Clear all

Afghanistan

39 Posts
13 Users
17 Likes
bob1954
(@bob1954)
Noble Member

We should have pulled out in 2011 after bin Laden was killed. 

Posted : August 21, 2021 6:17 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

It needed to happen in 2001 and it needed to end at some point. I won't pretend to be smart enough to figure out how it should've worked out.

Posted : August 21, 2021 10:37 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Buckeye
(@buckeye)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @porkchopbob

The midterm elections are usually a referendum on what is happening in Congress and within our borders, not typically foreign policy. I don't see people holding our exit from Afghanistan (something many conservatives wanted) over the heads of Tammy Duckworth and Patrick Leahy, et al.

Still think so?

Posted : August 26, 2021 2:17 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@buckeye

I don't believe a suicide bomber will affect Tammy Duckworth's Senate race. If you believe it will, feel free to state your case.

That isn't to say some seats won't get flipped - a President's first midterm election almost always is a pendulum swing in the opposite direction. But the cause won't likely be Afghanistan, as it hasn't affected House and Senate races over the past 20 years of occupation and US casualties.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 26, 2021 2:27 pm
Icepick
(@icepick)

Posted by: @porkchopbob

@buckeye

I don't believe a suicide bomber will affect Tammy Duckworth's Senate race. If you believe it will, feel free to state your case.

That isn't to say some seats won't get flipped - a President's first midterm election almost always is a pendulum swing in the opposite direction. But the cause won't likely be Afghanistan, as it hasn't affected House and Senate races over the past 20 years of occupation and US casualties.

I agree wholeheartedly that the debacle in Kabul is not the defining aspect in the midterm swing. Bidenflation and the impact this administration & Congress is having on the economy will be top five. Porous borders allowing terrorists and drug cartels to endanger the American people will be top tier as well. Add to that these people who claim to lead this nation declare that white supremacist groups are more a threat to our peace than those like al-queida who truly hate us. Let’s not forget that the current President & Vice-President vowed they would have nothing to do w/ the Trump vaccine were he to be re-elected sending a significant message to the groups of citizens they so adore for votes. Howze that working for us as cases spike? Don’t forget the constant drum beat to indoctrinate the children of this nation that the color of their skin does truly define who they represent and it would seem this evacuation from another US military loss will become insignificant come Nov 2022.

Posted : August 26, 2021 7:13 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@icepick 

Porous borders allowing terrorists and drug cartels to endanger the American people will be top tier as well.

Border crossing have spiked, but the majority are migrants and not terrorists and cartel members. The vast majority have been returned or are in the process of being returned.

Add to that these people who claim to lead this nation declare that white supremacist groups are more a threat to our peace than those like al-queida who truly hate us.

Domestically they are. They stormed our capitol and assaulted our men and women in uniform causing several casualties.

Let’s not forget that the current President & Vice-President vowed they would have nothing to do w/ the Trump vaccine were he to be re-elected sending a significant message to the groups of citizens they so adore for votes. Howze that working for us as cases spike? 

This is not accurate. Both said they would trust scientists developing the vaccines, they would not simply trust Trump. Cases are spiking because people have refused to get vaccinated despite the administration (and Trump) encouraging vaccinations.

Don’t forget the constant drum beat to indoctrinate the children of this nation that the color of their skin does truly define who they represent and it would seem this evacuation from another US military loss will become insignificant come Nov 2022.

The US went into Afghanistan to topple Al Queda and find Bin Laden, not to nation-build. So technically the objective (however questionable) was met. The fall of the government is tragic, but Trump negotiated our withdrawal with the Taliban. We were always going to leave. Obviously it could have been much smoother, but I haven't heard anyone outline how the Taliban could have been stopped short of escalating and prolonging the war. As to your "indoctrination", I have no idea what you are referring to.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 26, 2021 7:42 pm
Icepick
(@icepick)

I surely thought I’d at least get a kuddo for stating that the Kabul debacle would not define the 2022 election. Boy, was I wrong. Also no comments on Bidenflation & it’s impact on the impacted “working” middle class or those in poverty. Guess I got a little ahead of myself. 

Posted : August 26, 2021 8:00 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @icepick

I surely thought I’d at least get a kuddo for stating that the Kabul debacle would not define the 2022 election. 

Ha well yes, I’m glad we found some common ground 😉

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : August 26, 2021 8:06 pm
Icepick
(@icepick)

@porkchopbob Inch by inch.

Posted : August 26, 2021 8:12 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: