Your favorite childhood summer treat

26 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

While we are gathered here, in social isolation of one form or another, what treat did you get in the summertime that was your favorite?
Mine was hand churned ice cream with the fruits and berries mixed in while churning it.
Strawberry, Blueberry, Peach, Blackberry, Cherry, didn't matter it was all good.

Posted : August 2, 2020 12:45 pm
piacere
(@piacere)
Prominent Member

Del's frozen lemonade.

A RI tradition.

Still love it to this day.

Posted : August 2, 2020 2:55 pm
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
Famed Member

Being given cash money by my Father when the Ice Cream truck rolled down our block.

Posted : August 2, 2020 3:35 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Let's see. Ten scoops of Tillamook vanilla, 1 cup of milk, a pint of blueberries, and a blender. What do ya get?
2 glasses full, refills, an empty blender, and a nap.

Posted : August 2, 2020 4:39 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Being given cash money by my Father when the Ice Cream truck rolled down our block.

I don't know what it is about the music they play, but it draws kids from a mile away.

Posted : August 2, 2020 4:41 pm
gotdrumz
(@gotdrumz)
Reputable Member

A handful of Bennies and a doobie of Maui Wowie 😛

Actually my Maimeo's Bairin Breac, nobody made it better!
It was usually a Halloween or New Years thing, but she always made it for me when I visited during summer vacation.

Posted : August 2, 2020 5:03 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

It was usually a Halloween or New Years thing, but she always made it for me when I visited during summer vacation.

Gotta ask, what is it?

Posted : August 2, 2020 5:17 pm
BrerRabbit
(@brerrabbit)
Illustrious Member

^ haHAHa maui wowie. And alright Jerry supporting Oregon with the Tillammok! Cant top your guys stuff, do recall a fondness for root beer floats. I dont even know what that Gaelic sounding thing is gotdrums mentioned, am sure its mighty good tho if its better than bennies.

Posted : August 2, 2020 5:19 pm
gotdrumz
(@gotdrumz)
Reputable Member

Gotta ask, what is it?

A raisin bread, The Gaelic name translates speckled loaf.

Posted : August 2, 2020 6:40 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Gotta ask, what is it?

A raisin bread, The Gaelic name translates speckled loaf.

Should have know that being Scott/Welsh. Does she make it with the 5 surprise items?

Posted : August 3, 2020 6:47 pm
gotdrumz
(@gotdrumz)
Reputable Member

Does she make it with the 5 surprise items?

She had told us "clann clainne" the folklore of putting items inside during "Oiche Shamhna" . Clodagh, my grandmother was very thorough teaching us the Gaelic language, culture, and traditions.

Posted : August 5, 2020 9:22 am
Brendan
(@brendan)
Reputable Member

Fresh squeezed lemonade at the Delaware State Fair. Giant cup filled with ice and made with sugar crystals you could crunch up when you got to the bottom. Always so refreshing because it felt like it was always at least 102 degrees on the midway.

Posted : August 5, 2020 11:46 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Does she make it with the 5 surprise items?

She had told us "clann clainne" the folklore of putting items inside during "Oiche Shamhna" . Clodagh, my grandmother was very thorough teaching us the Gaelic language, culture, and traditions.

Did you ever get the ring when you were a kid?

Posted : August 5, 2020 1:16 pm
gotdrumz
(@gotdrumz)
Reputable Member

Nope, if memory serves me correct the items had to do with marriage, good/bad fortune and religious stuff. The only times I've gotten rings was on trips to Ire and I bought a great from a street vendor or bakery shop.

Posted : August 5, 2020 3:04 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Nope, if memory serves me correct the items had to do with marriage, good/bad fortune and religious stuff. The only times I've gotten rings was on trips to Ire and I bought a great from a street vendor or bakery shop.

The pea meant you wouldn't get married that year, the stick meant you would have a unhappy marriage, the cloth meant poverty, the coin was for riches, and the ring meant you were the next to get married.
All in jest, of course.

Thinking of that I remembered the episode of the Little Rascals where they made a "surprise cake" to make money. One surprise was a half bar of Lye soap.

Posted : August 5, 2020 3:44 pm
gotdrumz
(@gotdrumz)
Reputable Member

The pea meant you wouldn't get married that year, the stick meant you would have a unhappy marriage, the cloth meant poverty, the coin was for riches, and the ring meant you were the next to get married.
All in jest, of course.

Over time it became a fun game, there are roots in old pagan beliefs, values, and ritual.
I just think it is yummy stuff!

Posted : August 5, 2020 6:39 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Del's frozen lemonade.

A RI tradition.

Still love it to this day.

I lived in Providence for 3 years in my 20s- got hooked on that stuff

For me, soft serve vanilla ice cream, either from Mr Softee (truck) or Carvel. The last day of school in 4th grade I was chancing Mr Softee on my bike, went out of control, fell and broke 2 teeth.

Posted : August 6, 2020 2:08 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

All in jest, of course.

Over time it became a fun game, there are roots in old pagan beliefs, values, and ritual.
I just think it is yummy stuff!

Just think how hard it was to get raisins in Ireland until a couple hundred years ago.

PS: Check your PMs.

Posted : August 6, 2020 8:45 am
gotdrumz
(@gotdrumz)
Reputable Member

Just think how hard it was to get raisins in Ireland until a couple hundred years ago.

My referring to Pagan tradition(s) was more to do with peas, stick, cloth, coins, and all that being rune like facsimiles for fortune telling, not the ingredients of bread. Maybe I misunderstand? Be something interesting to research though, when did grapes first come to the Isle and by whom?

Posted : August 6, 2020 4:26 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

My referring to Pagan tradition(s) was more to do with peas, stick, cloth, coins, and all that being rune like facsimiles for fortune telling, not the ingredients of bread. Maybe I misunderstand? Be something interesting to research though, when did grapes first come to the Isle and by whom?

nah, you're good. just listing the old tradition, but I don't think I'd like to bite into the bread and get a stick or cloth.

Been trying to find when raisins came to Ireland since it sure doesn't have the climate to produce raisins.
Every time I search with key words Ireland and raisins, I get recipes for Irish raisin Bread, or Irish Raisin soda Bread.

Posted : August 7, 2020 2:21 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Anybody remember banana or pineapple sandwiches?

Posted : August 7, 2020 2:22 pm
piacere
(@piacere)
Prominent Member

Looks like the ol' boy went down into the rabbit hole and that's it.
Damn shame if ya ask me, this place is as dry as toast. The guy was the spice; funniest, best sense of humor, wordsmith extraordinaire.

I'm good for a PB and nanner samwidge every now and then but pineapple, negative.

Posted : August 9, 2020 5:22 pm
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Looks like the ol' boy went down into the rabbit hole and that's it.
Damn shame if ya ask me, this place is as dry as toast. The guy was the spice; funniest, best sense of humor, wordsmith extraordinaire.

I'm good for a PB and nanner samwidge every now and then but pineapple, negative.

He's still listed as a member, and most of his posts are still up. Might be taking a little vacation, either he or his son got back a positive test, never know.
We'll just have to wait a while and see.

Pineapple sandwiches were basically two pieces of bread, mayonnaise, and a layer of crushed pineapple. Really good after a hot mid-GA summer afternoon.

Did anybody ever get a bowl of sliced cucumbers in cold vinegar and salt? Cleans the dust out of your throat.

Posted : August 12, 2020 6:20 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Going to pick Muscadines at the back fence today. Sorry that this year the neighborhood kids can't have their seed spitting contests.

Posted : August 16, 2020 8:16 am
Jerry
(@jerry)
Noble Member
Topic starter

OK, why is this in the playpen?

Posted : February 11, 2021 11:17 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Staying up late and sleeping in late.  That was better than any food type treat I ever had.

Posted : February 14, 2021 12:45 am
Share: