46 Posts
23 Users
11 Likes
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Hi Folks,
It's been over 12 years since the last major website makeover.
It still works great, but for a number of reasons it's time for a makeover.

Main reasons are to be easier to use on mobile devices and tablets, and to migrate to a newer platform that is more easily maintained. The current site has a couple of years of custom coding in it, the new one uses about 95% off the shelf components.

Most things have been moved over, I still have some more to go. But there's enough there for people to kick the tires in a "beta test" mode and let me know what you find.

The new site is at https://ww1.allmanbrothersband.com.

Forum posts since October 2014 have been moved over.

You will need to reset your password on the new site before you can login there. Links are provided on the login page. Passwords are encrypted and cannot be carried over.

Main things I have not moved over:
1) Still have more biographies to move
2) Online maintaining of tape lists - I noticed there has been very little use of these over the past several years and unless I'm missing something, this will be discontinued in the new site
3) Comments for photos and news storied - will work on those
4) Your avatar in the forum - the new site give you more freedom to upload a profile photo so I thought that might be more attractive than the old simplistic avatars

You can leave feedback in this thread, or use the Contact Us form (link is in the footer) on either site.

I have not widely publicized this yet, but figured the group here would be a good bunch to give it a look.

Thanks,
Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 1, 2020 8:08 am
Wayne
(@wayne)
Estimable Member

The new site looks nice and clean Rowland, I like the white backgrounds too. This will be my 3rd ABB site over the years that you and Lana have done, thanks for all you do!

Posted : September 1, 2020 8:40 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Looks great, Rowland. Always niceto refresh and update every few years. Thanks for keeping this space alive.

[Edited on 9/1/2020 by porkchopbob]

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 1, 2020 9:08 am
JimmyR
(@jimmyr)

Rowland, the new site looks great. Thanks for keeping' it going

Posted : September 1, 2020 9:53 am
pixielf
(@pixielf)
Honorable Member

Looks good, Rowland! Works for me! And let me echo Porkchopbob's comment. Thank you for keeping this site alive. I have made many special friends here and it has become a place of comfort for many years now.

Posted : September 1, 2020 9:58 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Looks great!
Much easier to use with my iphone

Question - when I logged in for the 1st time with m phone, I got an email to verify login. I then logged in from my pc at work and got the same email. Will this happen every time we use a new device / browser?
Thanks

Posted : September 1, 2020 10:58 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Wayne, you've been with us almost from the beginning then. This is the fifth iteration of the site.

I'll keep this one online in case anyone needs to search back further than 6 years ago. Moving over all 3M+ forum posts might slow things down on the new site.

If you have time, please login to the new site - after resetting your password - and feel free to post, upload photos to the gallery, etc. If everything is working OK, I will switch over to that site this week, maybe as soon as tomorrow. Moving over forum posts incrementally from this site takes a lot of manual work, so I'd rather get things going on the new site asap.

Cheers,
Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 1, 2020 11:13 am
Wayne
(@wayne)
Estimable Member

Rowland, I think it was 1995 or 1996, when Warren and Woody left. I remember RickT and Deano! There have been some strange ones over the years!

Posted : September 1, 2020 11:43 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

That's about when we started, Wayne.

Strange indeed.

We started via Ron Currens connecting us with Butch, who said "Build a website!" So we did. John Curatolo had access to a web server and got us an account there.

It has been, and continues to be, an honor and a privilege to serve the community.

Cheers,
Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 1, 2020 11:48 am
hotlantatim
(@hotlantatim)
Prominent Member

Thank you Rowland!

I found this site 23 years ago, right after I read in the Atlanta Journal Constitution that Warren & Woody had left the ABB and tickets were on sale for an Atlanta show. I've never left. I think it was late 2000 when you first needed a password to post. I was TimFromHotlanta until one of the site changes and then became hotlantatim. I found the Listserv in '99 I think and posted there also until the end (it may technically still be alive on yahoogroups). Of course, social media changed everything and I'm connected with well over 100 I met directly or indirectly through this site, including Wanee and Beacon visits.

What a blessing you and Lana were to the band. Collecting what is probably 100k+ email addresses of big ABB fans. Beacon Run booked? Write an email and hit send and sell out!

Is there a way to bring in the older threads before Oct 2014? I still go back to them. Sometimes it's to find a musical recommendation I remember reading 15 years ago or to reminisce.

Great stuff and thanks for continuing to do this! Take care and know that you are loved!

Tim

Posted : September 1, 2020 11:50 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

My earliest HTN memory was in 1995 or '96 when they announced the return of "Ain't Wasting Time No More" (nuts to think it was out of rotations for 2 decades). With no upcoming albums, that was the big announcement on the home page for the upcoming tour, including a music file that my dial up took ages to load and play. But I waited 😉

A lot sure has changed, but I'm glad all the people who still hang out here keep coming back.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : September 1, 2020 12:03 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Y'all have better memories than me Smile

Regarding searches for old posts, I will keep the old site up at a different URL (like blue.allmanbrothersband.com or something, will announce) so you can still search there for something prior to 2014.

Just moving posts from 2014 forward is over 150K posts, if I move them all it's over 3M and I'm concerned about slowing the new site down if I move it all over.

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 1, 2020 12:18 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

Thanks to both Roland and Lana for making all of the incarnations of this site thru the years. I have been around since the John C server days too. I check in at least twice a day. This was a godsend when I discovered it.

I remember way back when, when the only info about the band was in Rolling Stone or local newspapers advertising a show. Remember newspapers???

And thanks to all the great posters out there who are always teaching me something about my favorite band.

Long live the Allman Brothers Band.

[Edited on 9/1/2020 by steved]

Posted : September 1, 2020 12:50 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

The new site looks great Rowland, & thanks to you & Lana for keeping it going - signed up in Jan. 2002 & have enjoyed it ever since
Miss the sisters that posted here - Rainy, Kitty, Susea, bigann, greggswoman, music10, ruthlane, the wonderful late great pastdreams, etc etc
Anyone remember the irascible JAG (hehe)

[Edited on 9/1/2020 by Stephen]

Posted : September 1, 2020 12:52 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

It would be nice to get more of the old gang back here and posting.

We all use social media and I know a lot of people migrated there, but I also know a lot of people are getting tired of some aspects of social media too. Not opening that can of worms, just wondering what it would take to make the new site a fun place for more folks.

Lana wonders the same!

Cheers,
Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 1, 2020 1:06 pm
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

I am sure there are many reasons. Age might be a factor.

And people don't listen to music like they used to. I am not an audiophile by any means (although I would love to be $$$) but I cannot understand how people are satisfied listening to low fidelity these days. Music seems to be just a background to many folks while they are busy with other tasks.

I will say to my kids who are adults, do you hear what the bass player, drummer, etc is doing? They look at me like I am nuts.

So I think the whole music scene has changed that people don't really care about the musicians anymore.

But I am an old fart and what do I know.

That said I know what I like. And the fact that I am posting on this site - you know what I like...

Posted : September 1, 2020 1:50 pm
Wis608
(@wis608)
Trusted Member

Will the whipping still be available to have the liberal biased members curb stomp Trump and anyone with a conservative mindset into submission? 😛 😉

Posted : September 1, 2020 5:27 pm
missuny1969
(@missuny1969)
Eminent Member

This will be a cool change! I'm brand new to this site, and when I first saw it I was like "Wow, this is like something from my childhood." I wasn't even sure if it was still running.

It's always good to have change and give things a new splash of paint. Plus, I imagine maintenance wise it would be easier to work with.

I hope the photo section will carry over. It's fun looking through those.

Freelance artist by daylight, music lover also by daylight.

Posted : September 1, 2020 6:04 pm
missuny1969
(@missuny1969)
Eminent Member

I'll have to check out/log into the new site later on, once the new site's more established. My browser says it might not be safe right now.(Security stuff) I'll have to wait a while, but I'll check it out sometime!

Freelance artist by daylight, music lover also by daylight.

Posted : September 1, 2020 6:10 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

Haven't had time to look at the new site but regardless: A personal Thank You Rowland for all you do to make this such a wonderful thought sharing Forum.

Posted : September 1, 2020 6:59 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks Rob.

MissSuny - there shouldn't be any security warnings, the site is on https. I get the "lock" icon in Chrome on all pages which indicates the proper https security is in place.

Please send me the link of the page where you are getting the warning. You may need to reload / refresh your browser, it might be using cached information from one site to try to verify the other.

Thanks!
Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 2, 2020 12:25 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Regarding the Whipping Post, all current forums with activity in the past six years are carried over.

As far as "curb stomping" goes, honestly, the only dark spot in over 20 years of doing this is when members tear into each other. That's not what this site was founded to do, and it tears us up when it happens.

I know you were sort of being tongue-in-cheek, and the "curb stomping" comes from all angles not just the one you characterized. I wish I knew how to stop it entirely and still keep the forum open. We try.

As the saying goes, "but I digress..."

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 2, 2020 12:29 am
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

Roland - the new version looks great - thanks to you and Lana for keeping this website going.

I have made numerous life-long friends through this site over the past 20 years ... I know a lot of folks now keep in touch through FB, including me, but I still like to check in here and read the music discussions and occasionally chip in.

One question: I noticed that my DUANE ERA RECORDINGS thread is not on the new site in the Duane sub-forum of the Historical Members section ... is that because the original post was made in 2007 or have you moved it to another location?

Posted : September 2, 2020 12:33 am
dadof2 reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

Anyone see the thread about the new ABB live releases due later this year?

Posted : September 2, 2020 11:47 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

@harvey Hi Colin!  Thanks for the kind words.

Any topics / threads started prior to October 2014 were not moved over, but are still visible on the old site.  

As things settle down I may be able to figure a way to move individual older threads to the new Forum, but for now I recommend creating a new topic here, or referring to the old thread on blue.allmanbrothersband.com if you need to find something specific.

Cheers,

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 2, 2020 1:20 pm
harvey reacted
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

@matt05 Hey Matt - it's here:  https://ww1.allmanbrothersband.com/community/postid/12248/

I found it by typing "Archival" in the Forum Search box on the upper right in the Forum sidebar.

Cheers,

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 2, 2020 1:22 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

If you're having trouble resetting your password, please check your Spam folder.  The reset password messages seem to be ending up there for some members.

You may have to mark the message as "not spam" in order to move it to your inbox and be able to click the link.

I'll get right to it...

Posted : September 2, 2020 1:24 pm
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

Posted by: @rowland

@matt05 Hey Matt - it's here:  https://ww1.allmanbrothersband.com/community/postid/12248/

I found it by typing "Archival" in the Forum Search box on the upper right in the Forum sidebar.

Cheers,

Rowland

thank you

Posted : September 2, 2020 1:35 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

@rowland Fully understand that you can't copy all the old threads over. I have a copy of the original list of Duane era shows on my hard drive so I will post it again and add a link to the blue site for anybody who wants to access the various discussions that have been posted over the past few years. Cheers, Colin.

Posted : September 2, 2020 3:39 pm
rowland reacted
WayneK
(@waynek)

Bummer, someone took my name, so I have gone from Wayne to WayneK. I had Wayne since I have been here, 1995. Oh well! 

This post was modified 4 years ago by WayneK

Posted : September 2, 2020 10:13 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: