Prominent Member
Topic starter

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/dickey-betts-1958-gibson-les-paul-auction

Posted : November 24, 2022 11:30 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Damn!  If only I had used coupons and bought store brands when I was buying our Thanksgiving feast ...  

Posted : November 25, 2022 6:35 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

From reading the article above, it sounds like it was lasted owned by Toler. I wonder who has possession  of it now and is selling, maybe someone in his family?

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : November 25, 2022 1:14 pm
MarkRamsey
(@markramsey)
Estimable Member

I thought Joe Bonamassa was the most recent owner. I picked up that guitar in 1982 at a place in Columbus Ohio. Just a drunk college boy and obviously some roadie was asleep on the job!

Posted : November 25, 2022 9:48 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk Danny Toler sold the guitar to collector Matthieu Lucas. I was very disappointed that Danny sold a gift guitar from Dickey and Dickey used it on the classic At Fillmore East. 

I assume Danny Toler needed the money. And when Toler sold the guitar, he was and for several years, playing a red Stratocaster with a whammy bar. Toler had incorporated the whammy bar into his style of play. 

Joe Bonamassa got to play the guitar in about 1983 as a kid. In 2019 Lucas brought the guitar to a Bonamassa show in France and Bonamassa played it on stage that night. 

I don't think I ever read how much Lucas paid Toler for the Les Paul. As I said, Toler apparently needed the money. Otherwise I can't imagine he would have sold the Fillmore East guitar that Dickey gave him when the ABB got back on the road in 1978. 

I know Gary Moore sold Peter Greene's Greeny Les Paul because he needed the money. The Metallica lead player owns it now. 

https://guitar.com/features/artist-rigs/dickey-betts-1958-gibson-les-paul-standard/

Posted : November 26, 2022 8:06 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@markramsey Danny Toler sold it to collector Matthieu Lucas. I was disappointed when I read that because the guitar is on At Fillmore East and Dickey gave it to Toler when the Allman Brothers Band got back on the road in 1978. 

Joe Bonamassa got to play the guitar about 1983 as a kid. Then in 2019, Matthieu Lucas brought the guitar to a Bonamassa show in France and Joe played it on stage at that show. 

Dan Toler used this guitar the entire time he was in the Allman Brothers (1978-1982 and two shows in 1986) and The Gregg Allman Band (1982-1989) but Toler had switched to a red Stratocaster with a whammy bar some years earlier before he sold the Les Paul and he used the whammy bar a lot which gave him a different style. Even though Toler wasn't using the guitar on stage anymore, I was still disappointed he sold it. Whether he got permission from Dickey, I don't know. He sold it after Danny suddenly quit Great Southern in the 2000s but he played that whammy bar Strat in Great Southern in the 2000's. 

Here is the article I found a few days ago. 

https://guitar.com/features/artist-rigs/dickey-betts-1958-gibson-les-paul-standard/

This post was modified 1 year ago by robertdee

Posted : November 26, 2022 8:15 am
aiq
 aiq
(@aiq)
Reputable Member

As a tv station owner I used to work for told me, everything except my family is for sale.

I have a Firebird, Les Paul, and SG I love but if someone offered me $200,000 for one of them I would wrap it up in paper and ribbon and bid it adieu.

Posted : November 26, 2022 1:14 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Posted by: @aiq

As a tv station owner I used to work for told me, everything except my family is for sale.

I have a Firebird, Les Paul, and SG I love but if someone offered me $200,000 for one of them I would wrap it up in paper and ribbon and bid it adieu.

I've got a few family members that I'll let go cheap!  All sales are final - no refunds  You ain't gettin' your money back!  Caveat emptor, baby!  😉 

$200K would replace and/or upgrade every instrument that I own!  Several times over!  

Posted : November 26, 2022 1:59 pm
aiq reacted
redhouse1969
(@redhouse1969)
Reputable Member

Once it was gifted to Danny it was his to do with whatever... I believe it is the I'm no Angel Guitar. 

Guitar has made the rounds through the years... Here is Udo Pipper from Germany playing it rather well.. 

Posted : November 30, 2022 3:51 pm
Share: