Allman Family Revival 2022 on presale tomorrow August 3rd

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Devon announced an 18 date AFR tour for this year. Presale starts tomorrow with code REVIVAL22

https://www.allmanfamilyrevival.com/?fbclid=IwAR14ctwdyV3sBKT4mbHKM62SgzEuLHZFS2FuiVhikJHTBdV0GQuj9q4J2-w

You can see more details on Devon Allman's Facebook page.

I went to the show last year at he Boston Orpheum, 5th row center seats, and it was one of the best concerts I have seen recently.

Locally for me this year it is at the Shubert Theater in Boston and I will grab my tickets at the presale tomorrow morning.

Anyone else planning on going to any of the shows?

Edit: interesting it features The Devon Allman Project with Duane Betts as a guest. Does this mean The Allman Betts band is no more?

This topic was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : August 2, 2022 2:33 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I was just in the middle of starting a thread on it. I have never heard of it. I like the various lineups, Larry McCray, the Dickenson brothers, George Porter, Ian Neville, etc.

I was wondering the same thing about Devon and Duane. 

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : August 2, 2022 3:20 pm
Joe_the_Lurker
(@joe_the_lurker)
Reputable Member

No BO, no GO

I had 2nd row tix for Tulsa last tour and it got cancelled the day before and then the whole thing quickly fell apart.  I have no idea what happened as i'm just another fan but it makes me sad that they couldn't work out whatever the hell happened to Mess Up a Good Thing.  Berry toured with Duane this summer so it makes me assume that something happened between Berry and Devon.

Posted : August 2, 2022 3:28 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@joe_the_lurker 

Yeah it is a bit of a mystery what happened with The Allman Betts band. When they originally went on "hiatus" I think the company line was they were taking a break so everyone could do their own thing for a while and then were planning on getting back end of 2022. Now with the Allman Family Revival concerts it looks like they are not getting back together at least this year.

It would be a real shame if they are done for good as I really liked the albums they put out and they did a nice job with the ABB covers in concert.

It is a shame of BO is not part of the Revival shows but that is not a deal breaker for me as last years Boston Orpheum concert was amazing so I would assume this years concerts should be pretty good as well. Love seeing bands in theaters and the Shubert Theater in Boston is a fantastic venue for a concert.

Posted : August 2, 2022 3:37 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@lee 

Evidently they have been doing these concerts since 2017. The concert at the Boston Orpheum last year was amazing. They had fantastic guests and did great covers of ABB song, other covers as well as some Allman Betts songs and played close to 3 hours

Looks like a similar lineup of guests this year in Boston but also adding Luthar Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars) and Ian and Ivan Neville so should be a great concert. 

Posted : August 2, 2022 3:48 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I guess they have never hit Chicago.

Having North Mississippi All-Stars (basically) kind of being an ancillary "band" is interesting.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : August 2, 2022 3:58 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well after much frustration I finally got my tix for me and the wife in the 7th row left center near the aisle.

For Boston you can only get tix through the Bosch Center Telecharge, I tried to get tix on the presale Wednesday and did something to cause them to block me. They never told me what I did wrong but they finally unblocked me today so was able to get through.

If this years show is anything like last year it should be a concert to remember.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : August 4, 2022 11:55 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@lee Going to see the NMA end of September. I have seen them half a dozen times and the Dickinson brothers always put on a great show. Tix for the shows in this area are $30 or less so a great value to see an outstanding band

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : August 5, 2022 12:04 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I have Gov't Mule coming to my area this month so going to that. 

As to Allman Betts Band the original guessing and talk online was Devon was being pushed too much into a sideman role with Duane Betts, BO and Johnny getting so much spotlight time singing and playing guitar solos. That it came to a head so the band shelved it's self and took a break. 

With Duane, BO and Johnny touring this summer with an acoustic show it did seem Devon needed to get his solo thing going again. And indeed I noticed Devon had sections on acoustic guitar and no or just back up singing the times I saw Allman Betts and I thought how gracious he was to share the spotlight in a band of equals setting after years fronting his own bands. 

But I found a post online about a month ago from someone who claimed to have access to inside info and the person claimed they shouldn't and wouldn't reveal the actual reason the Allman Betts Band suddenly quit but those claiming Devon needed to break with Duane Betts are wrong. The problem wasn't between Devon and Duane Betts and Devon having to let Duane Betts sing and have a good deal of spotlight time. It was something else. But they wouldn't say what it was. 

Apparently that must be true as Duane Betts is doing this tour with Devon. 

So I haven't a clue why the Allman Betts Band suddenly collapsed. And just when they may have been about to break out and perhaps draw as well as Gov't Mule or Sea Level etc. I thought it was a shame to fold just when it was looking so promising. 

Maybe they will be back next year. Hope so. 

It was also cool for me to see Devon play all those different guitars he took out that belonged to Gregg and Duane had three of Dickey's electric guitars on stage plus BO had that Fender bass called the tractor. Dickey had that bass at his house for years but gave it to Berry so he could play the same ax his dad did. But his dad had another one too. It's been so long but I think the other bass his dad played with the ABB some nights was a Guild bass guitar. 

Devon said in an interview Gregg Allman had 42 guitars when he died and he left all of them plus Duane Allman's guitar strap to Devon. I noticed Devon wearing that too. With those rings in it. 

Posted : August 5, 2022 7:09 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Just goes to show you what unique individuals Duane and Gregg were as they believed the band was an equal partnership as they both could have had great careers as front men in their own bands.

Now I am hoping Devon just needed some time to do his own thing, kind of like Gregg doing his solo tours, and Allman Betts eventually get back together but based on the lack of feedback from the band members I worry that band is toast. It would be too bad as I thought they were really putting out good music and slowly building a following like the Duane era ABB did by touring and word of mouth.

I saw them 4x and every show was excellent so here's hoping they reform next year.

Posted : August 5, 2022 11:53 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham I saw them three times and I agree. They were starting to really gel and the lady show drew hundreds, maybe over 1,000 fans. 

Hope they come back late this year or next and do not completely break up. 

It's interesting how quiet they have kept things this year. Nobody really knows what happened. As I indicated the initial guessing was Devon needed to go back to fronting his own band as he tired of less and less of spotlight time but apparently that isn't it. And apparently it had nothing to do with sharing space with Duane Betts on stage. It was something else. But what? 

They aren't letting it get out whatever it is! 

Reminds me in a smaller way how the Allman Brothers let it slip away in the mid 1970's when Brothers and Sisters surprised and sold over 5 million copies, was number one for 5 weeks and the band became headliners who could sell out a coliseum anywhere on either coast. 

Posted : August 5, 2022 1:03 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham I saw them three times and I agree. They were starting to really gel and the last show I saw drew hundreds, maybe over 1,000 fans. 

Hope they come back late this year or next and do not completely break up. 

It's interesting how quiet they have kept things this year. Nobody really knows what happened. As I indicated the initial guessing was Devon needed to go back to fronting his own band as he tired of less and less of spotlight time but apparently that isn't it. And apparently it had nothing to do with sharing space with Duane Betts on stage. It was something else. But what? 

They aren't letting it get out whatever it is! 

Reminds me in a smaller way how the Allman Brothers let it slip away in the mid 1970's when Brothers and Sisters surprised and sold over 5 million copies, was number one for 5 weeks and the band became headliners who could sell out a coliseum anywhere on either coast. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : August 5, 2022 1:03 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Always thought Devon and the rest of the band did a good job on Purple Rain at the shows I saw. They always got big applause!! 

Posted : August 5, 2022 1:23 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

I wish they would come thru the Mid west. 

Is Johnny Stachela going to be involved?

Who knows what's going on with the Allman Betts Band. Like others mentioned and I agree, I felt they were getting some traction and making some waves. No Barry, ego's, personalities, musical direction differences, etc.... who knows?

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : August 6, 2022 12:55 am
Share: