R.I.P. Bill Russell

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/bill-russell-nba-celtics-greatest-basketball-player-of-all-time-dies-at-88-172445014.html

Perhaps the greatest of them all.  And with 11 Championships in 13 seasons it would be hard to argue.

Posted : July 31, 2022 1:59 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

What a great life - never compromised his principles - was feted one night in his hometown of Reading MA, then went home to find his house ransacked and vandalized - Bill never forgot that - it's why when his number was first retired, it was in private, with no fans allowed - he couldn't be a hypocrite no matter what

RIP, Bill Russell - greatest team player and defensive player of them all - sad day indeed

Posted : July 31, 2022 2:14 pm
robslob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

It belongs here

Cooz

Happy birthday Bob Cousy, 94 today

He was the Celtics TV commentator for a long time - he made a good comment after one game, that featured a big comeback - it was the proverbial game of two halves, and Bob made the offhand comment that (paraphrasing) "this game was like my career - I had a career of two halves, so-so the first half, world beaters second half, and what was the difference?

"R-U-S-S-E-L-L"

Cooz and Tom Sanders, 83, are the only two left from that era - Cousy, Satch and Russell had incomparable 13-year careers on the parquet

Bob had a great intro at one of the reunion events one time - "all the kids on the playground having a blast doing behind the back passes, no look passes, fancy dribbling, speediest player on the court - they don't know that they're imitating the Houdini of the Hardwood, Bob Cousy!"

Today, sports fans echo the leather-lunged fan at Cousy's April 1963 retirement - "we love ya Cooz"

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : August 9, 2022 10:55 am
Share: