Gary Rossington, Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Last Original Member, Dead at 71

11 Posts
11 Users
10 Likes
allmansrvvegas
(@allmansrvvegas)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Gary Rossington, Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Last Original Member, Dead at 71 – Rolling Stone

This topic was modified 1 year ago 3 times by allmansrvvegas

Posted : March 5, 2023 10:19 pm
matt05 reacted
salcapitano
(@salcapitano)
Estimable Member

It just saddens my heart. RIP Gary.

Posted : March 5, 2023 11:08 pm
matt05 reacted
dobro
(@dobro)
Eminent Member

RIP Mr Rossington......not the happiest way to start a Monday but I'm gonna blast the eerie slide solo from Cheatin Woman.

Fly High

Posted : March 6, 2023 9:47 am
matt05 reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I want to dedicate this to Duane Allman and Berry Oakley of the Allman Brothers Band.  And now to Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant, Gregg Allman, Butch Trucks, Ed King , Billy Powell, Allen Woody, Bob Burns and Lama Williams and Danny Toler. 

Posted : March 6, 2023 12:12 pm
VTAB
 VTAB
(@vtab)
Estimable Member

RIP Gary, the Lynyrd Skynyrd band had a huge impact on so many of us. I loved your music, lyrics, solos.

I was fortunate to see you with Rossington, Collins and then again when LS reformed. A snowbird spending a 

month in Jacksonville one winter. My wife and I were out walking the dogs to happen upon Robert E Lee HS. 

That moment brought back years of memories. Thank you, I truly appreciate your music. 

Posted : March 7, 2023 2:11 pm
matt05 and StratDal reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

sad they are all gone now other than artimus and ricky medlocke

Posted : March 7, 2023 8:05 pm
griff
(@griff)
Reputable Member

1975 My friend Chris got us 3rd row right center for Charlie Daniels at NYC's Academy of Music on 14th. St. Lynyrd Skynyrd was the main act  Ed King was still with the band. Ronnie loved to say how "we're gonna do it for NYC just like Duane Allman and Berry Oakley used to do it". Half the crowd cheered and half were screaming "heresy". Ronnie was amused and they were all drinking from bottles of Jack and beer sitting back on the amps.  Allen, Gary and Ed along with Leon blasted us into submission. It took 3 days for me to regain 100% of my hearing. Amazing show. RIP Gary. You were one hell of a "mule" as Ronnie used to call you 3. "I'm gonna sick my mules on ya". Indeed. Yeah RIP Chris too. We;re gettin old.

Posted : March 8, 2023 2:54 pm
matt05 reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

I always liked Garys stage presence. Nothing over the top or flamboyant. Just had a steady rock groove and a little bounce in his step. Very cool.

I know in the 90's the unplugged/acoustic thing got pretty big. I highly recommend Skynyrds "Endangered Species". Good stuff.

They have a tour scheduled for this summer with ZZTop . I am guessing they probably will continue this in honor of GR. Will they add another guitarist? Gary was more of the rythm player and Rickey and Mark more of the leads, I believe? Maybe have some guests rotate in and out.
Warren would be pretty cool to hear him sit in  on a few tunes , but he will be tied up with GM.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : March 10, 2023 12:49 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Saw the original LS lineup once and it was outstanding. They opened for Marshall Tucker, pretty sure in '74, I could check the ticket stub. Had tickets bought to see them again what would have been less than a month after the crash.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : March 10, 2023 2:28 pm
matt05 and StratDal reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

He was a great player. Didn't seem to grab the spotlight on stage. Certainly not old enough to have seen the original band but I think I am fortunate in that I have seen them several times since 1993. I saw Gary, Hughie, Billy, Leon and Ed King. Never saw Artemis. I think they have carried on the band for a very long time and done it very well.

They used to get a lot of guff on this site which I never understood. 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : March 10, 2023 4:13 pm
matt05 reacted
KCJimmy
(@kcjimmy)
Honorable Member

I was at the Fox in Hot'Lanta for the 1st & 3rd shows when the original band recorded One More From The Road. Incredible shows. I also had tickets to see them at the Omni but the crash happened instead. R.I.P Gary.

Posted : March 10, 2023 5:53 pm
matt05 reacted
Share: