The Allman Brothers Band
MLB: Tampa Bay Rays...

Notifications
Clear all

MLB: Tampa Bay Rays Still in First Place!

1,910 Posts
31 Users
98 Likes
158.6 K Views
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I doubt it. It is Patrick Wisdom. Plus Wrigley doesn't open that much time before a game. And the weather is going to be crummy. I don't care. The sooner we get into the stadium the more money you are going to spend. I don't think I will be able to but if I can snag an extra one I will send it to you. People hoard those things like they are gold.

Patrick Wisdom?

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : May 20, 2022 7:07 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

coot - Speaking of bobble heads, do you recall which one (or how many) Lansing Lugnuts ones I sent your way? The mention of them got me to look at the ones I have and I think I sent you most but I know there are a couple that I didn't get two of. Carlos Beltran I am almost positive you didn't get. This was when they were a Royals affiliate. I only went to one game that year and then the Cubs took over.

No big deal, just curious.

Oh, another bobble head thing that is funny. My buddy went to a Cubs game a few weeks ago and it was David Ross bobble head day. It was dated: 2020. It was supposed to be in that year and the team kept them and used it as a promotion this year. Anything to make a buck I guess. 😀 

Posted : May 21, 2022 8:11 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Posted by: @lee

coot - Speaking of bobble heads, do you recall which one (or how many) Lansing Lugnuts ones I sent your way? The mention of them got me to look at the ones I have and I think I sent you most but I know there are a couple that I didn't get two of. Carlos Beltran I am almost positive you didn't get. This was when they were a Royals affiliate. I only went to one game that year and then the Cubs took over.

No big deal, just curious.

Oh, another bobble head thing that is funny. My buddy went to a Cubs game a few weeks ago and it was David Ross bobble head day. It was dated: 2020. It was supposed to be in that year and the team kept them and used it as a promotion this year. Anything to make a buck I guess. 😀 

Seems like it was (the immortal, love the name) Buck Coats, Felix Pie, Andrew Sisco, Mark Prior and a Carlos Zambrano. Something like that. Some were in the Royals system, some the Cubs.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : May 22, 2022 11:55 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

MLB slaps Pham with a three game suspension.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : May 28, 2022 4:35 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Jesus, NY fans are stoked nowadays - Mets & Yankees, the 2 best records so far - & Rangiz too - they did what we couldn't do - they beat Carolina in Carolina 7th game - all those teams, Broonz, Leafs, Carolina, Tampa, Fla, Pitts, are so even

but Severino is back after 2+ years, & Mets are thriving w/out deGrom

Everyone, not just sports fans, should be really concerned with basketball player Britney Griner's situation - detained against her will in Russia - she's obviously being used as an example - other Americans and journalists have also been, & still are, wrongfully jailed in Russia

Sox haven't cleared .500 yet, but once we do, we'll be rolling

the Guars? who knows - that's what the formerly offended>now enlightened, are calling them for short

guar-In-dians - why not that - or Cle-vindians

but whoa - Noah is back, one of many who's missed the last 2+ years - with Shohei & Trout you'd think they'd be incredible - but no - can't buy wins - let's go Sawx

This post was modified 2 years ago by Stephen

Posted : June 4, 2022 2:23 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Too bad about Joe Maddon. I had a feeling this was going to happen.

Posted : June 7, 2022 6:39 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Stephen -

If the season ended today, the Red Sux would be the last team to get into the playoffs. They are on a roll. 😀 

Posted : June 8, 2022 10:07 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Finally we've cleared .500 Lee! 😧😳 - yep we're wheelin & dealin' haha - did my heart good to see Wacha take the ball for the last two innings of his 1-0 complete game the other night - he wanted the win, wasn't wincing watching his pitch count & wasn't going to let the bullpen screw it up

But wait a minute

He returns tmrw - Stephen, the world's greatest P

like many P's, has missed the last 2+ years

now his manager is saying "there are no limitations on Stephen" 

Yeah right! as if we'll see 7IP or complete games from Stephen anytime soon

Tygiz are struggling, but holy **** - Miguel Cabrera, top 10 in hitting in AL at .300 - haven't looked up Puljos' #s

as always - whether on the diamond or sheet, we gotta catch Tor & TB - let's go Sox

Posted : June 8, 2022 11:07 am
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Man what happened to the Cubbies? It's not like they are a small market team that can't draw fans and afford to pay players.

Yankees were the the Bronx Bombers this weekend. 44-16 a third of the way through the season. If they can stay healthy could be their year.

Posted : June 12, 2022 5:21 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

Man what happened to the Cubbies? It's not like they are a small market team that can't draw fans and afford to pay players.

They are on their new 108 year re-building plan .... Laugh  

Posted : June 12, 2022 7:45 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Nope, some of em have come back well from their 2 year injury layoff - Justin Verlander, damn, are you kidding - at 39, well on his way to his third 20 game season (he's 8-2, 1.94) - Severino has pitched well for NY -- yes it's looking like their year alright - no word yet on Chris

Mets too - Atl & Phil have been burning the league down but are still far back

Sox gotta take advantage of A's visit, they're down this year - 6 games up on .500 by the end of the week is where we wanna be 

look at the batting leadiz, then yaknow why I always say, Let's Go Sawx, we got this boys, 

gotta add about the hockey finals too, what can you say about TB, they're on track for a threepeat, they knocked out league-champion Panthers of Fla 

now it's Colo, who led much of season finishing second to FlaP - Denver experienced record heat on Saturday, but TB I think will ice them - another Way-cool finals matchup - major points differential, but TB owns the 4-of-7 format

still mad at Broonz for firing Cassidy, Shame On Them!! emoji, "pissed"

This post was modified 2 years ago 3 times by Stephen

Posted : June 13, 2022 11:01 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@bill_graham 

That's an easy one Bill. They got rid of several key players. Apparently they are experiencing financial issues which is ridiculous. They charge the same for tickets, raise the cost of concessions every year, etc. Hell they basically own Wrigleyville. 

They do have some fun youngsters to watch. But they are nowhere near competing for even a division title so there is no sense spending money on players just yet. Last year I think I went to nine or ten games there. I paid for one. People have been on the ticket waiting list for years and now their phone is ringing because a lot of people are not renewing their tickets. These season ticket holders are stuck because if they don't renew one year and want them in the future they are moved to the end of the line. The Cubs know people will continue to pay because hey, they are the Cubs and going to a game there is a great experience. I have been a Cubs fan since the 80s (wow!) and will always support them but I do wonder if people stop giving the Cubs their money.

I kind of doubt it.

Posted : June 13, 2022 11:03 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @sang

Except they won The World Series six years ago.

Posted : June 13, 2022 11:04 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @lee

Except they won The World Series six years ago.

Right - only 102 years to go ....  Smile  

Posted : June 13, 2022 12:08 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@sang 

Just curious.  Which makes you happier, the White Sux win or the Flubs lose? Seriously.

And you can't say "both"! 😉 

I mean, haters gonna be haters, right?

Posted : June 13, 2022 1:24 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

Actually, the Cardinals being in first place makes me happier - the Cubs losing is just a bonus ... 

My brother is a Cubs fan, and he texts me every time the Cubs win or the Cardinals lose.  It is very annoying, but luckily hasn't happened that much this year - the last few years were brutal though ... 

I started liking the Sox when I moved up to the Chicago area - had 20 game weekend tickets the year they hosted the All Star game so that I could go to the All Star game - and got a bonus when they made the playoffs and got tickets for that too - although it didn't last long.  Too bad they have had so many injuries - thought they were going to be exciting this year ...

Posted : June 13, 2022 1:45 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@lee 

Yeah I know they got rid of key players like Rizzo (love him as a Yankee), Baez, Schwarber, Bryant etc. I was just curious why they tore the team down as they seem to have a good revenue flow, are in a major market and it is not like the owners are paupers.

Cubby fans are some of the most loyal in baseball, along with the Red Sox, and support the team through good and bad so can't see them giving up their tix during the rebuild. The Cubbies got some good prospects in the tear down trades but most are down in the Class A leagues so it will take several years before they reap the benefits.

Have to say I was not upset when the Cubbies designated Clint Frazier for assignment right before the Yankee series after he bashed them to the press. Karma is a bitch.

He has talent but just can't stay healthy, just keep his mouth shut and just play baseball. 

The guy must be a pain in the arse for a team like the Cubbies needing talent to basically release him. He is talented if he can grow up and just concentrate on playing baseball I think he could have some success. Maybe a team like the Tiggers will give him a chance as they are the lowest scoring team in baseball by a lot.

This post was modified 2 years ago 3 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : June 13, 2022 2:24 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@lee 

Maybe a team like the Tiggers will give him a chance as they are the lowest scoring team in baseball by a lot.

Don't remind me. I saw this thing on The MLB Network. If the Tiggers scored three, four or more, they would have a winning record. That's it. They can't even score three. And they are supposedly in the stages of turning the corner to be competitive.

Posted : June 13, 2022 2:45 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@lee The Tiggers have a top 10 rated minor league farm system while the Cubbies are about middle of the pack.

If they can sign a few reasonably priced bats in the offseason the Tiggers may not be far off from competing. Considering the whole starting rotation was on the disabled list at some point this season it is tough to win if you can't hold the competition to a low score and score runs.

Posted : June 13, 2022 3:28 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

@lee ... This was my perfect baseball day - Cards come back from down 5-0 to win, Sox win, and Cubbies lose ... Smile  

Posted : June 14, 2022 12:42 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Actually, the Cardinals being in first place makes me happier - the Cubs losing is just a bonus ... 

My brother is a Cubs fan, and he texts me every time the Cubs win or the Cardinals lose.  It is very annoying, but luckily hasn't happened that much this year - the last few years were brutal though ... 

I started liking the Sox when I moved up to the Chicago area - had 20 game weekend tickets the year they hosted the All Star game so that I could go to the All Star game - and got a bonus when they made the playoffs and got tickets for that too - although it didn't last long.  Too bad they have had so many injuries - thought they were going to be exciting this year ...

I forgot Dave was a big Cubs fan. I wish I had thought of you because I had good seats to the first game of the doubleheader on Satuday June 4th that I couldn't use. I thought of everyone (or so I thought) to offer them to.

Good game. Flubs beat the Deadbirds.

Posted : June 15, 2022 2:03 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Brewers hit 2 HRs off of TB's ceiling today. Always fun to see a dinger hit the roof and land in the outfield. I hate that stadium.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 29, 2022 4:58 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I was there once, two years ago, and the only redeeming quality as I recall was trying to pet one of the fish in centerfield. Isn't it located quite a ways away from pretty much everything? Too bad nobody goes there.

Posted : June 30, 2022 2:10 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Neither Florida team could ever draw fans. Too many other activities with the beach and nice weather to distract potential fans I think.

This year Tampa is # 27 in attendance (14K a game) and Miami is #29 (11.5K a game).  

I could see one or both teams relocating at some point in the future. Even with Miami getting a new stadium in 2012 they just can't draw local support.

Interesting for me, as a Yankee Fan, when I checked road attendance the bottom three teams in home attendance, Pittsburgh, Miami and Oakland, have all out drawn the Yankees on the road so far this season.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Bill_Graham

Posted : June 30, 2022 2:55 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Interesting. I can see Pitt & Oakland because they stink. But Miami isn't really horrible.

And did you see what Manfred is proposing, expansion? Where? The moon?

And robot umps. I swear if that ever happens I will never watch a game.

Rob Manfred says he wants robot umps in MLB by 2024, hints at expansion to 32 teams (yahoo.com)

Posted : June 30, 2022 4:04 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

@bill_graham 

With so many players coming out of FL, you would think pro baseball would be a draw. NFL and even the NHL have figured it out, and even the Heat draw crowds. But the Marlins, aside from their two(!) WS, have otherwise been pretty bad. Rays have been successful, but Tampa was a Yankees town which is also full of midwestern retirees. People go to see the opposing teams.

Putting one team in FL made sense, but definitely not two. MLB got ahead of itself in the 1990s. Miami is a bigger market and further away from the Braves, who were the team of the entire southeast since the 1960s. But baseball season in FL is February and Mrch, people would rather be on their boat or at a tiki bar on a July evening.

Also, Marlins stadium is in dumb spot - right smack in the middle of a neighborhood. Rays stadium is in a nice spot in St Pete, but it's such a piece of crap. It's like watching a game in a circus tent. It's a joke.

Rays will be somewhere else by the end of the decade, maybe Nashville or Charlotte. New Orleans would be cool. Somewhere where they can build a fan base that isn't already well-established, and on the east coast so they don't have to realign the divisions again. Part of the reason the O's attendance is down (other than they've sucked) is the Nationals came to town right down the road (literally 35 miles apart) and have been good. If you're a fan in that metro area, are you going to Baltimore or DC? (even though Camden Yards itself is a really nice park)

I feel bad for Pittsburgh fans. They have the history, they have a nice park, but ownership isn't even trying. Their payroll is $34M. Only Cleveland, Baltimore, and Oakland are lower. Pretty sure the Pirates haven't even made the postseason since 1992, even with expanded playoffs and more divisions over that period. I wouldn't go either.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 30, 2022 5:52 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

@lee The Tiggers have a top 10 rated minor league farm system while the Cubbies are about middle of the pack.

If they can sign a few reasonably priced bats in the offseason the Tiggers may not be far off from competing. Considering the whole starting rotation was on the disabled list at some point this season it is tough to win if you can't hold the competition to a low score and score runs.

They're W4 & if they maintain this weekend they'll cut into ChiSox lead - Miggy, wow, who'da thunk it

They're playing well - Sox gotta play well starting tonight - NY has the gaudy record, they're off the charts obviously - but we can't afford any lengthy slipups - especially to AL East teams - 

most important, Sox have to win this series - TB beat us, now it's NY & we see them after the AS break as well, also Tor & TB again - let's go Sox, let's show NY who's boss at Fenway Park

This post was modified 2 years ago by Stephen

Posted : July 7, 2022 11:39 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

It's not just Albert Puljos finishing back where it all began

Zach Grienke, 38 - back in KC, where he compiled a 14-28 record his first 3 seasons before lighting up batters regularly - neither player is doing much this season, and weren't expected to

E-Rod didn't pan out for Tygiz - Casey Mize, the top overall MLB draft pick for Det a few years ago, is also not pitching -

so it just leaves Chris, Stephen and Jacob deGrom - Chris is set to return Tuesday, apparently - my gosh these fellas are fragile tho - Chris has had a stress fracture of the ribcage for the last 2-3 years it seems - 

with Walker Buhler out, why isn't LAD using David Price more - he's pitched sparingly this year - at $27M per

so what - we need 3 this weekend, LET'S GO SOX

Posted : July 8, 2022 5:31 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Yeesh, they're W8 & poised to add to it going into the AS break w/interleague visits to lower-tier NL teams

Balt is looking less and less like a flash in the pan - there's a lot of excitement about the O's, they're winning w/players from their system, it's good to see, esp having lost 100+ games 3 of the last 4 seasons - their fans are once again enlivening venerable (yep) Camden Yards

but they've made it a 4 way cluster in the AL East - we gotta turn around our in-division record, & fast - 3 more w/TB, then Bronx this wknd - then Tor after AS break - 

but same Seattle, they're W8 too going into Wash - Cubs struggling but a treat nonetheless for Wrigley fans, who knows when O's last visited

Let's go Sox, we're 10 over .500 at the break - Chris will debut with 4-5 good innings tonite

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : July 12, 2022 11:03 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The Red Sux are on pace to win about 87 games and get in. Given their start, that is pretty good. I like their lineup, not sure about the rotation. I like Tampa but losing Franco for two months will hurt.

Go Tigers! 😛 

Posted : July 12, 2022 3:58 pm
Page 56 / 64
Share: