The Allman Brothers Band
Thought I Had Seen ...

Notifications
Clear all

Thought I Had Seen All the Gregg Allman Video....

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
KCJimmy
(@kcjimmy)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Gregg was on Letterman quite a bit. He even filled in for Paul Schaffer one night and I thought I had seen it all until this...

Gregg looks & sounds as good as I have EVER seen him in this video. Says he's been sober for a year here and it looks to be true. This was a real treat for me!

This topic was modified 2 years ago by KCJimmy

Posted : December 7, 2021 7:10 pm
allmansrvvegas
(@allmansrvvegas)
Honorable Member

I believe this also the same time they did SNL before breaking up.

https://dai.ly/x7lup5

Posted : December 7, 2021 11:08 pm
linus
(@linus)
Trusted Member

I love the video.  It's ranks right up there with seeing KC Jimmy post again.  Always good to see one of the first folks who traded shows with me on here

Posted : December 8, 2021 10:53 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Great acoustic and solo versions of Melissa and Come And Go Blues. Gregg occasionally seemed disappointed that several of the songs he brought to the Allman Brothers were changed so much as the band worked up it's arrangement of the song. 

Melissa didn't change that much from how Gregg wrote it. And I saw one interview in early 2004 where Gregg said something positive about Dickey when he and especially Butch Trucks were so negative and cutting about Dickey. 

Gregg said Dickey's electric guitar on Melissa was one of the prettiest and some of the  most melodic guitar playing he had ever heard. Then he talked about being in the grocery store and discovering the right name for the song when a woman was chasing her young daughter running down the aisle yelling " MELISSA! MELISSA! STOP!!"

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : December 8, 2021 10:53 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Gregg is only 35 years old in the Letterman video.  If only he had embraced sobriety then.........he'd probably still be with us.  I can relate.........I quit drinking from 1999-2003.  Then I said, "OK, I've nipped this in the bud.  I'm in control now.  I can have a couple of beers."  That was fine for awhile......then as you would expect, the poison reared it's ugly head and took control of me all over again.  Now I've been sober for 10 years and it's for good this time.

Posted : December 8, 2021 4:47 pm
Share: