Anybody Having Difficulty Logging In?

23 Posts
7 Users
7 Likes
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Whipping Post seems as good a place as any to ask this: Is anybody having difficulty logging onto this site>

Starting yesterday, I was asked (told) to enter my PASSWORD twice - to prove that I'm not a "bot".  Today - same process, but after entering password TWICE - I'm told that captcha (?) is "probably a "bot"".  It took me several instances of shutting down the browser and trying again - about the 5th time I was able to log on.  Have I been hacked/infected ... banned?  

Hoping that this is a temporary case of cyber flatulence or something.

Posted : August 20, 2021 3:16 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

I have been seeing this the last few days.  It's a little irritating, in that I check the site on 3 different machines - my PC in my office, my chromebook near my comfy chair, and my phone.  I am constantly being asked to sign in (same with email sites, too - they all think you use 1 device -  if you sign in on one, it logs you out of the other at times).  I was able to just re-enter my password once and got back in.  Maybe @rowland can let us know what is going on .... 

Posted : August 20, 2021 3:31 pm
Rusty reacted
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin

No one has been banned Smile

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't seen it myself.

I've been getting three or four spam registrations every day.  It takes me a minute or two to delete the spam users so I enabled the Google ReCaptcha on the login and registration forms.  The good news is, no spam registrations since enabling it.  But I didn't intend to create friendly fire Smile !

I really want to protect registration, not login, but the user system is "all or nothing." 

Google ReCaptcha does allow setting of a "paranoia level" or something like that, which basically tightens or loosens the noose.  Let me play with that and see if we can find a happy compromise that keeps the spammers out but lets you guys in without a hassle Smile

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : August 20, 2021 3:36 pm
Rusty reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

It happens to me yesterday and today.  Asks me to verify I am not a bot.  Didn't know how or what that meant so I checked the keep me logged in box and seemed to work.

Posted : August 20, 2021 3:42 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@rowland Thanks, Rowland!

Posted : August 20, 2021 3:44 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin

I checked it out.  Google ReCaptcha lets you set a number between 0 and 1.  0 = let everything through, 1 = let nothing through.

It was set to 0.9 so a pretty heavy filter.  I set it to 0.5, let me know how it goes.

Thanks!

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : August 20, 2021 3:59 pm
Sang and Rusty reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

all good here!

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : August 20, 2021 5:51 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I only use my my lap top and I used to be able to just click on the site and log in. I assumed my info was just saved. It knew who I was. Now I have to put in a username and password and sometimes it asks me if I am a robot. Would you tell someone if you were a robot? 😏 

Not a big deal, site works fine. 😀 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : August 21, 2021 6:54 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @lee

Would you tell someone if you were a robot? 😏 

E065DCC8 900A 499F AC19 801BC791F7C3

Posted : August 21, 2021 9:42 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I only use my my lap top and I used to be able to just click on the site and log in. I assumed my info was just saved. It knew who I was. Would you tell someone if you were a robot?

Posted : August 21, 2021 10:01 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

@rowland - been seeing this again, maybe I am just lucky ... been asked if I was a robot the last 3-4 times I have had to log back in ... and have to re-enter my password.   Not a real big deal, just thought I would let you know.

Posted : October 4, 2021 3:40 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin

Hi @sang  - 

Yup, I saw it today too.  I turned the "spam detection" threshold lower but still seeing the message.  Might be a bug in the login software since it clears when you login again.  I'll keep at it.  When I turned it off completely I was getting robo-spam registration attempts every three or four hours.  Now I only get a couple a day from some poor b**d sitting in front of a terminal trying to create accounts they can use to post spam :-\ .  

Cheers,

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : October 4, 2021 4:10 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Thanks @rowland! Keep the spammers out - especially DanB ... Laugh  

Posted : October 4, 2021 5:11 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

It has been asking me daily if I am a robot for probably the past four weeks I guess. It actually says it twice on one screen. It has my username and password saved (which I never told it to do) and I just click that I am not a robot and it logs me right in so no big deal.

Posted : October 5, 2021 9:54 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

No-no no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no -nobody can do the ROBOT like I do ... 

Posted : October 5, 2021 11:24 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Have had to re-enter password for weeks now. No biggie.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : October 5, 2021 11:30 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin

I switched it over to the older (version 2) Google Recaptcha, the one with the checkbox.  It asked me to do one of those annoying "which images have stop lights?" type of puzzles but there was no other weirdness.  Let me know how it goes, easy to switch back.  Not sure why it suddenly started getting finicky.  

I'll get right to it...

Posted : October 5, 2021 3:06 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin

Ugh, within 24 hours of switching to the old style Google Recaptcha, the spambot registrations began pouring in again.

I changed back to the V3 Recaptcha which does catch the spambots, but it still has that annoying "confirm you are not a robot" 

deal-io with no visible way of doing it.  I'm wondering if it is trying to pop-up one of those "which images are stoplights?" type of

forms but popups are blocked?  I've submitted a trouble ticket to the vendor of the login page support software.  Stay tuned and sorry

for the inconvenience.  Seems like repeating the login process a second time works.... 

I'll get right to it...

Posted : October 6, 2021 3:15 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@rowland Earlier today I was getting those "where's Waldo" things - pick 3 pictures with ... whatever.  I can never get those damned things right!  😉 

Posted : October 6, 2021 3:54 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @rusty

@rowland Earlier today I was getting those "where's Waldo" things - pick 3 pictures with ... whatever.  I can never get those damned things right!  😉 

Click on the three pictures of mountains, bikes, fire hydrants, whatever. Yeah those are annoying.

When I just logged in I had to go through two screens if that means anything but obviously it worked.  It took me from the screen where I could just log in to the next one did had the two "are you a robot?" things in red on it. But it obviously let me in. 🙂 

Posted : October 6, 2021 4:44 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin

Posted by: @rusty

Click on the three pictures of mountains, bikes, fire hydrants, whatever. Yeah those are annoying.

When I just logged in I had to go through two screens if that means anything but obviously it worked.  It took me from the screen where I could just log in to the next one did had the two "are you a robot?" things in red on it. But it obviously let me in. 🙂 

Yup, that's what I'm seeing.  Second time's the charm.  I didn't get the Where's Waldo thing - I bet it was in a blocked popup, I'll have to try unblocking for the site - we don't use popups anywhere else.  Google controls the login security when you use their ReCaptcha plugin.

I'll get right to it...

Posted : October 6, 2021 4:46 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin

I made a change recommended by the login page developers and it seems to be working better now. 

Let me know if you still see the "confirm you're not a robot" stuff.

thanks!

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : October 7, 2021 11:25 am
Sang and Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@rowland Man, thanks for keeping the wheels rollin!  You provide a safe social scene in the middle of a pandemic! 😉 

Posted : October 7, 2021 4:42 pm
Share: