January 22nd Jimmy Herring's 59th BIRTHDAY

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member
Topic starter

January 22nd was Jimmy Herring's 59th birthday.  Jimmy is an excellent guitar player. Here he is covering a Led Zeppelin song Since I've Been Loving You.

According to article on the net Jimmy is using an electric guitar made specifically for Jimmy by the Fender custom shop. Unlike most Stratocasters this guitar has just TWO pickups, a neck measured and constructed to Jimmy's specifications. A whammy bar that is locking to prevent the whammy from ever putting the instrument out of tune. This guitar has a fast neck, is carefully crafted  and has unparalleled tone and ease of play. Watch Jimmy make this exceptional instrument show its stuff. 

Nice commercial for Jimmy's guitar don't you think? Well it is one of the finest electric guitars around so says Jimmy.

This topic was modified 3 years ago by robertdee

Posted : January 23, 2021 8:00 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Happy birthday to Jimmy!  I didn't realize that I was older than him ... especiall THAT much older!  Whoopersnapper!  😉 

Posted : January 24, 2021 9:27 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@rusty I hear you Rusty.  I'm 74 and 59 sounds so young now. But I remember when I thought someone over 40 must have been here when Mount Hood was formed. 

Jimmy is such an advanced and smooth player. And the guitar he uses in the above clip has such an amazing tone!!! Maybe the best tone I've heard. The Les Paul Dickey used on OWO on Eat A Peach use to be my favorite. 

The Fender custom shop made that Stratocaster to Jimmy's specifications.  And rather than having the standard 3 single coils it has just two big pickups. 

Posted : January 24, 2021 10:13 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

IMO, Jimmy Herring is one of the finest guitarist around today. His ability to mesh with others players at all levels is a tentmate of his natural skills. Happy 59th Birthday. I wish him much success as we continue our journey in the year that is 2021!

Posted : January 24, 2021 11:28 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member
Topic starter

After listening through 4 times, I vote for Jimmy Herring's guitar on the Led Zeppelin cover above having the best tone I've heard on an electric guitar.  Anyone can to chime in?

Mine use to be the Gold Top Les Paul Dickey used soon after they played the Fillmore shows through much of 1972. One Way Out on Eat A Peach is the tone I'm referring to but I think Jimmy's custom shop Strat has it beat. 

Posted : January 24, 2021 3:00 pm
Share: