3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
BrerRabbit
(@brerrabbit)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Exported from Whipping Post

Figured maybe someone in Playpen might think this is momentous and historic.

So classic, Neil Gorsuch swung the ruling, and he is a Trump appointee, you know this is giving Trump some serious heartburn. So excellent how his appointees have been smackin him down.

. . . Proud to be an Okie from Muskogee!

Bravo! This is WAY bigger than any raggedy ol Columbus statue.

Great news - it is always a cause for celebration when America gets it right. Today Oklahoma, tomorrow the Black Hills.

https://www.breitbart.com/news/supreme-court-rules-swath-of-east-oklahoma-is-reservation-land/

"Today we are asked whether the land these treaties promised remains an Indian reservation for purposes of federal criminal law. Because Congress has not said otherwise, we hold the government to its word,” Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote in the majority opinion.

[Edited on 7/10/2020 by BrerRabbit]

Posted : July 10, 2020 8:58 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

Correct & great ruling!!!!

Saw this yesterday BUT, cynic that I am, I'm not doing a full on celebration because this is for purposes of "federal criminal law." Very clear limit there. Liked the reasoning that the US had a history of broken promises & treaties.

Posted : July 10, 2020 11:01 am
BrerRabbit
(@brerrabbit)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Of course "Indian Land" means Fed land, but still a great symbolic gesture.

Interesting, while surfing this I chanced across the "State of Sequoyah", a 1905 proposal by the Five Tribes, in the same are as this ruling. Rejected by Congress, became part of Oklahoma in 1907.

https://wikivisually.com/wiki/State_of_Sequoyah#:~:text=The%20State%20of%20Sequoyah%20was%20a%20proposed%20state,intention%20was%20to%20have%20a%20state%20under%20governance.

Posted : July 10, 2020 12:55 pm
Share: