0 Likes
13.3 K Views
Breck
(@breck)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Greetings,

What a great sound!

I down loaded the FLAC HD; decoded to WAV file and imported into I tunes. Sounds awesome. 1. Am I missing some quality? WAV is lossless.
2. The HD is still just stereo (Left and Right) it is NOT the 5.1 surround sound is it?

Thank you,

Posted : October 30, 2014 6:09 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

you are correct. wav is lossless. you are not losing quality.

If you have a mac, you can convert to ALAC which is lossless compression - same sound, less memory

you are also correct in that HD is not 5.1

btw congrats on getting through to the server for download. It must be overloaded - I can't even get in to buy it.
This is almost as bad as trying to buy tix from TM

[Edited on 10/31/2014 by stormyrider]

Posted : October 30, 2014 6:20 pm
Forever_Duane
(@forever_duane)
Estimable Member

you are correct. wav is lossless. you are not losing quality.

If you have a mac, you can convert to ALAC which is lossless compression - same sound, less memory

you are also correct in that HD is not 5.1

btw congrats on getting through to the server for download. It must be overloaded - I can't even get in to buy it.
This is almost as bad as trying to buy tix from TM

[Edited on 10/31/2014 by stormyrider]

I had the same problems. It let me in but the download was slow. I listened to the first set and had to take a break it was so intense. Cried a couple times. Derek on "High Cost Of Low Living" was as good as I have ever heard him. It is a moving experience.

Posted : October 30, 2014 7:37 pm
donkeyrocker
(@donkeyrocker)

I pre-ordered the discs, but now I need to know where are you guys getting the FLAC HD downloads?? I feel dumb for jumping the gun..... What an emotional show, I too plan to sit and just "listen" to everything. I have told many friends that most of the shows on disc lack some sort of "crispness" but just hearing 10/28 on Sirius briefly, you can tell THEY WERE ON FIRE, and it sounded AWESOME!!!!!

The road goes on forever.......

Posted : October 31, 2014 11:37 am
donkeyrocker
(@donkeyrocker)

Nevermind...... I found it (ABBLiveHD.com)

[Edited on 10/31/2014 by donkeyrocker]

Posted : October 31, 2014 11:59 am
uconnjhd
(@uconnjhd)

I pre-ordered the discs, but now I need to know where are you guys getting the FLAC HD downloads?? I feel dumb for jumping the gun..... What an emotional show, I too plan to sit and just "listen" to everything. I have told many friends that most of the shows on disc lack some sort of "crispness" but just hearing 10/28 on Sirius briefly, you can tell THEY WERE ON FIRE, and it sounded AWESOME!!!!!

where can you buy a CD of 10/28?

Posted : November 2, 2014 6:10 am
CB
 CB
(@cb)
Estimable Member

ABBLive.com for FLAC or mp3 downloads.

Posted : November 2, 2014 8:35 am
samadams757
(@samadams757)
Trusted Member

where can you buy a CD of 10/28?

CDs also available at http://www.hittinthenote.com/cart/c-174-2014.aspx

Or also at http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=137409#pid3117905

Posted : November 6, 2014 4:37 am
samadams757
(@samadams757)
Trusted Member

I read in a post that the non HD downloads were very compressed; are the HD downloads worth it? What will be the best sound quality, FLAC, FLAC HD or CD?

Posted : November 6, 2014 4:38 am
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

The d/l from munckmusic gave choices only for mp3 and flac
I think all the FLAC is HD.
I bought 10/28 FLAC and the sound is excellent.
A friend has the mp3 of a different night and it is not as good - not sure if it's the night or the format
I would spring for the extra few and get flac.

[Edited on 11/7/2014 by stormyrider]

Posted : November 6, 2014 1:44 pm
mulejammin
(@mulejammin)

As a taper, I can say that I would never buy the mp3. The compression used to create it really has an effect on sound quality. For the difference in price I would always get the FLAC (lossless) and then if you want to use an mp3 for space reasons to drop on an mp3 player etc...just convert it, and save those FLACs and burn them to cd to keep as a backup. When you do your own conversion to MP3, you can choose a higher quality one like VBR, then what the Instant live is going to use....

I was at the 10/28 show but didn't tape due to the location of my seats. I ordered the CD's from Hitting the Note, and put my name on the vine list for the show. Sometimes ( of course I am biased as a taper) I prefer the audience recording, gives you the " I feel like I am there experience". Not to mention Joebeacons recordings always smoke!!!

Just my 2 cents...

Posted : November 7, 2014 4:12 am
shermo
(@shermo)

Not an audio coding format expert, as my post will support.

So are the Hittin the Note cd's any better quality than the Instant Live CDs? I picked up an Instant Live from a few years back and the quality was not that good.

And then are the FLAC downloads much better quality than HTN CDs? I don't have any fancy expert equipment to play the FLAC as the website denotes (is that really needed? or can I play FLAC directly on pc via itunes or mediamonkey or stream or copy to droid?) so I guess I need to convert to wav or some other compressionless format and burn to cd, so that's the format I would be interested in hearing how it compares to the HTN CD. Hope that's not too confusing!

Posted : December 9, 2014 1:01 pm
Share: