ABB documentary -- any news?

16 Posts
8 Users
1 Likes
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Does anyone know what's going on with this project?  

At 23:39 The Allman Bothers comes up with a tease about a decent documentary.

Billastro

Posted : January 26, 2021 12:24 pm
dzobo
(@dzobo)
Reputable Member

I asked this in an email to Kirk West several months ago and his response was a "thumps up".  But I have no idea why it is taking so long.  I think there may be a concern about the effects the pandemic would have on distribution.

Posted : January 26, 2021 1:44 pm
peachlovingman
(@peachlovingman)
Reputable Member

I've been asking folks on here for at least 10 years asking why the Atlanta Pop Festival show is never released on DVD. I never get a straight answer. Every once in a while, another little tease is released, but still no movie with Duane. I can even remember several years ago when the footage from the Atlanta Pop Fest was to be combined with footage from another festival- in a "Southern Woodstock" documentary heavily featuring the ABB. Chuck Leavell narrated a trailer for this upcoming film and then one song from the APF - "Statesboro Blues"- showed up on youtube. Insiders on here  said they had seen the recently developed raw film and said it was in pristine condition, despite having sat in the can undeveloped for 45 years! But not long after,  the trailer with Chuck disappeared.

Most of you probably remember that several months ago, another song/video- I think it was "Don't Keep me Wondering" from the APF featuring Duane was released on youtube, but then it was pulled without explanation. Dickey even had it up on his instagram for a few days! It was an awesome clip.  I had seen the Eddie Kramer interview you posted, and so I was hoping that he had completed the film and remixed the music, so the release of the DVD couldn't be far behind. I was wrong.

I got so frustrated that I actually emailed Eddie Kramer himself about 5 months ago about the film- but no reply at all. Then a few months ago, ABB re-released a digital remix of the audio from Atlanta Pop Festival on CD, but this was an extreme disappointment, to say the least. I already have the CD, seeing Duane on a DVD is what I want- as a guitarist it thrills me every time I watch him play. Anybody out there know what happened to the Atlanta Pop Fest video?

I forgot to mention, that the folks behind "Jimmy Carter: Rock & Roll President", originally were going to do a documentary on the ABB. But part way through, they ditched the ABB doc, then decided to focus on Jimmy Carter's friendship with various musicians, including Gregg.

Posted : January 26, 2021 6:34 pm
tori
 tori
(@tori)
Estimable Member

I remember an article from Relix in 1996 or 1997 where Kirk describes several projects on the verge of release, one of which was a Fillmore West box set. That project came out . . . 20 years later. Hope springs eternal. 

Posted : January 26, 2021 9:45 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

@dzobo

This sounds like horsefeathers to me. "The Final Note" was released while COVID was and is a factor, available via mail and downloads. 

Duane died almost 50 years ago, and this material is still languishing. More and more of the fan base are dying of old age, illness, and other causes. How does this delay serve them?

This reminds me of Aesop's fable of the dog in the manger: http://read.gov/aesop/081.html

Billastro

This post was modified 3 years ago by Billastro

Posted : January 27, 2021 11:23 am
missuny1969
(@missuny1969)
Eminent Member

So I watched the clip, and it seems like this documentary is in early production. I don't know when this project was originally launched, as I can't find anything when I type in "Allman Brothers documentary."(Song of the South, After the Crash and Please Call Home only come up)

I have no clue if this is part of that remake of the Please Call Home doc or if it's a separate thing entirely, but either way this seems to be in early production, so right now information on it is scarce and those involved probably have to keep quiet about it.

Unfortunately we're just gonna have to wait for this project, but I'm hopeful we'll get more information on it soon. Recently I've been trying to hunt down early ABB footage to put into a YouTube playlist. 

Freelance artist by daylight, music lover also by daylight.

Posted : January 27, 2021 6:51 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

“Unfortunately we’re just gonna have to wait for this project...”

certainly nothing new there😮🙃

Kirk wasn’t mentioned but the project in this clip sounds like the same he referred to in an interview last summer about a Duane era docu in the works with “a lot of footage we’ve uncovered & tracked down”

Posted : January 27, 2021 7:31 pm
missuny1969
(@missuny1969)
Eminent Member

@billastro That's not the same as putting together a documentary. The Final Note probably took a year to put together since it's an album and all you have to worry about is clean up the audio and go through to process of distributing it and such. A documentary takes longer to do because you have to clean up the archival footage, interview folks, worry about funding and production, and then distribution. 

Peter Jackson's Beatles doc is coming out later then expected because of covid, so yes it's possible that that's causing some issues.

Posted : January 27, 2021 7:39 pm
missuny1969
(@missuny1969)
Eminent Member

@stephen I understand everyone's frustration, but unfortunately this is how film production works; it can't happen within a week. 

Posted : January 27, 2021 7:42 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Nor in decades, for ABB fans😮😉 - not complaining, I love the ABB

Posted : January 27, 2021 7:54 pm
missuny1969
(@missuny1969)
Eminent Member

@stephen I do too ❤️ I'm interested in seeing it nonetheless.

Posted : January 27, 2021 8:06 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Andyvannoy recently put up some Love Valley footage - Atlanta Pop snippets, incl a recently-surfaced DKMW, are out there - of course 9/23/70 Fillmore

newly-found footage in addition would be tops - there’s snippets on the PCHome DVD that suggest a lot of it 

Posted : January 27, 2021 8:06 pm
(@Anonymous)

@stephen 

Yeah you can find footage on my channel. Here's don't keep me wonderin'

Posted : January 27, 2021 9:05 pm
Rusty reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Duane's slide is green. 

I'm 74 and a hardcore fan since an old friend named Sandy played me the first album in early 1970 right before he was busted for drug possession and I went to see the band soon afterward.  When they opened with Statesboro Blues and Duane's slide guitar exploded off that stage it hit me hard and wrapped me up like someone stuck a needle in my arm and shot me up with mushrooms and I've been hooked ever since and don't want a cure. 

I've given up on any professionally released live footage of Duane playing Atlanta Pop Festival or any other place or a documentary on the band.

Even if I live another several years by the time it was released if it ever was, I'll be in a nursing home and probably won't even know what my name is much less who Duane Allman was. 

So I give up. 

Maybe you younger fans will get to see it someday.  Duane Allman IS the Allman Brothers Band.  The cornerstone.  I assure you the band wouldn't have gone anywhere without Duane. 

Posted : January 28, 2021 7:49 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

@missuny1969 Good points. When I'm impatient I get cranky. 

I want everything and I want it now! 😎 

Billastro

Posted : January 28, 2021 12:33 pm
missuny1969
(@missuny1969)
Eminent Member

@billastro Haha, I understand brother, I can be impatient too sometimes. I get that from my dad.

Posted : January 28, 2021 11:45 pm
Share: