12 Users
0 Likes
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Anybody like watching the games?

Some of the sports do nothing for me but others do. I'm glad it is basically amateurs if I understand it now. No NHL players for example.

Watching women's hockey right now. Switzerland and Korea on an early Saturday morning. Not something you do all the time. Smile

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : February 10, 2018 3:44 am
PhotoRon286
(@photoron286)
Noble Member

Anybody like watching the games?

Some of the sports do nothing for me but others do. I'm glad it is basically amateurs if I understand it now. No NHL players for example.

Watching women's hockey right now. Switzerland and Korea on an early Saturday morning. Not something you do all the time. Smile

Just no current NHL players.

Quite a few of the US skaters have pro experience and you have a bunch from the European pro leagues, especially russia's KHL.

As a result the US probably won't medal.

I'd rather see our best on the ice.

Posted : February 10, 2018 4:21 am
kevdab
(@kevdab)
Estimable Member

I like the skiing events, and the speed skating. Not so much on the team sports. Anything that judges are involved, I don't care for. It doesn't bother me that the NHL players are not playing.

Posted : February 10, 2018 9:21 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Totally agree on the judges point. Entirely subjective. Especially something like figure skating.

Liking the hockey. Especially the ladies. Those girls can play.

Posted : February 10, 2018 9:37 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

My wife and I are all in. Thats what we will be watching for the next 2 wks.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : February 10, 2018 12:25 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Biathlon might be the dumbest thing ever. You ski and wear a gun on your back and then shoot? Who could come up with something like that?

Posted : February 11, 2018 2:50 am
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

My wife and I are all in. Thats what we will be watching for the next 2 wks.

+1 Enjoyed watching the women's 7.5 k biathlon yesterday. How about the US snow boarder winning the gold. He nailed his last run. Looking forward to Mikalea Shiffrin in the ski events. She could win 5 medals.

Posted : February 11, 2018 5:43 am
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

We watched some of the events shown on NBC last night. My wife loves the figure skating. We saw the snowboard freestyle or downhill whatever it is called. That Red Gerrard kid is 17. I know White just does halfpipe, but man it is going to be a challenge for him, it's a young man's (or woman's) game that snowboarding.

Posted : February 11, 2018 6:14 am
Bhawk
(@bhawk)
Famed Member

Love it. Love all of it. Total Olympics nerd. 😀

I might need a curling intervention!

Viewing tips...because of the time change, everything truly live is when we are all asleep. Point your DVRs towards NBC Sports Channel and USA Network in the overnight hours, you'll have plenty to watch in the waking hours.

The NBC Sports app is off the hook phenomenal. All sports in their entirety, both live and replay. Replays are no commercials, entire event. Let's say on the TV coverage they show 10 ski jumpers, and only those in medal positions. On the replays you get all 70 jumpers from all the countries. You'll need to have a cable or satellite provider to log in.

Biathlon might be the dumbest thing ever. You ski and wear a gun on your back and then shoot? Who could come up with something like that?

The Norwegians! In the late 1800s there was a push in Norway to get everyone in the country to be better marksmen in the name of national defense, so they took the national sport and combined it with shooting and added the military element to it. When it debuted as an Olympic sport in 1924, biathlon was then called Military Patrol.

Posted : February 11, 2018 9:44 am
Bhawk
(@bhawk)
Famed Member

Totally agree on the judges point. Entirely subjective. Especially something like figure skating.

I've always thought that figure skating is a performance art form like ballet. Do they have judges for ballet? 😛

Posted : February 11, 2018 9:45 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

I always enjoy the Olympics - amazes me that someone trains their entire life to spend 2 minutes on the ice..... and then they fall down 3 times......

Posted : February 11, 2018 7:59 pm
(@2112)
Famed Member

I lover the olympics, especially the winter olympics. The summer olympics feature sports that I can do, just not at a high level. The winter games feature sports I can't even imagine. The balls it takes to ski jump over the length of a football field or to sled down at twisting track of ice at 85 miles per hour is just mind blowing. My favorites are the skiing sports, sliding events, and short track speed skating, but I love all of it. I went to the Vancouver games 8 years ago for 3 days. I'd love to go again for a whole week.

Posted : February 11, 2018 9:53 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

Jamie Anderson gets gold in cold, windy conditions. We watched it and she won it on her first run. She was fortunate considering the wind affected others during their second runs. Well done Ms. Anderson!

https://www.si.com/olympics/2018/02/12/jamie-anderson-slopestyle-snowboarding-gold-medal

Posted : February 12, 2018 6:04 am
IPowrie
(@ipowrie)
Noble Member

Jamie Anderson gets gold in cold, windy conditions. We watched it and she won it on her first run. She was fortunate considering the wind affected others during their second runs. Well done Ms. Anderson!

https://www.si.com/olympics/2018/02/12/jamie-anderson-slopestyle-snowboarding-gold-medal

That's one of my favorite events and I was able to catch it last night

Posted : February 12, 2018 7:44 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I always enjoy the Olympics - amazes me that someone trains their entire life to spend 2 minutes on the ice..... and then they fall down 3 times......

Wouldn't even give you or me 2 minutes. 😛

Posted : February 12, 2018 10:07 am
OriginalGoober
(@originalgoober)
Noble Member

I watched many events this weekend on NBC. I didnt care for the fawning over the norks or the political commentary during the opening ceremony. Also, could they not give the Bob Costas role to an American? It's not the British Baking Show for cripes sake.

Posted : February 12, 2018 4:30 pm
(@2112)
Famed Member

Pretty disappointed with the team USA performances so far. I was hoping that a huge takeaway of metals for the US might help with some badly needed unification in this country, and maybe some renewed pride. Seems even the Olympics can't make America great again.

Posted : February 20, 2018 11:02 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

Pretty disappointed with the team USA performances so far. I was hoping that a huge takeaway of metals for the US might help with some badly needed unification in this country, and maybe some renewed pride. Seems even the Olympics can't make America great again.

Disagree. The U.S. rarely is top medal contender in the Winter Olympics. Overall, the U.S. team has done okay. It was a shame Mikela Shiffrin didn't win the slalom but Lindsey Von got bronze in the downhill. That made her the oldest competitor to ever win a medal in skiing. Fortunately, the still have a shot to win more with the Combined event today.

Ladies hockey plays for gold tonight. Men's hockey still has a shot at gold too.

Posted : February 21, 2018 4:58 am
(@2112)
Famed Member

Disagree. The U.S. rarely is top medal contender in the Winter Olympics. Overall, the U.S. team has done okay. It was a shame Mikela Shiffrin didn't win the slalom but Lindsey Von got bronze in the downhill. That made her the oldest competitor to ever win a medal in skiing. Fortunately, the still have a shot to win more with the Combined event today.

Ladies hockey plays for gold tonight. Men's hockey still has a shot at gold too.

I think I saw the US is on pace for their worst Olympic performance in over 2 decades. I'm hoping we can break out of the funk and get some more medals.

It would be nice if our president would show some patriotism and support the athletes competing on our behalf in the Olympics. You know, use that Twitter account for good and not evil for once.

Posted : February 21, 2018 8:38 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Eh, it's nice to see the U.S. athletes do well, but I like seeing all the international competitors do well. I don't think the nation's pride rests at the feet of teenage snowboarders. If anything, the Olympics' vast ethnic diversity should illustrate that we are all citizens of the same planet, some can afford more powder days than others.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : February 21, 2018 8:51 am
(@2112)
Famed Member

Really, really good day for the US. Nice to see all those golds and silvers today.

Posted : February 21, 2018 10:50 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

I think I saw the US is on pace for their worst Olympic performance in over 2 decades. I'm hoping we can break out of the funk and get some more medals.

It would be nice if our president would show some patriotism and support the athletes competing on our behalf in the Olympics. You know, use that Twitter account for good and not evil for once.

I'd prefer our president not saying anything period.

Well done ladies winning the gold in hockey; won in a shootout! Shiffrin scored the silver in the combined. And the women's cross country skiing team won a gold, first time ever. Cheers!

Posted : February 21, 2018 10:59 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
Illustrious Member

I stayed up until 1:15 watching the hockey game - it was much more entertaining than the Blackhawks this year. What a great game and a great win ........ tense from the 3rd period on...... nice to see hockey where they actually pass to each other..... Both teams played great, but I thought the US outplayed them in the 3rd period and overtime..... 😀

Posted : February 22, 2018 12:12 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I had actually heard the names of some of the foreign players. They must have used pros unlike the U.S. for some reason.

Posted : February 22, 2018 12:18 pm
(@2112)
Famed Member

Anybody remember 4 years ago when citizen Trump blamed Obama for the poor US performances in Sochi, you know the Olympics where the US won 5 more medals than they did this year. Of course, neither Obama nor Trump have anything to do with the number of medals the US team earned, but if he was blaming Obama then why hasn't he issued a Tweet taking blame for the US team permormance this year?

Much like his obsession with the number of golf games Obama played when he plays far more.

Gotta love hypocrisy!

Posted : February 25, 2018 3:10 pm
PhotoRon286
(@photoron286)
Noble Member

Anybody remember 4 years ago when citizen Trump blamed Obama for the poor US performances in Sochi, you know the Olympics where the US won 5 more medals than they did this year. Of course, neither Obama nor Trump have anything to do with the number of medals the US team earned, but if he was blaming Obama then why hasn't he issued a Tweet taking blame for the US team permormance this year?

Much like his obsession with the number of golf games Obama played when he plays far more.

Gotta love hypocrisy!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/437784258686767104?lang=en

Posted : February 26, 2018 4:54 am
PhotoRon286
(@photoron286)
Noble Member

I had actually heard the names of some of the foreign players. They must have used pros unlike the U.S. for some reason.

Of the 25 russian pplayers that came from the KHL (second best quality pro league in the world) 23 were from the top 2 teams in that russian league.

For most of the tourney former NJ Devil Ilya Kovalchuk was the leading scorer.

Posted : February 26, 2018 4:56 am
OriginalGoober
(@originalgoober)
Noble Member

I watched many events this weekend on NBC. I didnt care for the fawning over the norks or the political commentary during the opening ceremony. Also, could they not give the Bob Costas role to an American? It's not the British Baking Show for cripes sake.

Guess I wasn't the only one not liking some of tthe decisions NBC made on this event

Lowest

Ratings

Ever!

Posted : February 26, 2018 5:03 pm
Bhawk
(@bhawk)
Famed Member

Guess I wasn't the only one not liking some of tthe decisions NBC made on this event

Lowest

Ratings

Ever!

Mike Tirico is from Queens.

Posted : February 26, 2018 6:31 pm
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Also, could they not give the Bob Costas role to an American? It's not the British Baking Show for cripes sake.

It's hard to argue with a smart person, but it's much harder to argue with an idiot.

Bob Costas chose to step aside. Mike Tirico has been calling NBA and Monday Night Football (where he is greatly missed) games for years and, as mentioned, Tirico was born in Queens, graduate from Syracuse, and lives in Ann Arbor, MI.

You really need to get out more if Queens and the Midwest sound erudite to you.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : March 2, 2018 10:48 am
Share: