The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Thinking of Bobo, What Joy This Website Has Brought To Me  

RSS
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Peach Extraordianire

Spent today playing "Bobo" music. Bobo for Bob O'Brien.

Back in 2005 dozens of us "internet friends" descended upon Pittsburgh for Bobo Fest I. Bob was fighting a long and difficult and eventually unsuccessful fight against cancer. Cancer sucks. It is insidious. It takes away from loved ones so many important and crucial people. We've all unfortunately been touched too often by it's evil intentions.

I started by playing the Instant Live from the show that night 7/16/05. Honestly, not my favorite show, but the importance of that weekend supercedes that. "Funny" how when I was in line for the live copies, I seemed to inherit, Sang's, Cujo's and Brofan's tickets too. Wink  

People had come from all over the U.S. and Canada (yes I'm looking at you Big6 and Lynn) to show our support for Bob's struggle. I had told Bob I couldn't make it that weekend (coming from Nebraska) when I had actually made the decision that I had to be there. I told him "my heart will be in Pittsburgh this weekend." I neglected to say the rest of me would be too. Smile  

I drove in with Sandman (who proudly told the desk clerk "we met on the internet"). This was Friday afternoon, when we'd checked in Sandman and me went to Goliath's room to surprise him. Bob had just left. Goliath called him and said Bob should come back up before leaving. When Bobo saw us, he cried. I like to think because he was surprised, others may think otherwise. Wink  

It was an amazing weekend. I had the opportunity to meet so many people from this website that otherwise I never would have. My biggest regret was only briefly meeting John Ott (SpaceMonkey) in one of the party rooms. RIP John.

Before the show, several people mentioned my close friendship with Captain Skipper. So, I gave him a call and asked "who wants to talk to Skip?" I got my cellphone back more than an hour later. Skip told me later how much that meant to him.

And I guess ultimately that's what this post is all about. Without the desire, love for the band and countless hours and expense by Rowland and Lana, none, absolutely none of this could have happened. There's no way to simply express my graditude. You're the best R&L.

"Y'all know the Fire Marshal...the cat that can't get the job as a policeman." Duane Allman

Posted : October 24, 2020 9:08 pm
Randall, sully, Wayne and 1 people liked
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Peach Extraordianire

To finish the music theme, I played a bootleg show of Booker T with CCR (maybe Bob's favorite band), CCR at Woodstock and also a Keith Urban cd.

For those who knew Bob well he had made a close personal connection with Keith, giving KU a very special acoustic guitar that Bob's grandfather had bought him.

Did I say thank you Rowland & Lana?

You've enriched my life.

I've met people on the internet.....

"Y'all know the Fire Marshal...the cat that can't get the job as a policeman." Duane Allman

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2020 9:12 pm
Lana and harvey liked
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

I drove in with Sandman (who proudly told the desk clerk "we met on the internet")

Was that before or after the infamous dumpster incident?  😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2020 9:19 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Wott a weekend that was.  Southwest had introductory $69 round trips to Pittsburgh.  We stayed at a Holiday Inn for about $29 a night on Hotwire.

Only time I ever got to see the ABB from the side of the stage (thanks Butch!)

Fun watching Lee go buy beers  in the crowd because they played every one of his favorite beer songs .... 

But the best part was hanging out with 30 of my ABB cult friends ... and getting to meet Bob in person.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2020 9:24 pm
sully and Lana liked
harvey
(@harvey)
Ultimate Peach

Sadly, I could not make it over the pond for that momentous event, but I was certainly there in spirit. I exchanged many emails with Bob during that period and was overwhelmed by his positive attitude to life despite what it was throwing at him. I would have loved to have met him in person ... even if I had to wear a pink flamingo shirt ...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2020 4:50 am
Lana liked
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

Among my HTW regrets - never having met Bobo in person.  I know of an about him.  He was family.  Fond memories and hats off to Bobo!  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2020 9:33 am
bird72
(@bird72)
A Peach Supreme

Dear Bob was one of my biggest supporters during my Hep C fight.  Then he goes.  To this day I can't make sense of it.  Bobo rocked.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2020 7:19 pm
fast43
(@fast43)
Peach Pro

That was a fun weekend, too bad Oldcoot was there 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 30, 2020 12:23 pm
Share: