The Allman Brothers Band
Everyone Talks Abou...

Notifications
Clear all

Everyone Talks About Britney Griner. Don't Forget This Guy!!

7 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-teacher-sits-russian-jail-170048506.html

14 year sentence!!  For 1/2 oz. of weed.

Posted : July 29, 2022 10:15 am
cyclone88 reacted
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

Yes, odd that there's talk of a prisoner swap for Griner & Whelan but no mention of Fogel.

Posted : July 29, 2022 12:03 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

9 years according to CNN.  From my own personal standpoint - I don't think anybody anywhere should be sentenced for any amount of time over any amount of cannabis.  It's a freakin' plant put here by nature - has more practical uses than probably any other plant on the planet.  I honestly feel that cannabis should be available without penalty for everybody everywhere.

However - when you visit someone at their house ... their country - you really should behave according to their rules and laws.  I have a difficult time accepting that Britney was totally ignorant and unaware that these vape pens were in her luggage.  We've all (well, me at least) told an officer that "I've only had a couple ..." while knowing full well that I'd consumed most of an entire case (25 years ago since I sipped my last).  Anybody would feign ignorance to escape punishment.  Call it self-preservation if you want.  

As much as I pretty much HATE Donald Trump (mama said to never hate anybody) - I agree with him in PRINCIPLE that Britney tried to enter Russia while holding.  Swapping a known murderous enemy combatant for a an (attempted) smuggler doesn't seem like the kind of deal you could not refuse.  If you disagree with this pat of my statement, please reread my first paragraph.  

Lastly, I have no doubt that this is all about politics.  Britney is the current William Hayes ("Midnight Express") thanks to the invasion of Ukraine by Russia and by our intolerance of that action.  I don't know exactly how many (any?) Russian products are available for purchase in the U.S., but I won't be buying any of 'em.  

I wish for peace for Britney.  I wish for a change of heart by the Russians.  Surely it'll cost more to house, clothe and feed her than a box of vape cartridges are worth.

Sometimes it occurs to me that this would be a better planet without our leaders.  All of 'em.

Peace.

"R"

Posted : August 4, 2022 12:09 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

I have no doubt that this is all about politics.  Britney is the current William Hayes ("Midnight Express") thanks to the invasion of Ukraine by Russia and by our intolerance of that action. 

No doubt about it - they're looking for a 9 1/2 year jail sentence, from what I've read

Posted : August 4, 2022 3:19 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

She gets nine years after being arrested for a negligible amount of cannabis oil at a Russian airport -

another basketball player, Iman Shumpert, was recently busted with 6 oz. of reefer at a USA airport-

there should be a mad outcry when he is sentenced - it won't be 9 years obviously - guessing a fine & probation - it should be a real flashpoint, showing how criminal it is what's happening to Brittney Griner

This post was modified 2 years ago by Stephen

Posted : August 5, 2022 3:29 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

@stephen Trying to board a plane with 6 ozzies - even in the good ol US of A is a pretty stoopid idea.  If you get popped here, you'll definitely miss your flight.  Gonna need a lawyer as well.  Trying to take anything into or out of a foreign country?  How dumb do you wanna be?

I once visited Morocco.  Very interesting, yet backwards place.  As soon as you arrive you are beseeched by people who INSIST on being your guide.  They'll even jump into the cab with you (yeah, this happened).  My "guide" immediately started asking if I wanted hashish.  I told him not to take me anywhere near the stuff!  Last thing I want is to get arrested in a backwards Islamic country for hashish.  You gotta use your brain!  

Posted : August 8, 2022 10:13 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

That you do Rusty - I don't think Shumpert is really sweating this, he's a multi millionaire with top lawyer - that may have been his stash for the next few months tho :yikes: - 

6 oz of weed & he'll get a slap on the wrist

a small amount of cannabis oil or whatever it was - she got nine years

How people cannot acknowledge the horrible injustice of this & DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.....

yep it's Midnight Express all over again - not to mention Graham Nash's song

"Kids in Texas

smoking grass

10 year sentence

comes to pass

misdemeanor

in Ann Arbor

ask the judges why"

Posted : August 9, 2022 11:18 am
Rusty reacted
Share: