ABB First Set

4 Posts
3 Users
7 Likes
Wayne
(@wayne)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Picked up the vinyl version of First Set Saturday at Record Store Day, sounds great, I believe it has been remastered for vinyl. RSD treated the ABB fans well this year with this one and the 1.31.71 Fillmore West on vinyl that came out last month. Anyway, knowing the First Set was recorded at 3 different venues (Macon, Boston, NY), was wondering if anyone has ever broken down where each song was recorded? I think Blue Sky is from one the Macon shows, Midnight Blues and Melissa from the 2nd Boston show and Dreams and Revival from the Beacon show. Not exactly sure on the others, anyone know? Thanks.

Posted : October 26, 2020 9:50 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

The entire album was suppose to be recorded in Macon. But the band went to the cemetery and other emotional places and Tom Down felt the Macon shows were not completely up to the level Tom was expecting. So Tom recorded at the Orpheum in Boston and the Beacon in New York. It's been years since I read this but if memory is correct, End of the Line and Get On With Your Life were the only tracks used from the Macon City Auditorium. Melissa, Dreams and Revival at the Beacon and the rest at the Orpheum. I seem to remember Tom saying after he got a good Melissa at the Beacon, he stopped recording

Posted : October 27, 2020 11:57 am
harvey, Randall, Wayne and 1 people reacted
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@robertdee good to see you back, blackey!

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 27, 2020 12:06 pm
harvey, sully and Randall reacted
Wayne
(@wayne)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

Posted : October 27, 2020 1:19 pm
Share: