29th Xmas Jam Happening Now

4 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
BillyBlastoff
(@billyblastoff)
Famed Member
Topic starter

It being a snowy and wet day I decided to pony up the donation for Habitat and buy the Xmas Jam Stream.

Wow.

So far it has been great. A standout acoustic "Melissa" with Jake Shimabukuro and Warren. Holly Bowling on grand piano to begin the show with "Dark Star" into "St. Stephen" into Cassidy. Right now she and Jake are playing an unusual "Other One" out of "Bird Song."

Great talent with so much more to come. Big ABB set expected with Warren, Jack Pearson, Jaimoe, Mark, Bruce Katz, Lamar Jr. and more. Bruce Hornsby is in town and I expect he will be playing sometime during the night.

Right now Jake and Holly just went into Cohen's, "Hallelujah."

Gorgeous.

Posted : December 9, 2017 4:18 pm
BillyBlastoff
(@billyblastoff)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Blackberry Smoke just put on a rousing performance.

A lot of their show made me feel good but, I do feel their music is derivative.

I've seen them open twice for the Mule and once at Lockn'. Tonight's and Lockn' performances show a far more polished band than the band that opened for Gov't Mule.

Posted : December 9, 2017 5:01 pm
BillyBlastoff
(@billyblastoff)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Avett Brothers are a wholly appropriate choice for the Christmas Jam. Their luxuriant brand of bluegrass is perfect for that setting.

They finished the set and were walking off when Warren called them to an adjacent stage where they played Merl Haggard's "If We Make it Through December," and Bob Dylan's "You Ain't Going Nowhere."

Now Ann Wilson and Warren are about to play some acoustic music.

Posted : December 9, 2017 5:53 pm
BillyBlastoff
(@billyblastoff)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Wow. Tom Petty's "Southern Accents," and Audioslave's "I Am the Highway" with Jake joining Ann and Warren for "I Am the Highway."

Pretty special stuff there.

Ann mentioned that Warren's mother is at the show, hence the choice of 'Southern Accents."

Posted : December 9, 2017 6:07 pm
Share: