The Beacon: 6 shows for the price of 5

29 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
16.4 K Views
dedlock
(@dedlock)
Topic starter

So, I think it would be nice to have the last 6 shows that the band played (I wasn't present at any of them) but wondered if this was really the best bang for my 2014 buck. Were all of the last Beacon shows wonderful or would anybody recommend some of the other 2014 non-Beacon shows in preference.

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

LD

Posted : November 7, 2014 3:20 am
larzv
(@larzv)
Estimable Member

i can't speak for the first 2 but i will say that my ears and eyes heard and saw things i have not heard or seen in years and years and derek was on another level. buy them, buy them all. you will not be disappointed.

Posted : November 7, 2014 6:03 am
RPMcMurphy
(@rpmcmurphy)
Trusted Member

For all of the talk that the 10/21 and 10/22 shows weren't up to snuff, I have to say, I think they were damn good shows. They weren't as good as the last 4, but still SOLID shows. Better than some past runs that I have attended. I say buy the whole pile.

Posted : November 7, 2014 10:07 am
kevinumberger
(@kevinumberger)
Estimable Member

if you dont get the last six, i would say it would depend upon how much money you'd spend for this years recordings.....

for me----if i had to pick 6 shows from this year to buy---

----the last show.........hands down easiest choice..
----3-21 and 3-22.........hot shows without gregg......
----10-24 and 10-25........two great shows that led to the last one......
----9-7...........the lockn show.........IMO, much stronger and tighter than mt jam or peachfest.....

if it were 8 shows----id get the two wanees......

Posted : November 7, 2014 10:39 am
erniemed
(@erniemed)

I would like to address this to JNB!
Hello Joe,
Thanks to you and the staff for all the great years of service at Hittin' The Note. Is there any possibility of a 2014 box set of all this year's Allman Bros. performances being produced as were past years. It would seem fitting since it was their final year as a group. Sure hope this is in the pipeline. My Wife and I have met you many times at various Allmans' shows, and once again thanks!
Sincerely,
Ernie

Posted : November 7, 2014 11:06 am
ABB-NYG
(@abb-nyg)
Eminent Member

It is not a mix and match offer. It is only for the final six:

Allman Brothers Band
Beacon Theatre Oct 2014
6 for the price of 5

Posted : November 7, 2014 11:53 am
kevinumberger
(@kevinumberger)
Estimable Member

the way i read it, was that the OP was asking for other show recommendations for this year..........

that way if the beacon 6 weren't bought, they could get some of the other "hot" shows from this year......

Posted : November 7, 2014 12:00 pm
ABB-NYG
(@abb-nyg)
Eminent Member

my bad, saw the 6 and best bang for a buck and thought he was referring to the 6 for 5 deal...

In that case, I would go for 3/7 (opening night), 3/15 (killer smokestack lightnin), Lockin (pure emotion - Farmer), Final 3 (just kept building to the "EPIC" final)

[Edited on 11/7/2014 by ABB-NYG]

Posted : November 7, 2014 12:06 pm
kevinumberger
(@kevinumberger)
Estimable Member

no worries....

but it is good to keep in mind that the special 6 for 5 only applies for the beacon run......

Posted : November 7, 2014 12:16 pm
kevinumberger
(@kevinumberger)
Estimable Member

i do think lockn was one of the stronger shows (that had gregg at it) of this year..........besides the final three though.......

for me---not only with the farmer aspect----and the fact i was front and center on the normal people rail----the show was really well played and spot on other than blue sky (and that's only one part of that song that had a slip up)..........

for me----lockn was much better than either of the two peachfest shows.......

Posted : November 7, 2014 12:18 pm
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member

I have every show this year. I would rank the top 5 as follows.

1. 10-28 (Best show this version of the band ever played in my opinion.)
2. 10-24
3. 10-25
4. 9-7
5. 3-18

Posted : November 8, 2014 9:00 am
ABB-NYG
(@abb-nyg)
Eminent Member

Kevin, LOL, the post topic is The Beacon: 6 shows for the price of 5, so he was under the impression you could mix and match...

Posted : November 8, 2014 11:57 am
glenn
(@glenn)
Eminent Member

I have been seeing the Brothers for a long time, probably 100+ shows just at the Beacon. The last 4 shows were just pure fire. Putting the 28th in it's own category , i thought the 27th and 24th were incredible. And the 25th too.

heres my take on the last 6 Beacon shows. Was at all of them

1. Oct 28th
2. Oct 27th
3. Oct 24th
4. Oct 25th
5. Oct 21st
6. Oct 22nd

They are all worth getting without hesitation.

[Edited on 11/9/2014 by glenn]

[Edited on 11/9/2014 by glenn]

Posted : November 8, 2014 4:06 pm
bump827
(@bump827)
Estimable Member

Excuse my ignorance but why don't you just sign up for the vine? The work Joe Beacon does is virtually the same sound wise as what they sell for $25 a show.

Posted : November 9, 2014 1:11 pm
fanfrom-71
(@fanfrom-71)
Noble Member

Excuse my ignorance but why don't you just sign up for the vine? The work Joe Beacon does is virtually the same sound wise as what they sell for $25 a show.

😮
Not to these ears! The flac hd is stupendous.

Posted : November 9, 2014 3:23 pm
bump827
(@bump827)
Estimable Member

😮
Not to these ears! The flac hd is stupendous.

That's what I've heard. I'm about to get a copy of the DVD vine and can attest for myself. I have the first set of the original 10 shows and they sound fine.

Posted : November 10, 2014 12:27 am
kevinumberger
(@kevinumberger)
Estimable Member

Kevin, LOL, the post topic is The Beacon: 6 shows for the price of 5, so he was under the impression you could mix and match...

yeah.....but in the actual post----i kinda read it as saying if the beacon shows werent all good, then what other shows from this past year could he buy with same amount of money spent......

Posted : November 10, 2014 11:13 am
gypsystarr
(@gypsystarr)

I did buy 6 for 5 deal, from what I've heard all the shows were good, I was at the 10/27 and it was an outstanding show.

Posted : November 16, 2014 2:20 pm
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member

i -the show was really well played and spot on other than blue sky (and that's only one part of that song that had a slip up)..........

There was also a major flub during YDLM. Gregg sang right through a solo. The improv was spot on though.

Posted : November 17, 2014 11:26 pm
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member

I did buy 6 for 5 deal, from what I've heard all the shows were good, I was at the 10/27 and it was an outstanding show.

All 6 of those shows are great. The 10-28 show was legendary.

Posted : November 17, 2014 11:29 pm
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

I wonder when these will be shipping out?

Posted : November 18, 2014 7:23 pm
Joe5986
(@joe5986)

Just a logistical question- is the '6 shows for the price of 5' considered a box set? I think i've seen past beacon runs be offered as a box set and am just wondering what that entails.

Posted : November 19, 2014 5:02 am
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

The 40th anniversary run came in a wooden box with Beacon artwork on it and a bonus disc of the previous year's Christmas Jam ABB set only available with the box.

I don't think this set has anything like that, it's just the CD's.

Posted : November 19, 2014 8:46 am
tbomike
(@tbomike)
Noble Member

I ordered as soon as it popped up but seeing even the individual shows still show as a pre order I know that they would not be shipping yet.

Posted : November 19, 2014 9:12 am
ABB-NYG
(@abb-nyg)
Eminent Member

Deposit for the 2014 box set is now in the merch section
http://www.hittinthenote.com/cart/p-1727-allman-brothers-bandbr2014-complete-setbrdeposit.aspx

Posted : November 23, 2014 8:57 am
JNB
 JNB
(@jnb)
Eminent Member

Hi erniemed - sorry I missed ur post! Been very busy since before the Beacon. Thanks for posting the link ABB-NYG.
We will start shipping the 5 for 6 and the 6 for 6 next week. All individual shows from Oct starting shipping this week!

JNB

Posted : November 28, 2014 12:21 pm
MikeZlotnicki
(@mikezlotnicki)
Eminent Member

My copy of October 28th arrived today ! The hub teeth on disc 3 were all smashed, so the CDR was flopping around loose...hopefully it'll still play alright.
Diggin' disc 1 right now, sounds great.

Posted : November 28, 2014 12:41 pm
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

The hub teeth being broken on these cases is a common issue. I've ordered several of the shows over the years and many of the orders seem to have had this issue.

The good thing is that HTN has been great about sending me replacement empty cases when this has happened.

Hopefully when mine come next week there won't be any broken cases.

Posted : November 28, 2014 2:56 pm
MikeZlotnicki
(@mikezlotnicki)
Eminent Member

The hub teeth being broken on these cases is a common issue. I've ordered several of the shows over the years and many of the orders seem to have had this issue.

The good thing is that HTN has been great about sending me replacement empty cases when this has happened.

My first issue since I had missing screws on the 40th Anniversary black box, so I forgot ! Thanks for the reminder, e mail has been sent to Vicky's crew.

Posted : November 28, 2014 5:33 pm
Share: