The Allman Brothers Band
MLB: Tampa Bay Rays...

Notifications
Clear all

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Still in First Place!

1,910 Posts
31 Users
98 Likes
158.7 K Views
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Wonder when the last CG was in post season play- 

.....It’s No Mattah

BROCK HOLT

the only playah to ever hit for the cycle in postseason play as we clobbah the Yanks 16-1 Oct 8 en route to the 2018 WS

said it b4, will again - bring back Brock

Posted : October 8, 2020 8:41 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

RIP Whitey Ford 🙁 

This post was modified 4 years ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : October 9, 2020 2:35 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The Chairman of the Board - greatness -  if a 25-4 record can be overlooked, it was Whitey’s, as Roger Maris chased the Babe’s HR record in 1961 (Mickey had 54 of his own that year)

Yanks need him right about now - 1-0 NY midway thru deciding game w/TB

Yes, Whitey, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Gale Sayres last month - greats one & all

RIP Whitey Ford

Posted : October 9, 2020 8:36 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@stephen Lou Brock too.

Posted : October 10, 2020 7:33 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah good call, was reminded of that reading the article on Whitey (Kaline as well earlier this year) - boy those wrecking crew Cards teams, immense - how Kaline & crew beat em in 68 is a mystery - not really, Al, Lolich, Horton etc

TB won SCup, might WS* too

segueing, bummed by Torey K’s departure - hard to understand, but have understood little about pro sports for years anyway - $ wasn’t the problem, had to have been length of deal

Kevin Millar & other D’s will have to fill the void in the coming season - if there is one - ya Torey, you’re great 

actually, envision a Hou-LA rematch in the WS*

Posted : October 10, 2020 9:20 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Key cog in the Big Red Machine - one of the last of the Houston Colt 45s

RIP, Joe Morgan - one of the best

will never forgive Joe for that flare single late in Gm 7 that won Cincy the 75 WS (haha)

top MLB 2B for a lot of years

Like Whitey a few days ago, his team needs him - Astros trailing 3-0 early

This post was modified 4 years ago by Stephen

Posted : October 12, 2020 4:49 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

Yep, Braves and Dodgers go at it tonight for the best of 7 series national League Championship.  Gooooo  Braves.

Posted : October 12, 2020 4:51 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @stephen

Yeah good call, was reminded of that reading the article on Whitey (Kaline as well earlier this year) - boy those wrecking crew Cards teams, immense - how Kaline & crew beat em in 68 is a mystery - not really, Al, Lolich, Horton etc

TB won SCup, might WS* too

segueing, bummed by Torey K’s departure - hard to understand, but have understood little about pro sports for years anyway - $ wasn’t the problem, had to have been length of deal

Kevin Millar & other D’s will have to fill the void in the coming season - if there is one - ya Torey, you’re great 

actually, envision a Hou-LA rematch in the WS*

I think on paper the Cards were a better team. But boy those '68 Tigers were something. And as great as Bob Gibson was in that series, how about Mickey Lolich winning three games? The idiot Denny McClain, he of 31 wins that season was a non factor. Would have been a great year to live in Detroit at the time.

Posted : October 13, 2020 6:05 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yep, 17-9 that year for Tygiz - shut us down w/15 Ks last wknd of 72 season, w/pennant up for grabs (the infamous “Stumble” game😖) - it was his 22nd win that season

surprised ChiSox/Renteria parted ways, they played well this season - makes no sense, the norm in mlb - who knows, maybe he’ll be putting on red, not white sox next season

Posted : October 13, 2020 9:46 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Feel sorry for Renteria - same as with the Cubs - they pay him to tank and then bring along the young guys - then when they are ready to compete, they cut him loose for the manager that will get them over the hump.....  Bulls did the same thing....

Posted : October 13, 2020 10:40 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Clayton scratched from his start, they’re having to go w/a rookie, & yep, Braves could pick up early where they left off late in Gm 1 en route to a surprise 2-0 series lead

He’s no Yaz but he’s still Maz - his famous HR in 1960 wasn’t the only memorable round tripper on this day

fast forwarding a decade, a half century ago, hold it.......👓coming around I think

Dave McNally, Oct 13 1970 - to this day, the only P to belt a grand slam in the WS😷

Posted : October 13, 2020 1:56 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

I was glad to see Charlie Culbertson get an at-bat last night.

Now the Braves have a six game streak in the postseason.  A lot better than they've done since 1995.

Maybe it will be a nine game streak, who knows.  Would be nice, but I don't expect it.

Posted : October 13, 2020 2:25 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Darn good thing they got that late HR from Albies

Gotta feeling LA is going to come back

Posted : October 13, 2020 10:22 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Oct 14 2020, LAD sets record for most runs in one inning in postseason, w/11😮

Oct 14 1973 - just four days after Spiro Agnew’s resignation, Willie Mays ends his own career in a big way, belting a pinch hit RBI single in the 12th inning of Gm 2 for the last hit of his career, helping NYM win - & to think Truman was in office when the Say Hey Kid collected his 1st hit w/NYG

somewhere around this time the Brothers’ Saturday Night in Macon show promoted by Don Kirshner w/Tucker, Wet Willie, Martin Mull, aired too

Posted : October 14, 2020 7:23 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

I think Snitker has conceded the game.  He's just pulling out anybody who hasn't had an at bat during the post season.

Two days the Braves bat first, and win.  This day the Dodgers bat first, and looks like they will win, but then, the game ain't over till the last pitch is thrown.

Posted : October 14, 2020 8:58 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

Closed out the inning playing Jessica.

Posted : October 14, 2020 9:02 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

Anybody else got the problem of the audio going BEFORE the video?  Heard "and Acuna is going right to catch the ball".  I was thinking, what ball, nobody has swung the bat yet.

Went to MLB 4K, everybody moving in slow motion.  Went to Fox Sports 1 Low and everything is OK.

Posted : October 15, 2020 8:28 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

FS1 Low went crazy.  Players moving in stop action, audio not in sync.  FS1 no sound, but players moving correctly.

Found a good feed on MLB Game 2 Home.

Posted : October 15, 2020 9:21 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

Started getting political ads for Ohio and Kentucky, along with Channel 9 Fox station blurbs.  Turned to Fox East and the game came in a lot clearer with little motion glitches.

Must be something wrong at the stadium to cause all the different feeds to have problems.

Oh yeah, Braves won.

Posted : October 15, 2020 11:58 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Gawd, what if the Astros win tonight? This year has been nuts; why not another week of it? 😲 

Posted : October 17, 2020 6:40 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @lee
Posted by: @stephen

I think on paper the Cards were a better team. But boy those '68 Tigers were something. And as great as Bob Gibson was in that series, how about Mickey Lolich winning three games? The idiot Denny McClain, he of 31 wins that season was a non factor. Would have been a great year to live in Detroit at the time.

🙂McLain still has that niche tho that is just his - last of the 30 game winners - heck 20 game winners have all but gone the way of too😷

52 years ago, & the last b4 him was 34 years previously - like McLain, Dizzy Dean won 30 & the MVP as Cards beat Det in 1934 WS - Denny helped reverse that 34 years later w/his own 31 win season, then Lolich the key guy in the WS

the anticipation of the Gm 1 matchup between 31 game winner McLain vs Bob Gibson, he of the 1.12 ERA - seldom if ever matched!!

LA off too fast start hoping to force 7th game - can LA’s bullpen hold it

This post was modified 4 years ago 4 times by Stephen

Posted : October 17, 2020 5:14 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

Game 7 of NLCS tonight.  i was hoping it would just go to 5, oh well.

My son told me what he heard about the games.  Game 7 is for TV ratings only.  Think how many people will watch game 7 that didn't really watch the whole series, or just waited to see if it went to game 7.

Secondly, it was to see who won the ALCS.  Two teams from the Ga/Fla area don't draw ratings like LA/anybody would in the WS.  

We'll just have to see what happens.

Posted : October 18, 2020 7:42 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

Well, LA won.  Wish them luck in the WS.

Posted : October 19, 2020 12:26 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

1981, same thing as this year - 1st game Oct 20 - late start that year, players strike - this year, CV

won’t go into Nov tho, that’s only happened 3 times b4

wait til next year

Posted : October 20, 2020 3:43 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

FINALLY Clayton Kershaw has a great game in the playoffs (he had one against the Braves too in this year's NLCS).  He has flamed out in the playoffs so many times that I have come to expect it.  Maybe he's getting this monkey off his back and I'm happy for him.  I've lived in the Bay area for 35 years but grew up in L.A. with Koufax/Drysdale/Wills so you know who I'm rooting for..................

Posted : October 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

“the TB Rays are changing baseball forever - here’s how their front office thinks”

I know who I want to win the WS* now - LA

”changing baseball forever”??? - give me a break, it’s already been changed beyond recognition over the last 10-20 years 

Posted : October 21, 2020 7:24 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

They both played for several teams

not as far as Jays fans are concerned tho - they remember where they were & why 27 yrs ago tonite, when Joe Carter joined Bill Mazeroski as the only player to win w/a walkoff HR, setting off a mass celebration in Tor w/their 2nd straight WS

same Dave Winfield - a year to the day earlier - 2 run double top 11, giving Jays a 2 run lead & the WS championship (actually Oct 24)

Neither has had to buy dinner or a drink in Tor since

___

Thought bringing back Cora would be more or less automatic - what do I know

Posted : October 23, 2020 5:51 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

The 2020 MLB season is in the books, for what it's worth. Dodgers-Rays turned out to be a decent series. I get trying to throw fresh arms in an elimination game, but taking Snell out certainly didn't work out well for Tampa. We'll never know if he could have gotten himself out of the inning, but I thought it was premature - trust your guy when he's throwing heat.

Hopefully the 2021 season will look much different.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 28, 2020 2:10 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

What the hell were Justin Turner and the Dodgers thinking last night? I hope whoever did what (definitely him) is punished rather severely. Dave Roberts didn't seem to care. Really? He's the manager for crying out loud.

Posted : October 28, 2020 7:32 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @lee

Same thing played out 100 years ago

Jim Bagby, 31-12 for the Tribe that year - along w/McLain 1 of just 5 or so to ever win 30 games

yet in the 1920 WS, who stepped up to the plate, I mean toed the rubber, more than the great Stan Coveleski - like Lolich won three games as the Indians beat Brklyn 5-2 in the best of nine series - have a T-shirt that says it loud & proud (Chief Wahoo)

1st WS w/a triple play (Tribe 2B Bill Wambsganss - unassisted!)

1st WS w/a grand slam (Tribe’s Elmer Smith)

1st WS w/a pitcher w/a HR (Bagby)

was also the year the Indians’ Ray Chapman died from a beaning

Coveleski was terrific that year (24-14) - he, Bagby & Ray Caldwell (20-10) gave player-manager Tris Speaker & Indians fans their greatest Ps ever - my pa was a big Indians fan

fast forwarding a century, nice going LA - their fans have had 2 titles* to cheer this year

wait til next year

bring back Cora

*shortened seasons

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : October 28, 2020 8:34 pm
Page 30 / 64
Share: