World Class Peach

Brewers are getting the best defensive OF in the league in JBJ

doesnt look like we’ll be much this year - takedown/rebuild mode at the moment 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2021 1:03 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@stephen Yelich-Cain-Bradly will make a pretty nice outfield.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2021 1:07 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Yes it will - if Cain returns to form & JBJ hits...top-shelfo time in field & at plate

Ryan Braun too, guessing he’ll be in top form if healthy, had a solid 2019

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2021 2:12 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @oldcoot
Posted by: @lee

@oldcoot

You obviously must know a lot more about jerseys than me 😀  but what you described is nothing like this particular one. There is no strip tag. Not sure what that is. There is the size and a patch sewn underneath that with the number "72". The year. Nothing about his number "1" either. I guess this is an outlier. Like I said, it was authenticated. Oh well, it's cool to have. 🙂 

I suppose different teams may have identified them differently back in those days. Now, the strip tag in the inner neck of the jersey is pretty standard. Along those lines I have an older Expos jersey from '74, a guy that I played against in high school. He never had much of an MLB career but became a long time MLB pitching coach for several different teams. His doesn't have a neck strip tag but has a sewn on tag on the lower left shirt tail area, '74 Set 2. I have another from the 60's, different player/team all together, that does have the neck strip tag detailing the uniform number, year, set and size.

That Staub sounds like a batting practice jersey or maybe from spring training. Le Grande Orange!

I got to thinking about this today so I looked at the jersey again when I got home. I seem to remember cases where jerseys were somewhat altered as in you could tell if the player's name and or number was changed. I think that was done for minor league and/or spring training games. Restitched actually so they could be reused. So I looked at it and in the right "coal tail" I guess you would call it, the letters F L I P in black magic marker are written on the inner part of it. I wonder if that pertains to reusing it? 

I think we need to get a former clubhouse manager to get to the bottom of this! 😛 

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 5, 2021 4:03 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @stephen

Brewers are getting the best defensive OF in the league in JBJ

doesnt look like we’ll be much this year - takedown/rebuild mode at the moment 

You and my Tiggers could sit down, have a cold one and commiserate. Hey The White Sux have made it happen. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 5, 2021 4:07 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Speaking of The White Sux there was a story on this morning's local news about average amount of beer consumed and money spent on beer at baseball games. The White Sux were number one in MLB in quantity of beers per person and money spent. The Flubs were 14th I think. 

Wrigley has the stereotype of being this beer swilling, drunken fest while Comiskey doesn't at all. I've been to both places a million times and there is some truth to Wrigley yet I don't see that at Comiskey at all. 

I have no idea how this study was conducted. Maybe it based on averages or something and since there usually aren't too many people at Comiskey the numbers could get skewed. Plus you can't afford a beer at Wrigley anyway.

Cheaper to go to one of the bars around there and watch the game on TV. 😛 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 5, 2021 4:16 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Yeah those studies can sometimes be sketchy - one would think it’d have to be Wrigley just based on more attendance - but ya never know - back in the days of fans🧐, everyone liked to quaff a few, if you had deep pockets & didn’t have to drive

but yeah, no fans looking moot at Fenway in 2021 - likely little to see in Alex’ return - he doesn’t have much, but we may not necessarily stink out loud either...

as you said, at least it’ll be cheaper for us Sawx, & Tygiz fans to drown our sorrows at home/the local tap, instead of at the pahks...couldn’t if we wanted to anyway😮🤪

last hurrah for Miggy & Albert Puljos, 2 greats - thought it might be ChiSox-SD WS, but w/Jon Lester now backing up Stephen & Scherzer? Could be a repeat of 2019 for the WBT😮

Let’s go Sawx, ya never know

This post was modified 1 month ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 5, 2021 10:48 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@stephen

I wouldn't say Pujols is necessarily done after this year. Miggy better be. He's a good guy and all and perhaps it is easy for me to say but if he truly cared about the Tigers I think he should just bow out gracefully and save the team some money to use in other areas. As much as I love the Tiggers, it's painful watching him try to play.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 6, 2021 7:16 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Yeah I sorta feel the same way about Puljos, of course every ball player slows down at the end of his career - he’s no different, only that’s from a ‘fairly good>good’ level, not the monster he was in St.L - outside of his first year he’s only been OK in LA, then a BA in the .240s the last few years - “he’s 41, call it done”😮 - both beasts in their prime tho🦬🦏

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 12:43 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

It’s my fundamental beef w/pro sports

Tatis Jr

yes the contract - 14 years $330M - is outta whack no matter who is getting it

but it’s Why He’s getting it

”He’s played in only 143 games during 2 seasons, 2019-20, yet has quickly become one of the faces of baseball. He stands out b/c of his flair, easy smile, blond dreadlocks flowing from under his helmet & his dance moves in the dugout after hitting HRs”

From AP Padres preview

Turning to baseball briefly

.277, 17 HR, 45 RBI

granted the virus undercut everyone’s efforts

yes he showed great potential in his 84 games as a rookie in 2019

but this kid is getting that contract on his looks & ‘charisma’ - not stats, ABs or the glove - it’s stone cold lunacy imo - Fernando will have to block out/respond to the pressure

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2021 9:29 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

but Padres have also signed newest Oriental superstar too - Pads-ChiSox WS, it can’t miss😮 - altho the most recent one, highy-touted Angels P/OF Ohtani, is now off the field & full time DH 

Update, Ohtani will be Angels’ DH but they’re also going to try pitching him once a week, their team report said

let’s go Sox

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2021 6:02 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

He hasn’t been able to get anyone out since 2015, when he was 13-8

has 100+ IP only twice since then

career 44-52 W-L

yet oft-injured Matt Harvey has made the Orioles rotation 

O’s gave King Felix a chance too (non-roster invitee) - no go, Felix left his 3rd start w/elbow discomfort

guessing more of that w/Matt this summer - at least he got the minimum stipend - he must look at McCullers’ $85M deal & go, wtf...

any-way, another long summer at Camden Yahds - no fans just as well, they wouldn’t go anyway, least-ways not w/out paper bag 

to wear over their heads, also puke into when necessary

let’s go Sox 

Indians & Chief Wahoo forever

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2021 12:24 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

but Padres have also signed newest Oriental superstar too - Pads-ChiSox WS, it can’t miss😮 - altho the most recent one, highy-touted Angels P/OF Ohtani, is now off the field & full time DH 

Update, Ohtani will be Angels’ DH but they’re also going to try pitching him once a week, their team report said

let’s go Sox

Saw this thing on odds to win The Cy Young and he is on the list. Not sure how you can start a guy as a pitcher once a week and still maintain some sense of semblance of a starting rotation.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 25, 2021 6:31 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I happened to be watching the White Sux game yesterday and saw Eloy Jimenez jump over the left field fence and sort of catch his arm. Not a fan of them at all but I just saw that he tore his pectoral muscle and is out 5-6 months. Gotta feel bad for him but come on, it's spring training. Nice that he tried but you just don't take that risk on something so meaningless.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 25, 2021 6:37 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Just saw a quote I like from Willie Mays: "I think I was the best baseball player I ever saw". 😛 

Sounds like something Yogi Berra would have said. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 26, 2021 4:22 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

David Price (7 years, $217M) will be relegated to the bullpen to start the season

Rick Porcello (4 years, $82M) is an unsigned FA

All these guys we broke the bank for (also DiceK), well.....each had 1-2 good years for us, especially obviously Rick’s 22-4 & the Cy in ‘16 - he’s only 32, someone will sign him

season starts thurs, let’s go Sox - Chris Sale’s status uncertain, projected starter ERod injured....

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 30, 2021 7:08 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Hey Steph - 

Did you see David Price didn't even make the Dodgers starting rotation? Wow.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 30, 2021 9:29 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Oh, I guess you did! 😛 Didn't see your post.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 30, 2021 9:33 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Did see that Lee (post above yours) - should add, happy birthday Chris, 32 today - we signed him to a 5 year $145M contract in March 2019, down for the count since - currently behind in his recovery from March 2020 arm surgery - the familiar “no timetable on his return,” team report says

michael kopech - that’s who I was trying to think of - was our top draft pick (33rd overall), then went to ChiSox in Sale trade & basically hasn’t pitched since - now he’s attempting to break into MLB as a reliever

& RHP Mark Appel - top overall pick one year, but became one of 3 to never play in the majors, now he too is trying a comeback (w/Phils) 

yeah none of these guys pitched in 2020, & it’s showing!😮🥱

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 30, 2021 9:58 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I saw a segment this morning on the news and MLB teams are sitting on a slew of bobbleheads that were supposed to be giveaways last season (for 2020) and they don't know what to do with them. 😊 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 1, 2021 9:59 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Justin verlander was/is a great P

He won’t pitch until 2022, when he’s 39 & coming back from arm & hamstring surgeries - his Hou deal (2 yrs, a cool $66M) expires after this season - watta rotation That woulda been w/the newly minted Lance Jr, & Zach Greinke

Mike Clevinger also out until 2022 - Tony Cloninger he isn’t

How will Corey Kluber & Jameson Taillon pan out for NY - Luis Severino & Domingo German due back midseason 

old pros yu darvish & dallas keuchel part of big spahn & sain-esque 1-2 punch w/Blake Snell & Lucas Giolito rspctvly - many Cy winners found here

but yes, opening day (sox opener ppd) - team report (gory details...😮🤧) later

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 12:27 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Did anyone see this tirade by an Indians announcer on a call in show? Pretty darn funny!

https://sports.yahoo.com/cleveland-broadcaster-goes-off-on-fan-after-opening-day-loss-youre-an-idiot-and-you-dont-know-baseball-001536007.html

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 2, 2021 7:33 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Tigers are in first place! Only 160 games to go. 😛 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2021 9:02 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

There's a lot more nostalgia surround Ebbets Field, but a lot more actually happened a Polo Grounds. Of course the Giants played there for decades, but the Yankees, Mets, Jets, and Football Giants all called it home at one point. Here's a cool look back at it. Today stands Polo Towers, public housing projects.

https://untappedcities.com/2021/03/31/new-yorks-baseball-team-lost-ballpark-polo-grounds/

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2021 5:02 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Great read, thx Lee - btw the first couple of chapters of Don Drysdale’s autobiog recount his 1st visit to where Ebbetts Field used to be b4 being torn down - it too is great reading, very nostalgic - Don’s 1st 2 years were in Bklyn

AKIL BADDOO - every Tygiz fan will always remember his name - HR on his 1st pitch

was wrong in an earlier post, NY pitcher German is back

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 4, 2021 6:36 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Tatis Jr - 14 years $330M - 

”He’s played in only 143 games during 2 seasons, 2019-20, yet has quickly become one of the faces of baseball. He stands out b/c of his flair, easy smile, blond dreadlocks flowing from under his helmet & his dance moves in the dugout after hitting HRs”

this kid is getting that contract on his looks & ‘charisma’ - not stats, ABs or the glove - it’s stone cold lunacy imo - Fernando will have to block out/respond to the pressure

SUBLOXATION 

Yep, a mighty swing of the bat, and the $340M man who the media is in love with for his charisma, collapsed to the ground as tho shot in the shoulder

at $340M, he’ll never play more than 100-120 games per season in his career

it will never cease to amaze me the NCIs in modern day baseball

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2021 3:37 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Got home and caught the end of the Tiggers/Twins game. It was in the 10th inning.  I imagine most of us have seen rule changes in sports over the years but putting a runner on second base to start the extra innings makes absolutely no sense to me. Why? Does that make things safer? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 6, 2021 5:39 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Look out 👀 the fun & games are over🥺

he’s baaaack

toeing the rubber this afternoon for the 1st time since his legendary😁2019 season

yep the nightmare known to every NL hitter as S t e p h e n

will he still have that same automaton consistency - 6 IP, 3H, a big handful of Ks, 2BB or so, every time out

bigger ?, will he have the same ironman endurance😜- unbelievable - injury prone his whole career, suddenly

...league leader in IPs???! After 10 injury-plagued seasons, no one could have predicted that

it didn’t stop there - to the contrary - 5-0 in the playoffs? 2019 WS MVP?!?!

23-6....it’ll stand the test of time for WBT fans as much as anything all-time Senator The Big Train ever did, & that’s saying plenty

This post was modified 7 days ago 2 times by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2021 5:55 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

The Tiggers are in last place in The Central.

"Nice" to see things are back to normal. 🙄 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 10, 2021 8:47 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @lee

@stephen

I wouldn't say Pujols is necessarily done after this year. Miggy better be. He's a good guy and all and perhaps it is easy for me to say but if he truly cared about the Tigers I think he should just bow out gracefully and save the team some money to use in other areas. As much as I love the Tiggers, it's painful watching him try to play.

Yeah Miggy to IL w/a ‘biceps strain’ - translation, his 3-for-24 start

Pujols same, 2-for-16 so far

to clarify, Domingo German is indeed back in Florida after 1-2 starts - seems they don’t know what to do w/him

shoot, could Avisail start supplanting JBJ in Brewers OF - Jackie has almost always struggled offensively - Sox fans rooting for JBJ

an L3 then a W5, let’s go Sawx

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2021 12:24 pm
Page 35 / 36
Share: