised that you can get in for $50 for the cheap seats, especially with The Cards here. Their fans come here in droves. 

Might try to catch a game this weekend. I just hope the Flubs don't get swept by the Padres this week.

Posted : June 7, 2021 3:21 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

So LaRussa passed John McGraw for second all time in managerial wins. Now all he has to do is manage until he is about 120 years old and he can pass Cornelius McGillicuddy. 😛 

Posted : June 7, 2021 3:48 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Connie Mack - not the last, the Only one of his kind Ever (any sport) - owner/manager, 1st half of 20th century, in Philadelphia, famously waving his outfielders into proper position….

Miguel Cabrera made a similar milestone recently too, passing The Babe for all time hits - however it also broke an 0 for 27 & he’s still below .200😮 - he’ll tie Ruth’s longtime teammate Lou Gehrig w/his next HR

but yeah if Reds won this midweek Mil series it’d make things interesting indeed in the NL Cntrl - both teams are hot

so are Sox but now it’s Hou, they waxed us 3 of 4 two weeks ago

it won’t get any easier keeping up w/TB, Jon Lester himself will experience Devil Rays tmrw night, so keep it goin’ Sox, playing great so far😁👏🌞

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : June 7, 2021 10:57 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Connie Mack - not the last, the Only one of his kind Ever (any sport) - owner/manager, 1st half of 20th century, in Philadelphia, famously waving his outfielders into proper position….

And I think he always wore a business suit in the dugout. 😀 

Speaking of, I guess I am old school but I don't like it that managers today don't wear uniforms. Why not? What's with the shirts, hoodies and pullovers? They can't wear a uniform like everyone else? 

Posted : June 8, 2021 8:42 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen

I've posted it before but Miggy needs to hang it up. He did hit a homer the other day.

Speaking of over the hill first basemen, it's nice to see Albert Pujols still doing well in L.A. I thought he should have gone to an A.L. team so he could DH but good for him. Granted it isn't that difficult to play first but still. 😀 

Posted : June 8, 2021 8:50 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah if Cabrera hit his 500th HR in Detroit & was riding the pine at that point - that would be a good end to his career - feeling the love - Puljos is doing marginally better at Chavez Ravine than in Anaheim, still only .229 tho

Posted : June 8, 2021 10:32 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Yeah if Cabrera hit his 500th HR in Detroit & was riding the pine at that point - that would be a good end to his career - feeling the love - Puljos is doing marginally better at Chavez Ravine than in Anaheim, still only .229 tho

Two days ago he was .285. Small sample size. Be careful about stats. 😉 

Posted : June 9, 2021 9:47 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Wow - yeah stats can get skewed at times - my source was baseball-reference.com - which said he hit .198 in 24 games w/LAA, and is at .229 in 16 games w/LAD - espn stats have him at a 3 for 14 clip in his last 5 games - his OBP is .288, guessing that’s the confusion

This post was modified 3 years ago 4 times by Stephen

Posted : June 9, 2021 11:10 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

So baseball is cracking down on pitchers using sticky substances to improve spin rates.

Bauer and Cole being called out by other players for using sticky stuff.

Watched an interview with Cole today and he really tap danced around the question and did not deny being guilty. He looked guilty as hell IMHO.

His spin rate was down his last start and he got shelled so tonight start against the Twinkees will be very interesting to see if it was a one off or if his spin rate is again down.

If it turns out he was relying on sticky stuff to improve his pitches and he ends up just another average pitcher I think Cashman will have a lot to answer for that big contract he handed Cole.

Posted : June 9, 2021 2:31 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I saw that. He was caught flat footed. He should be smart enough to figure he is going to get asked that at some point. I have no idea what spin rate means. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/yankees-ace-gerrit-cole-doesnt-deny-doctoring-baseballs-i-dont-quite-know-how-to-answer-that-225028223.html

Posted : June 9, 2021 4:21 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@bill_graham

And players are always going to try to get an edge. In any sport. Did MLB not learn anything from the steroid era? A lot of former players have told stories about what they did. Regarding 'roids I have a hard time believing Bud Selig didn't know what was going on. Baseball just didn't care. They were more interested in getting people to come to the games after the disastrous strike. 

If you can get an advantage and are willing to take the risk I guess you do it. 

Posted : June 9, 2021 4:42 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I looked up prices for a ticket this weekend at Wrigley. $49 for a cheapie. Not too bad. I go to checkout and this is what came up:

12% City and County Amusement Tax $5.88

Per Ticket Fee (including tax) $5.75

Order Processing Fee $4.50

$65.13 out the door. And all of this for something you just put on your phone. 🙄 

Posted : June 10, 2021 8:24 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

It’s way outta whack alright, yeesh - but a breath of fresh air today & a reminder of the good old days as SF’s DiScalafini (?), a complete-game 2 hitter, thank you & kudos - holy mac what’s w/Gmen, they’ve gone off

Same ChiSox, another starter outta commission legging out a grounder - possibly for season they’re saying - yet they continue to burn

so far it’s Giants, 39-23, .629 -

TB 40-24, .625 -

ChiSox 39-24, .619 -

BoSox 39-25, .609

& LAD, 38-25

finally, with Scherzer joining Stephen on sidelines (exited after 12 pitches w/‘apparent’ injury), Jon Lester becomes crucial for WBT

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : June 11, 2021 9:58 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen

My wife is a die hard Chisux fan and she brought up the same thing about their injuries. I don't understand how guys are having leg injuries, pulling hammies, etc. When I was in high school our baseball team ran. A LOT. Our school had a rectangular construction to it and when it was too cold to be outside we ran the hallways. Not just the pitchers, everyone. I hated it. Nobody ever pulled up lame. I think they still make pitchers run a lot.

But I told her hey, they are still in first place. Admittedly not a great division. You get to play the woeful Tiggers like 18 times a year or something and the surprisingly horribly bad Twins.

Funny about WBT. Is calling them the Nationals not politically correct? 😉 

Posted : June 12, 2021 5:50 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I checked my bets this morning. I need the Tiggers to win 65 or fewer games. Currently they are on pace to win 64 and change. Need some more losses. Not too confident about that.

I need the White Sux to win more than the Flubs but the Flubs are playing better. 

I did win a game last night. Friend gave me the Tiggers +2.5 runs. Sux won by one. 

I also bet my friend that the Bears will win more than 8. If they finish 8-8 it's a push. I don't even like the Bears but I figure they gotta be able to win 9, right?

Posted : June 12, 2021 7:22 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

🤪🤙Lee, their football team is the WFT, so it’s sorta a guilt by association thing - plus it’s shorter to type😜🙃

wonder how Lester will hold up - so far….not so good #s-wise this season

how could it make Jays fans feel to sign  George Springer to a $150M deal - & miss his whole 1st season so far w/“a quad strain”

something is so entirely f**ked up w/these nothing BS injuries that sideline players for months & seasons at a time - that said I still follow the game closely - so let’s go Sox, we got bounced 2day

Posted : June 12, 2021 7:50 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen

When I see WFT I immediately see WTF? And we all know what that means.

Yeah, I don't get the injuries. Are these guys so muscular that they are more prone to pulling something? I dunno. The only thing I ever pulled was a groin and that hurt like holy hell. I wrapped the heck out of it and kept playing. It kind of healed on its own after a while.

Regarding the Jays, I wonder when they can come back home and play. I think Americans can go to Canada now so why not? I watched a Jays "home game" the other day and they were in a dinky minor league park. 

Posted : June 13, 2021 7:16 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Flubs going for a sweep tonight over the Cards.

My mother in law and father in law will be here Monday and want to do one of those ballpark tours at Wrigley. I think the Flubs offer them every day when they aren't playing so I looked it up and they have them for about two hours. 30 bucks. Plus they are going to see the White Sux that night so I thought that would be a fun day. My wife got me out of the whole thing. 😉 

I took a tour of Yankee Stadium during one of the Beacon runs. That was cool as hell. The only bad parts were they were rehabbing the dugouts so we couldn't go there and we were not allowed to take pictures in the clubhouse. They were REALLY strict about that. You could go into a guy's locker and touch things if you wanted but NO pictures.

Monument Park is amazing. I don't know what they did in the new place but it was great in the old park. I gotta find my pictures. 

Posted : June 13, 2021 8:17 am
Page 40 / 64
Share: