Reputable Member
Topic starter

2nd Nov...The Helix, Dublin.

4th Nov...Palladium, London.

5th Nov...Palladium, London.

6th Nov...Palladium, London.

9th Nov...Academy, Manchester.

10th Nov...Academy, Glasgow.

London on the 5th, and Manchester on the 9th for me.

Posted : December 6, 2021 12:30 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I have a good Irish friend. I'll tell 'um about the date in Dublin. 

Posted : December 6, 2021 1:04 pm
Shavian
(@shavian)
Reputable Member

Not for me.

I'm surprised they seem capable of selling three nights at the 2,300 seat Palladium. Better than one night in an arena though.

Posted : December 8, 2021 3:41 pm
Jack_Frost reacted
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

Posted by: @shavian

Not for me.

I'm surprised they seem capable of selling three nights at the 2,300 seat Palladium. Better than one night in an arena though.

Agreed ... I would want a guaranteed blues rich ttb gig as I only really enjoyed about half of the last Palladium gig I went to ... I really miss the dTb .....

Posted : December 8, 2021 7:18 pm
Jack_Frost and Shavian reacted
Shavian
(@shavian)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @harvey

... I really miss the dTb .....
 The "hiatus" is looking like it might be permanent, since three members have passed away so far!

I have to say Derek has turned out to be a big disappointment for me. It looked like he was going to experiment in different styles - Eastern, Jazz etc - but he has settled into being a component part of a big band playing rather unadventurous music.

Still, he's clearly happy.

Posted : December 8, 2021 7:45 pm
Jack_Frost and harvey reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

I have to say Derek has turned out to be a big disappointment for me. It looked like he was going to experiment in different styles - Eastern, Jazz etc - but he has settled into being a component part of a big band playing rather unadventurous music.

To each their own, but I disagree. He did a lot of experimenting with dTb for 15 years - that's a pretty good run. Not to mention bringing some more experimental material to the ABB while the rest of the guys were on cruise control. He's always wanted to be part of the machine in the name of the song, I never expected him to try to become Slide Guitar Coltrane. TTB is the best live band touring right now, and he has definitely been the focal point. TTB's live shows feature jazz, eastern, sprinkled in along side a lot of other great music. Not everyone is going to love every direction an artist goes in, we can't expect artists to create exactly what we want to see and hear.

But I can't imagine he will want to keep taking 3 tour buses out on the road forever. I wouldn't be surprised if once the kids are all out of the house that he eventually tries on some smaller projects.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 8, 2021 8:28 pm
Randall and Shavian reacted
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

The "hiatus" is looking like it might be permanent, since three members have passed away so far!

Yeah ... it's a bit like Einstein giving up science after discovering the theory of relativity and deciding to drive a bus for a living

Posted : December 8, 2021 8:28 pm
Jack_Frost and Shavian reacted
Shavian
(@shavian)
Reputable Member

Or being Mrs Einstein's lab technician!

Posted : December 8, 2021 9:19 pm
Jack_Frost and harvey reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I think Albert did drive a New York transit bus on Madison Ave in the 1940's.  

I always see Derek when I can because he is a great guy and a great musician. I just groove with whatever he and whoever he's with plays.  

Posted : December 9, 2021 6:47 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Wow dang, y'all are pretty harsh on TTB. Makes me wonder if you've ever actually seen one of their shows, because they aren't far from dTb - just with a few more moving parts that can disassemble and reassemble depending on the song. I just saw them last month and it was another fantastic show, Derek was the centerpiece from start to finish. But hey, different strokes but I think maybe your disappointed by your own expectations - like you were expecting Einstein to suddenly become an astrobotanist.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 9, 2021 9:44 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob "TTB is the best live band touring right now". 

Do you mean this very month? Genesis is out there and the Rolling Stones toured with a new drummer and there are others:) 

No I know what you mean. I got hooked on the Allman Brothers in early 1970 and through 1976 they were the best live band touring to me!! But I knew Chicago, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, the Eagles etc were out there too and a heck of a lot of people dug them more than my favorite band. 

I know you don't like Eric Clapton but I think you would agree Derek Trucks pumped a lot of mojo into those shows back there then don't you see. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : December 9, 2021 10:50 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@porkchopbob "TTB is the best live band touring right now". 

Do you mean this very month? Genesis is out there and the Rolling Stones toured with a new drummer and there are others:) 

I mean over the past 10 years or so. Of course, there are tons of great musicians and bands touring right now, everyone has their faves. But TTB can do it all, one of the most dynamic bands thanks to the different lineups they can switch in and out of. And they still stretch it out and jam when they want to.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 9, 2021 11:32 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob  Hey now!! That is a great Whipping Post!!! Indeed they are very good. Excellent improvising. I caught the Allman Brothers in Las Vegas in 1999. First time seeing them with Derek and he took to the ABB like a duck takes to water. Dickey had a great night too so I was very pleased with this new life up in the wake of being so disappointed earlier in 1999 when Jack Pearson quit. 

But Susan opened for the ABB and that was my first time to see her and know about her. I instantly took to her voice and energy. 

Wish this had a video but to me it's a fine Whipping Post live at the Winter land in San Francisco. No Duane but it's sophisticated with Chuck on it. I is on the live CD that came with the Brothers and Sisters anniversary release. The Chuck/Lamar lineup was pretty special on a good night!

Note: What Dickey plays here is so incredibly melodic and actually beautiful!! Dickey can really amaze at times. I really doubt any other guitarist that has been in the Allman Brothers could play this solo like Dickey! So melodic and actually beautifully played. 

Posted : December 9, 2021 1:12 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob 

I have seen TTB and they put on a great show but I feel the same way about Gov't Mule that they are the best live band touring band in the last 10 years I have seen or heard.

With all the cover songs they have done at their concerts they cover a wide range of music including jazz with Scofield, Reggae, covering Pink Floyd DSoTM, Beatles, The Band, Neil Young AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, etc. so they are incredibly versatile as well.

And I am saying that as a huge Rolling Stones fan who put on amazing concerts.

But as you said we all have our favorites.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : December 9, 2021 3:52 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

I have always loved TTB - they seem to have more energy since the Fireside tours. I get it if some people listened to Revelator and weren't excited. The band has grown since

Listen to this year's Beacon run or the Orpheum run on the archive. If you are looking for fusion, check out Afro Blue> Shame from 11/30 or Greensleeves> Shame 12/03.

I loved DTB too, but not every song was fusion / wide open improv. Much of the shows were straight ahead blues or R?B

Posted : December 9, 2021 5:16 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham I am a Mule Fan.too. Always enjoy their shows. I think my first Mule show was 1994. It was a trio. 

And yes those Pink Floyd shows were excellent. The show I saw featured Warren playing a green Strat and Warren has a good ear and knows gear real well and to my ears, Warren NAILED David Gilmore's tone. 

Posted : December 9, 2021 5:44 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Review of the final Boston Orpheum show with videos

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/tedeschi-trucks-band-orpheum-theatre-12-4-21/  

Posted : December 9, 2021 10:14 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Anyone missing dTb music, the TTB are still doing it - "Joyful Noise" is even more epic with the full band (this one is available on their 2019 Beacon Bits, along with an out-of-this-world "Dreams")

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 10, 2021 9:50 am
Randall reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob  That was HOT! Great playing and singing. 

I don't recognize the guitarist in the middle playing the black ax. He is good too. Good energy and staying in the pocket with the band. Who is that? Probably someone I know. 

Posted : December 10, 2021 10:34 am
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@robertdee the guest guitarist is Luther Dickinson (N MS All-Stars, Black Crows)

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : December 10, 2021 12:10 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Oh yes I figured it was someone I'd heard of. Thanks!! TTB is a rocking and professional sounding unit. I'm sure Derek and Susan are very proud and happy with what they have. 

Posted : December 10, 2021 12:34 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
ssepr
(@ssepr)
Trusted Member

If Duane and Dickey had a baby it would be Derek Trucks. Can here both of them in his playing.

Posted : December 10, 2021 1:43 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Gregg said that he started believing in reincarnation after he heard Derek play

Posted : December 10, 2021 6:10 pm
Jack_Frost
(@jack_frost)
Reputable Member

Yeah ... it's a bit like Einstein giving up science after discovering the theory of relativity and deciding to drive a bus for a living

I honestly tried to like ttb and just plain didn't and I am sorry if that offends anyone. Very much in the "not my cup of tea" catagory. And yes, I have seen them live. Maybe I caught them on a bad night or something but the mix was mud and there was no separation. Just what I experienced. But they have their fans and certain aren't missing my ticket money in any way.

Posted : January 7, 2022 3:05 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@jack_frost

Totally fair and no offense taken. Everyone has different tastes and that's what makes it fun.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 7, 2022 3:20 pm
Jack_Frost reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

@jack_frost 

I doubt you are offending anyone for your opinion. It's just that, your opinion. This argument/debate/discussion (call it what you want) has been going on ever since they formed a band. I don't like TTB anywhere near as much as how I liked their own bands. I still go see them when they come through town which they had been doing with a little residency at The Chicago Theatre. I figure if they can play here for a weekend, leave town and then come back the next week and do the same thing I guess they are selling tickets.

The tickets are reasonably prices given how many people have to get paid. 

I have said this before but I feel like Susan belts out her voice so loud that it kind of drowns out Derek's playing. They are still a good band but there is no way I would travel to see them like I did with the ABB and even a small dTB / Susan run several years ago. 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : January 7, 2022 6:06 pm
harvey reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I like TTB. Seen them five times. It's a big band and it's not the Allman Brothers and a lot of Derek's slide is not how Duane Allman played but he can't be just a clone of Duane. An impersonator. Derek has to be his own man and he is still evolving.

When I saw him in the 90's in a small club he sounded like Duane and did a lot of ABB songs. I thought he was another Duane in 1999 when he did his first tour with the ABB. 

I like TTB better than a lot of bands but they are not in my top 5. And maybe they are because my number one isn't together now. 

Yeah I know I'm old now and no... one of my top five is not the Tommy Dorsey Big Band!!!

Posted : January 7, 2022 6:32 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @robertdee

I like TTB. Seen them five times. It's a big band and it's not the Allman Brothers and a lot of Derek's slide is not how Duane Allman played but he can't be just a clone of Duane. An impersonator. Derek has to be his own man and he is still evolving.

Really? 🙄 

Posted : January 8, 2022 8:47 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@lee Well I mean he can't be expected to only do Duane Allman licks and ABB songs. Like the many Jimi Hendrix clones that played in the 1970's. I saw two. Dressed like Hendrix, played all Hendrix songs. One of the two even played left handed with a right handed guitar turned upside down. 

Posted : January 8, 2022 9:06 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

@robertdee 

You are calling the guy an impersonator? He's still evolving?

Posted : January 8, 2022 9:12 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: