The Allman Brothers Band
MLB: Tampa Bay Rays...

Notifications
Clear all

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Still in First Place!

1,910 Posts
31 Users
98 Likes
158.7 K Views
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Batter w/out equal, blazing speed & a temper to match
Ty Cobb, 68 hits in 137 AB for a .535 BA, the highest ever in a single month (July 1912) - just one of his records that will never be topped - only Yaz & his 23 for 44 in the lat two weeks of ‘67 even comes close

Off the field, had his redeeming qualities but overall, a world-class asshole
Not much different on it, but boy could he play

Sox had their best one-month record since 1952, going 20-6 in July 2011

Posted : July 31, 2020 7:39 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Okay you baseball know it alls, I have a question for you. Made a bet with a buddy. If (and that's a fat if) can the Tiggers win 19 games this season?

$20 bar bet and the bartender wanted in on it so I have $40 on the Tiggers winning 19 games. I mean, they suck but are they THAT bad?

Will they play 19 games?

Great point unfortunately. I actually had this conversation yesterday with one of the guys. Assuming they play the season, some teams won't even play 60 games.

Wonder what the record books are going to look like?

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : August 2, 2020 3:35 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

Braves in first place for NL East.

Posted : August 2, 2020 7:10 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

Braves win 4-0

Posted : August 2, 2020 12:41 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I would pay $8 to have a hot dog in the stands to watch a ballgame right now.

Posted : August 6, 2020 1:27 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

I would pay $8 to have a hot dog in the stands to watch a ballgame right now.

Rooftop bleachers across from Wrigley start at just $399/ticket! (coney not included) 😉

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 6, 2020 2:35 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Braves in first place for NL East.

They're a .5 game behind the Marlins 😉

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 6, 2020 2:36 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

So I looked up the current playoff situation at the moment. In the A.L., Texas would get in with a losing record over two teams with winning records and one team at .500.

In the N.L., Cincy would get in with a losing record over Atlanta with a winning record. Season gets stranger and stranger.

Posted : August 12, 2020 3:09 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Nice to see the Brewers take 3/4 against the Cubs to pull to .500

Yanks lose Lemahieu, and are still cruising without Stanton and Judge.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 17, 2020 9:33 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

First thing I saw this morning. Very sad. I'm old enough to remember him with the Reds, but not the Mets. He is one of those all-time greats that I have always thought hung on too long at the end of his career but hey, I wouldn't have wanted to retire either.

I didn't know he was sick but I think he has always been kind of reclusive.

RIP to one of the best.

Posted : September 3, 2020 8:13 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

R.I.P. Lou Brock. I think Rickey Henderson was the best lead off man ever but Brock has the historical significance. I wish I had been old enough to have seen him live.

Posted : September 6, 2020 7:00 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Don't like to see my Tiggers lose but I guess if they have to lose to anyone, I'll take it to The White Sux. I need them to win the division and hopefully The World Series.

Posted : September 13, 2020 7:58 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Might just be Lee, 1st to clinch in AL w/2nd best record & are we looking at a ChiSox-Dodgiz WS*

Sawx? We don’t know- yes we do, no Cora Mookie Benintendi, also 0 (zero) pitching

Nope they said a few years ago that in a few years ChiSox’d be all the shit - look at em go

*this season takes an asterisk, same WS winner - likewise NHL & NBA

Posted : September 17, 2020 8:54 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Who gets ejected from a game after hitting a home run? Josh Donaldson would be the answer. The guy was THAT mad after a call he didn't like on a prior pitch. Strange. Odd dude. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/josh-donaldson-gets-ejected-after-homering-and-talking-trash-to-ump-203514995.html

Posted : September 18, 2020 6:49 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The playoffs this year are going to be interesting!

Posted : September 18, 2020 6:59 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

That they will, & who knows - WCWS?* - esp in Jon Lester’s final year (possibly)

he gave up 7 walks

but also no hits as ChiSox fans all recall  Sept 19 1986 when Joe Cowley no-hit the Angels 7-1

& Nixey Callahan

fell 1 hit short of a no hitter sept 20 1901

a year to the day later, made up for it as the ChiSox RHP threw 1st no-hitter in AL history vs Tigers

Nixey - from Fitchburg Mass - P/LF - as a P, 99-73, 3.39 ERA - at bat, .273, 11 HR, 394 RBI - also managed ChiSox later

.....so yeah, ChiSox are playing like it’s 2005 - w/Nixey Callahan pitching hitting fielding managing & leading the way🧐

*Windy City World Series

Posted : September 19, 2020 10:03 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

White Sux have to go to Cleveland for four games starting today. Indians can kind of play spoiler if they knock them out of winning the division. Then they finish with the Flubs. 

I've talked to a couple of the local guys and I thought it would be interesting if the Sux & the Flubs made it to The World Series and they had to play it in Texas? 😮 

Posted : September 21, 2020 7:02 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Speaking of the Dodgers, they weren't the first team planning to move to LA.

After decades of mediocrity, the once popular St Louis Browns received league approval to move to LA in 1942. The attack on Pearl Harbor sidelined any move west, and they remained in St Louis. Because the Cardinals leased the Browns stadium (the 1944 WS remains the last to be played in a single stadium), the Cardinals attempted to move to Houston before Anheuser Busch stepped in and kept the Cardinals in St Louis. The Browns attempted to move back to Milwaukee, where they played their first season as the Brewers, but were blocked by the AL before the NL Boston Braves (who were also trying to get out of a 2-team city) moved there instead. At a time when teams were moving west, the Browns moved east a year later to Baltimore and rebranded. They made little mention of their Browns past until 2003 when they returned to St Louis in inter-league play sporting Browns throwbacks.

19490310702 b01cde761e o

Browns are kind of the forgotten MLB team, along with the original Washington Senators, since they both rebranded when they moved (unlike the Dodgers, Giants, A's, Braves)

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 25, 2020 11:51 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Happy birthday Bobby Shantz - 95 today - the last link, & probly has been for several years now, to Connie Mack - Bobby’s 1st 2 years were the last 2 of Mack’s 50 year run as owner/mgr of the A’s, & who wouldn’t wanna hear 1st Hand what it was like to play for this iconic octogenarian in suit & tie

Bobby, unbelievable - what an athlete, this diminutive LHP - 24-7, AL MVP in 1952 w/A’s - five years later, 11-5 w/an AL-best 2.45 ERA teaming w/Whitey Ford (also 11-5), Bob Turley (13-6), Don Larsen (10-4), & NYY legend Tom Sturdivant (16-6) 

W/8 Gold Gloves, one of the best ever at fielding his position - good hitting pitcher, career 107-548 (.195), drew 47 BB, had 20 doubles & yep, this pint-sized pitcher, all 5-6 of him, had 1 HR - almost the equivalent of Eddie Gaedel hitting a single

But amazing to thing there’s someone around who had direct contact w/a baseball legend whose own career in baseball, no exaggeration, went back to 1886

Posted : September 26, 2020 10:53 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Last day of the season! I still can't figure out how they are going to seed the teams.

Posted : September 27, 2020 9:12 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Who goes to the "World Series"? I don't know why but I like Cleveland's pitching and the Dodgers are probably the best team. On paper anyway. So I will take L.A. over the Indians. Would like to pick the White Sux but they have sucked over the past week.

Posted : September 28, 2020 4:07 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Kind of looking forward to the playoffs but not sure what to expect.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Lee

Posted : September 29, 2020 6:04 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@lee I was pretty surprised the Brewers made it, but once I heard the Marlins were in it was just a matter of time. Of course, there being 72 playoff spots this season made up for Milwaukee's offense disappearing.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 29, 2020 9:19 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well the first "round" of playoffs was kind of a dud. Although I was able to watch the Padres/Cards and that was kind of enjoyable. The Pads are a fun bunch to watch!

Posted : October 3, 2020 6:41 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Speaking of the Cardinals, God bless Bob Gibson. Definitely one of the greatest pitchers of all time. 😥 

Posted : October 3, 2020 6:43 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Surprised to see the Marlins sweep the Cubs. Mostly because I forgot it was a Best-of-3.

Tampa won the Stanley Cup, Rays won the AL East, Heat are in the NBA Finals, Marlins are winning playoff games... All that sudden success has taken Florida by surprise.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 3, 2020 10:12 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The Go Go Sox - Bob Shaw outpitched a kid named Koufax 1-0 Oct 6 1959 WS

it was the 1st WS that had no complete games - Shaw & Sandy each went 7 IP in this one

also, at 92,000+, the highest attendance ever in MLB - the 2 other games in LA also drew more than 92G - Dodgiz won series 4-2

Posted : October 6, 2020 4:39 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Or the Bambino - c’mahn who else was like em

it wasn’t just that he became the 1st to hit 3 HR in a WS game Oct 6 1926

He Repeated The Feat 2 Years To The Day Later w/3 More HR

Both Times In Gm 4, & Against The Cardinals, At Sportsmen’s Park 

There were the WS pitching records he held for awhile

& finally, Sultan of Swat, the speedster - yep stole 2 bases 5th inning Gm 2 vs Giants Oct 6 1921

Posted : October 6, 2020 5:03 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

Surprised to see the Marlins sweep the Cubs. Mostly because I forgot it was a Best-of-3.

Tampa won the Stanley Cup, Rays won the AL East, Heat are in the NBA Finals, Marlins are winning playoff games... All that sudden success has taken Florida by surprise.

Until today.  Marlins 5, Braves 9.  I will say that this is the first time I've seen Max loose his composure on the mound.

Posted : October 6, 2020 9:13 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeah NYY fans lay claim to this date as the granddaddy of all pitching performances - Don Larsen’s perfecto

Bobby Jones 

that’s NYM fans’ reply - 20 years ago today, his one hitter secured the WS NL berth against their crosstown rivals for the 2000 subway series - retired the side in order in 8 of the 9 innings, getting Barry Bonds to line out for the final out

not since the Beatles 35 years earlier had Shea quaked w/the cheering. old timers said

Posted : October 8, 2020 8:35 am
Page 29 / 64
Share: