Clear all

Soft Launch of New AllmanBrothersBand.com

46 Posts
23 Users
11 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Not to offend anyone and or Rowland, but it looks like a down grade aesthetically. I dont know a whole lot about the business of website design and so forth, so I guess I should be the last one to judge.  It will take some getting used to.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : September 4, 2020 7:55 am
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

I’ll be frank. I much prefer the old site’s forum setup. This style seems like a step back many years to old sports chat forums. 

I know a lot of work went into this. It’s just my opinion, but since we were asked, I’ll just say that it doesn’t do anything for me. It looks so basic I’m afraid it’ll actually drive people away. 

Posted : September 5, 2020 9:45 pm
missuny1969
(@missuny1969)
Eminent Member

@rowland Hello Rowland. Sorry for missing your comment.

I'm not having that issue anymore. I was logged off for a few days, then I checked back in and it redirected me to the new site. It was probably just a glitch or something. I'm sorry about that!

Freelance artist by daylight, music lover also by daylight.

Posted : September 5, 2020 10:07 pm
missuny1969
(@missuny1969)
Eminent Member

Sorry to post here again, but I have a question.

I'm currently busy with projects, but whenever I get a break in the action, I think I'd like to draw and share some art of ABB. What would be the appropriate place to post that? Thank you.

Posted : September 5, 2020 10:26 pm
rowland reacted
BillyBlastoff
(@billyblastoff)
Famed Member

I just poked in to check out a set list. What a nice surprise! The new site looks GREAT! Very special. I’ll try to pop in more frequently. Hi  

Posted : September 6, 2020 2:12 am
rowland reacted
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @missuny1969

Sorry to post here again, but I have a question.

I'm currently busy with projects, but whenever I get a break in the action, I think I'd like to draw and share some art of ABB. What would be the appropriate place to post that? Thank you.

@missuny1969 - use the Photo Uploads page, found on this menu:

It would go in the Art gallery.  

You can also post photos here by pasting from your clipboard.

Thanks!

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 6, 2020 6:33 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

@jszfunk @cmgst34  All constructive feedback is appreciated.   I hope the new site will grow on you, change can be jarring.

Kind of ironic that it looks like a throwback to you, because it is one of the most widely used forum software products in the world today, whereas the one we use on the old site was created over 10 years ago and has been out of support for years.

The old site did not recognize when running on phones and tablets and the fonts were tiny. This one, including the Forum, will stay readable on small screens.

About half our traffic comes from mobile now, and the old site was getting downgraded by Google search for not handling mobile well.

Cheers,

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 6, 2020 6:48 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

@billyblastoff that's great to hear!  @lana and I would like to reinvigorate the Forum and bring back a lot of the extended family.  A lot of people are looking for an alternative to social media for at least some of their online time, and we'd like them to #ComeHomeAgain!

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 6, 2020 6:50 am
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Reputable Member

So far so good.

Thanks. 

Posted : September 6, 2020 12:34 pm
rowland reacted
missuny1969
(@missuny1969)
Eminent Member

@rowland Ok, thank you!

Posted : September 6, 2020 5:08 pm
jsdonnan
(@jsdonnan)
Trusted Member

Thank you Rowland & Lana for keeping this alive. I come here often and appreciate your efforts.

Posted : September 12, 2020 3:49 am
rowland reacted
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @jsdonnan

Thank you Rowland & Lana for keeping this alive. I come here often and appreciate your efforts.

Our pleasure!  We do this for this big, crazy extended family that has given us so much over the decades.  As The Man said, "y'all are a great bunch!"

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 12, 2020 8:15 am
DanB
 DanB
(@danb)
Prominent Member

@Rowland 

the first thing I did when I got on the World Wide Web was search the Allman Brothers. This was a dos based PC in the early 90's. Back when you had to call the Hotline to get tour dates. 

Posted : September 12, 2020 9:53 am
PorkchopBob and rowland reacted
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @danb

@Rowland 

the first thing I did when I got on the World Wide Web was search the Allman Brothers. This was a dos based PC in the early 90's. Back when you had to call the Hotline to get tour dates. 

I remember well!  I was on Compuserve - 70075,117 - why do I remember that still?!

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 12, 2020 4:45 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
piacere
(@piacere)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @rowland
Posted by: @danb

@Rowland 

I remember well!  I was on Compuserve - 70075,117 - why do I remember that still?!

Because your brain is the size of Montana? Just a guess... Cool  

Posted : September 12, 2020 5:30 pm
chris
(@chris)
Trusted Member

Looks great. I was wondering how long this old forum would last. If you Google the old software dev of the ABB forum (XForum by Trollix Software), you'll notice ABB's site is about the only one who still used it. 

Had to be bloated beyond recognition. 

For folks who say they don't know much about web design, note that websites age in dog-years. So the last one was almost 140 years old!!! (I recall around 2000 when Rowland and Lana launched the forum - after the anonymous guestbook/Dickey's fax thing happened)

Posted : September 16, 2020 10:59 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: