Thought during the TTB video premier tonight

10 Posts
6 Users
3 Likes
linus
(@linus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

We all know Duane was planning to add horn players to the ABB.  I’ve often wondered where he would take it.  Tonight I could conceptualize it for the first time

This topic was modified 2 years ago by linus

Posted : June 28, 2022 11:19 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Yeah.....kinda glad that did not happen. It's just my opinion and taste. Not really a big"horn" guy in my rock based music. I dont mind it here and there, but not all the time. That might be my turnoff  to a degree with the TTB band. For some reason that bands studio work does very little for me. I really want to be into them, love Derek's playing, Susan has a great voice, but no connection. I am sure in the live setting they are fantastic. They were here in town last night, would like to have went, but being short staffed at work like everybody else made it dicey.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : June 29, 2022 7:43 am
Jack_Frost reacted
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

@jszfunk This project is first I do connect with from TTB. It works for me. Listened to Ascension today and thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to more listens. I like the album concept to sit and listen all the way thru. Like the old days.

My thoughts this morning are that it sounds familiar and yet fresh and new. I also liked the quirky film. They seem like a cohesive bunch who are certainly enjoying being part of it all. 

Posted : June 29, 2022 8:01 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I like the new stuff from TTB. It doesn't jump on my like Eat A Peach did/does but I like it and some of it a lot. 

In 1971, late summer, I saw the ABB with horns. They played sparingly. The sax player Juicy Carter had a solo or two (I think Liz Reed was one) but they usually just played the melody line on stuff like You Don't Love Me and probably 60 percent of the songs they were not on stage. 

Often Duane, Dickey and Berry during the jams would get very close to each other and watched each other's faces and to me it was among the greatest playing I've ever heard. 

Not long ago Derek Trucks said in an interview I read he no longer listens to guitar players for inspiration but horn players and foreign music. Said in his formative years it was a ton of Duane Allman and some Elmore James and a third player I can't recall this morning. 

Posted : June 29, 2022 9:52 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Duane's work on Herbie Mann's album is a great example of how he might have integrated with horns, and most of his work at Muscle Schoals was in tandem with a horn section. Considering Dickey and Duane were jamming on "My Favorite Things" and even Warren and Derek brought horns in for "In A Silent Way" and to guest on "Liz Reed" and "Dreams", I think Duane and horns would have been a natural pairing. Duane's slide on "Stand Back" is basically a horn part. I just think they hadn't cracked it yet, Juicy Carter wasn't the right approach.

The Allman Brothers weren't really a "rock" band in the same category as their 1970s power chord crunching contemporaries. Their jazz/blues/soul pedigree allowed them to adapt, and Derek has been taking that torch and running even further with it. As much as I love TTB, I agree their studio albums just don't have the same life, there's something about the production that doesn't translate the same way their live performances do. Let Me Get By was the first album of theirs I thought was really good, but this I Am the Moon series is really exceptional.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 29, 2022 11:03 am
Randall reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob That was a very good Dreams. Funny Jaimoe a few years ago said after Duane Allman passed, Jack Pearson played the best Dreams solos.

It's useless to compare Duane, Derek and Jack. All three are exceptional. Even some of Dickey's non slide Dreams solo were very cosmic and moving. And Warren has played some fine slide solos on Dreams. 

I've watched two African American men comment on Liz Reed off At Fillmore East and both men during Dickey's solo and one on Duane's solo said they hear Miles Davis! And it's too similar to be a coincidence. 

I haven't listen to enough Miles to hear it. But I think it was Jaimoe who got Dickey and Duane and the others listening to Miles Davis and other jazz horn players. 

Posted : June 29, 2022 1:33 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@porkchopbob That was a very good Dreams. Funny Jaimoe a few years ago said after Duane Allman passed, Jack Pearson played the best Dreams solos.

I've always agreed - Jack takes "Dreams" to some amazing places.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 29, 2022 1:40 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Wow that is the wildest Dreams I've heard. Had to listen again. 

From what I read, Jack has some sessions here and there in Nashville and plays with his band a clubs in and around Nashville. Interesting Jack doesn't follow Warren and Derek in having a band on the road and albums coming out. 

Here is Jack and Marcus playing crazy, especially Jack at the end. Wild slide guitar here and Jack has a good band. Drummer and Organ player but no bass player. Like the Doors, the organ guy plays the bass parts with the foot pedals on the organ. 

Posted : June 29, 2022 6:49 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

Another really strong record. Not as jammy as the 1st one and more song / Susan oriented, but some really nice tracks. More Mattison and Dixon!!!!

And is there any other medium to experience these videos other than Youtube? Maybe its just my account, but getting interrupted by commercials every 5 min seems antithetical to the whole point of experiencing these releases uninterrupted front to back...

Posted : July 1, 2022 11:02 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@islalala If you do something I haven't done but should is go up to YouTube's commerical free package. 

Apparently my internet provider pays my access to YouTube in my bill to them. Commercial free would be a fee I would pay directly to Google/YouTube in addition. 

The new TTB material is good. I usually don't enjoy their albums as much as their live shows but this time I do. 

Posted : July 1, 2022 1:35 pm
Share: