The Allman Brothers Band
MLB: Tampa Bay Rays...

Notifications
Clear all

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Still in First Place!

1,910 Posts
31 Users
98 Likes
158.6 K Views
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stephen

but yeah George Brett was something, that nuclear meltdown on that umpire at Yankee Stadium in the pine tar game, one of the great replays

Lets go Sox

If he hadn't had all those injuries toward the end who knows how many hits he would have had?

I know everyone has seen that footage a million times. That game happened to be on I think the game of the week on NBC or something. This was way before every single game was televised so I got to watch it. I remember standing in our living room and seeing him come out the dugout and while I was just a kid, I think I said "what the hell?". 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : May 16, 2021 8:19 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My least favorite George Brett story was in 1993. The company I worked for somehow had tickets at Tiger Stadium. I don't know why, we were over an hour away to get there. They would kind of release seats to the employees. I guess if they couldn't give them away. So I chose to see the Royals. These were primo seats, lower upper deck, first base line, front row. I'm psyching my buddies up for this. We get there, I have my scorecard ready, they announce the lineup, no George. His last game in Tiger Stadium since he was going to retire. He wasn't there. I was really bummed.

Come to find out his father had passed away so he was away from the team.

Posted : May 16, 2021 8:35 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tiggers no hitter last night. 😉 

Posted : May 19, 2021 6:01 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Read it was their 8th all time no hitter, but it’s really 9 counting Gallaraga’s perfect game - an umpiring mistake shouldn’t keep what would’ve been a no hitter, from being officially recognized as such - especially when the ump owned up to his gaffe

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : May 19, 2021 8:06 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Jesus now it’s Kluber - 6 outs away from his own no hitter

🥅  🏒 no 2 teams anywhere are more evenly matched than B’s-Wash - every game likely to go to OT

Posted : May 19, 2021 10:13 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Read it was their 8th all time no hitter, but it’s really 9 counting Gallaraga’s perfect game - an umpiring mistake shouldn’t keep what would’ve been a no hitter, from being officially recognized as such - especially when the ump owned up to his gaffe

I was in a bar watching the game. I made them put the channel on so I could see it. I was the only one watching and I about lost it when the runner was called safe. It wasn't as bad as the call in the 1985 World Series at first and both umps feel horrible about their calls.

But I don't know how you can credit a guy for throwing a no hitter when he didn't. Even if we might think he did.

Posted : May 20, 2021 7:42 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

The first thing I think of when I think of George Brett

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 20, 2021 8:07 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

The Brooklyn Tip Tops, cool - had heard of the Bklyn Superbas b4 but not this - named after Tip Top bread, too funny

Tip Tops were in a different league and only lasted 2 seasons or so. Superbas was one of many nicknames for the Dodgers (also Robins and Bridegrooms).

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 20, 2021 8:50 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob

Thanks, I really didn't need a George Brett poop story though. 😮 He was very thorough in his description. 😉 

Posted : May 20, 2021 10:44 am
PorkchopBob reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I think Brooklyn named them the Robins after Wilbert Robinson.

Posted : May 20, 2021 10:47 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee I believe you're right, the local media continued to call them "The Flock" for years after they officially adopted the Dodgers name.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 20, 2021 10:50 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Who in the HELL recorded George Brett talking about sh*tting his pants?  Even more curious considering that cell phones were not prevalent then.

Posted : May 21, 2021 6:07 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robslob

Who in the HELL recorded George Brett talking about sh*tting his pants? 

That's what I thought. And why would anyone even admit that? And in such graphic detail to boot. 

Bob, when you say the first thing you thought about with him other than the Pine Tar Game perhaps I would have thought the 1980 World Series.

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/03/01/sports/brett-in-hospital-for-surgery.html

I remember at the time the joke was that George was a Royal A**hole. Clever.

Posted : May 21, 2021 7:01 am
PorkchopBob reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Going to be a beautiful weekend in Chicago and this happens to be one of the rare times when both The Sux & the Flubs are both away. And I am free to do whatever I want. Too bad one of them isn't playing in Milwaukee. I could shoot up there for that.

Posted : May 21, 2021 7:10 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

This is interesting. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/cc-sabathia-rips-tony-la-russa-over-hr-controversy-he-shouldnt-be-fing-managing-that-team-152234601.html

Posted : May 21, 2021 8:17 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

he’s baaaack

yep the nightmare known to every NL hitter as S t e p h e n

OK that was premature - he needed a little more time, but now he’s fit to go “from Memorial Day wknd moving forward,” w/a dry-run start tonite vs an easy AL team, the nearby neighboring lowlyOs - w/a 5 inning cap that will stick even if he’s given up no hits - which is a real possibility given Balt’s lack of offense

Still think they should groom him to be a relievah - for that, they should bring in Eck for counseling/tutelage etc - I can hear it now - “Stephen, you don’t gotta worry about getting gassed, it’s only 1-2 innings - so do what I did - come outta the pen & feed em aspirins….”etc

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : May 21, 2021 8:38 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

That Brett vid was hilarious!!!!

his team is sliding down the ****ter tho in the same way he described the poop going down his pants - w/improving Det in this wknd

I hate Phila, let’s go Sox

Posted : May 21, 2021 8:50 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

A grand slam for Miggy on a 3-2 count w/2 out putting Tygiz up 7-5 - 2 for 3 on the nite - yep the old cliche, that old geezer could be heating up w/the weathah

Stephen completed the program almost perfectly - how will he fare from now on…..

Sawx🤙

whetha 1st pl reg season or up 3-1 in playoffs, Boston fans nevah think it’s a wrap b4 it’s time

hoping robslob will see Curry & Warriyz catch up, then go off in 2nd half

If we’re always playing from behind in upcoming series, Celts will lose it

✌️

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : May 21, 2021 10:54 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Cabrera needs 113 hits to get to 3,000 and nine homers to get to 500. If I could bet on it I would say he gets to 500 homers before 3,000 hits. 

Posted : May 22, 2021 7:28 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My Tiggers are now on pace to win 66 games this season. This frosts my buttons because I bet my friend they would only win 65 or less. How the heck are the Twinkies worse than them?

Posted : May 22, 2021 8:25 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @lee

Cabrera needs 113 hits to get to 3,000 and nine homers to get to 500. If I could bet on it I would say he gets to 500 homers before 3,000 hits. 

Same here (bet) - he should, barring injury, be able to make 500 HR this season - next milestone, Lou Gehrig at 493

pujols 4 for 15 so far w/LAD - he might heat up too - all 3 of those Calif teams are burnin down the NL West

Posted : May 22, 2021 8:36 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

https://sports.yahoo.com/white-sox-lorettas-lounge-tony-la-russa-guaranteed-rate-mlb-043109170.html

Some of the family was on the news this morning and they are really disappointed. The sign that says "LaRussa's Lounge" had one there prior to that saying "Loretta's Lounge". According to the family, the Sox took the sign down and didn't even tell them about it. Apparently the Sox discarded the sign and the family is upset because they think they were entitled to it. 

Can't really argue with that. I imagine the Sox will have another sign(s) made and give it(them) to the family with Loretta's name.

Or maybe La Russa will hear about the story and suggest the Sox change it back.

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Lee

Posted : May 27, 2021 8:57 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah what’s up w/that anyway - thought at 1st it must’ve been done by the stadium landlord, G. Rate - but it was the ballclub’s doing - Chas. Comiskey never would’ve allowed it, he knew bad PR/upset fans could hurt ticket sales 

hopefully LaRussa & ChiSox fans will have better luck changing it get back Loretta, than BoSox fans did trying to get the ballclub to leave Yawkey Way alone

top 6 teams so far are in AL East & NL West (3 each) - David had his 1st start last nite in a by-committee game for LAD in which they used 7 pitchers - David went the 1st 2.2 innings

lets go Sawx, it’s Miami this wknd

hope all enjoy the holiday wknd

Posted : May 28, 2021 9:33 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Anyone else see this play? All he had to do was step on the bag at first to end the inning, instead an easy out became an RBI double.

https://sports.yahoo.com/javy-baez-fools-pirates-into-the-dumbest-baseball-play-of-the-season-174849767.html

Might go to a minor league baseball game tonight. First game since March 2020.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 28, 2021 10:14 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

That might be the dumbest play I've ever seen. Did the first baseman and the catcher NOT know how many out there were? They could have let the runner cross home plate. Every Pirate should have been screaming at them to just throw to first. And why wasn't the second baseman covering the bag? That also would have ended it. 

I haven't read anything from the Pirates but my goodness that was just bad. Funny, but bad.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Posted : May 28, 2021 10:23 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nice that you are going to a game. I watched some of a Blue Jays "home" game in Buffalo the other day. I miss minor league ball. 

Oh wait, I could drive to Detroit. 😮 

Posted : May 28, 2021 10:39 am
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, looking forward to it. It's Marlins-Cards minor league teams (go Hammerheads!), usually pretty empty unless it's a holiday and the St Louis fans are in town. Last March we were sitting in the same stands watching the Marlins and Mets spring training game, talking to a guy who had just canceled his trip to Italy because of the virus. Ended up being the last event in public we went to. Who knew?

I'll be in WI (hopefully) next month and hope to catch a game there too. The Madison Mallards is mostly college players so it's pretty chill. The stadium stops selling beer after the 7th inning stretch, but they are 2-for-1 during the top of the 7th. They used to do a "Beer Goggle Race" just to remind everyone to drive "safe".

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 28, 2021 11:16 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Weird day for baseball in Chicago yesterday. It was freezing for the Flubs day game. Everybody in the crowd was all bundled up. They got that game in. Then it started absolutely pouring so they had to cancel the White Sux night game.

So the Sux are playing a doubleheader today. 1:10 & 4:40 for the games. That's surprising because they are almost back-to-back games. And they won't have time to clear out the fans after the first game. 

Posted : May 29, 2021 6:35 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@porkchopbob

That sounds like fun. When I lived in Lansing, MI I always went to the Cubs single A team's games, the Lugnuts. They had "Thirsty Thursdays". A pint of beer for a dollar. While it was a cheap night out it was kind of a dumb idea because all it did was bring in Michigan State students (many who weren't 21) to get lubed up before they hit the bars in East Lansing. They couldn't have cared less about baseball.

But a lot of the attendees were college girls. 😉 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Lee

Posted : May 29, 2021 6:45 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Speaking of Wisconsin, my wife and I are going up to Milwaukee soon. While I have been by it several times, I've never seen a game at Miller Park so that is an objective. Some of the bars in downtown Milwaukee offer a free shuttle service to and from the games.  

Posted : May 29, 2021 6:52 am
Page 39 / 64
Share: