The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Mule-O-Ween Fillmore East Set on Nugs Saturday 10/30/21

robslob
(@robslob)
World Class Peach

https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-govt-mule-the-tabernacle-atlanta-ga-10-30-2021-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/27586-WEBCAST.html

After the description of the show click on "show more".

This topic was modified 1 month ago by robslob
Topic starter Posted : October 26, 2021 11:34 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Should be a good set. Fillmore East is one of Warren's most influential albums. Warren has said he and his brother almost wore out their copy and he was greatly influenced by the guitar playing and the entire band. 

Warren has also mentioned Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton being important influences so no doubt Layla and Other Love Songs may be something the Mule may do later. Warren has already had a Hendrix salute and it was the first and only time I've seen Warren play a Strat with a whammy bar and he used it too. I think the body of the guitar was orange. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2021 8:00 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Well they played At Fillmore East in it's entirety last night for the second set. Charlie Starr was the other lead guitar and Paul Riddle was the other drummer. Duane and Gregg Allman friend Tommy Talton joined in for a three guitar attack on Mountain Jam. 

They were all wearing Halloween masks!  

No just kidding.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 1, 2021 9:51 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

Anyone that attended Mule-o-Ween willing to give us a review of the show? Highlights? How was the Fillmore set?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 1, 2021 2:39 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@bill_graham I decided not to go to Atlanta. My X wife died of Covid October 27th. Daughter understandably upset. 

I haven't seen a review or any footage on YouTube. 

A friend said it was a hot 2nd set for At Fillmore East. Warren sang Statesboro Blues but Charlie Starr sang Must Have Did Someone Wrong. The album was played in order of tracks with Paul Riddle joining Matt Apts for tandem drums. They added Mountain Jam (of course you hear the beginning of it on the last song fade on the album) and old Duane Allman friend Tommy Talton joined in on MJ. 

I was told it wasn't the original ABB and anyone expecting it to sound like that may have been disappointed but still a hot take on what most critics say is the best or one of the best live rock albums ever. 

I think had I made it I would have been very pleased. I gave up on finding a lineup or band that kicked behind like the original ABB long ago. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a good rocking show. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2021 11:14 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Peach Extraordianire

sorry to hear about your ex

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2021 12:39 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

@robertdee Sorry for your loss rd

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2021 3:12 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Guys thank you so much. She was 71. I'm 74. Life is short. So why did it take so long for me to go from 13 to 16 so I could drive? Felt like 15 years and it was just 3. 

I just know Warren and the others were good saluting At Fillmore East. They loved the original ABB and that album. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2021 4:48 pm
slothrop8
(@slothrop8)
Peach Master

I watched the webcast and while it was very good, I was a little underwhelmed by Charlie Starr as the other guitarist. Warren delivered as always - but when the Mule did Watkins Glenn for NYE some years back the other guitarist was Jack Pearson. Other than Jack - the other players I’ve heard most with Warren (either doing ABB or in other contexts) are Dickey Betts when he still had his fastball, Jimmy Herring, and of course Derek Trucks.  Obviously that’s ridiculously tough company to stack up against, however Charlie Starr did a competent job but never caught fire and wowed me like I think you need from both guitarists if you’re going to do At Fillmore East.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2021 7:38 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@slothrop8 Yes Dickey in his day and Jack, Jimmy and Derek could/can knock it out of the park in a NY minute. 

But Charlie is a real good player. There is a recent picture of Charlie and Duane Betts hugging on Duane's Facebook page so Charlie is in that circle. 

How was Tommy Talton during Mountain Jam. Duane Allman thought a lot of Tommy. I especially like Tommy's slide playing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2021 5:13 pm
Share: