59 Posts
11 Users
9 Likes
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Does anyone have any relaxing music they listen to on weekend mornings? There was a radio station in Detroit that had a show on Sundays that I would always listen to that played a lot of acoustic stuff by mainstream artists and troubadours that I always listened to. Nothing like that and a cup of coffee.

Last Sunday it was Etta James for me. Today it is Gordon Lightfoot. I never knew he covered Me and Bobby McGee. Smile  

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : February 18, 2024 8:56 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Lee rather than linking the entire album, I'll just link on track to see if you like it. It's an album my parents liked for quiet time. 

The late trumpet cornet player Bobby Hackett and his beautiful note perfect version of Hoggy Carmichael's STARDUST. 

Posted : February 18, 2024 9:29 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Posted by: @lee

Does anyone have any relaxing music they listen to on weekend mornings? There was a radio station in Detroit that had a show on Sundays that I would always listen to that played a lot of acoustic stuff by mainstream artists and troubadours that I always listened to. Nothing like that and a cup of coffee.

Last Sunday it was Etta James for me. Today it is Gordon Lightfoot. I never knew he covered Me and Bobby McGee. Smile  

Duane actually played on another artist's cover of Me & Bobbie McGee. 😎 

If you like Willie Nelson's voice his "Stardust" album is pretty darn mellow.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : February 18, 2024 11:57 am
fsducati
(@fsducati)
Estimable Member

Spotify has a list called Sunday Jazz. It’s pretty good.

Posted : February 21, 2024 10:17 pm
StratDal reacted
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

On Saturday mornings, WNCW out of Asheville has a great jazz program. I listen every week. 

Posted : February 21, 2024 11:30 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

The Dave Brubeck Quartet is a good selection for Sunday morning jazz. 

This is their big hit. Take Five sold well over one million copies in 1961. Best selling jazz instrumental so far. 

It was written by Brubeck's Saxophone player Paul Desmond. 

Posted : February 22, 2024 11:17 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Jorma Kaukonen - Blue Country Heart

Posted : February 22, 2024 2:38 pm
owencarol reacted
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Doobie Brothers "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits"

Posted : February 24, 2024 1:31 pm
harvey reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

This morning's selection is a Chess Blues box set. I put on the first disc, 1947-1952 (with a chocolate chip muffin and a cup of coffee). Wink  

So I came across this song and recognized the lyrics. It is "Mother Earth" by Memphis Slim. It is on Mule's first album, obviously much different than the original. I remember hearing it on Mule's first album the first time I listened to them and really liking it.

Learn something new every day, right? 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Lee

Posted : February 25, 2024 9:03 am
goldtop reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @oldcoot

Jorma Kaukonen - Blue Country Heart

He is playing here my birthday weekend in Chicago in May. Cool club. Tix are a tad pricey but I might go.

Posted : February 25, 2024 9:06 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robertdee

Lee rather than linking the entire album, I'll just link on track to see if you like it. It's an album my parents liked for quiet time. 

The late trumpet cornet player Bobby Hackett and his beautiful note perfect version of Hoggy Carmichael's STARDUST. 

Definitely quiet time!

Posted : February 25, 2024 9:12 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@lee Lee that is excellent trumpet playing. Bobby Hackett was one of the great players in the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. He died of a heart attack in 1976 at age 61. 

I hadn't heard of Bobby until about 20 years ago when I went through my dad's record collection and found several albums by Bobby. I bet Stardust is very difficult to play on a trumpet without a clam or two. 

That is an interesting early version of Mother Earth. I too bought the first Govt Mule album when he dropped in 1994 and Mother Earth is my favorite track. And the only version of it I've heard until today. 

My first Mule show was also 1994 at a small club in North Carolina. Went to the men's room before they played and Warren was in there relieving himself and I ask him to sign my Pattern Disruptive album and he said sure. Ran out to the car and brought it in and he and Woody were standing at the bar then and Warren signed it. I told him I got Dickey to sign it when they played the same club in early 1989. Warren looked and said " That is definitely Dickey's signature". 

Posted : February 25, 2024 9:58 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

How about a relaxing often overlooked instrumental by Dickey for Sunday morning. 

Posted : February 25, 2024 10:02 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nothing wrong with High Falls!

This morning it is some slow Neil Young. Harvest Moon and Live at Cellar Door. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Lee

Posted : March 3, 2024 7:16 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Bob Weir, Blue Mountain - a mellow listen, wonderful pedal steel playing - Springsteen was after a similar sound on Nebraska (to my ears)

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Stephen

Posted : March 3, 2024 9:36 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Just one more, does anyone know Monsters of Folk - hadn’t listened to it in years, perfect one to follow Blue Mountain with

Posted : March 3, 2024 10:30 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

How 'bout the darling on those VeeJay records made for the Armed Forces during World War 2, Jo Stafford. Has some nice trambone playing too. 

Posted : March 3, 2024 1:47 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Here is more Trambone music. The great Jack Teagarden sings and plays the Trambone and even takes a TRAMBONE CODA!!! 

Posted : March 3, 2024 2:00 pm
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

Two wonderful tracks there, @robertdee. So great you keep that earlier great music alive. Let's hope there's a robertdee in fifty years to teach all those whippersnappers about an amazing guitar player named Duane Allman. Seeing Tony Parenti's and Jack's expressions, reminds me of a quote from Duke Ellington, "The thirties was a time of the great drinkers and the great players." See Tony was born in 1900, wow. Wonder if he played with Bix. Jack did.

This came up. Great amazing stuff, but there's always some fool in the comments who has to say Derek is the reincarnation of Duane. Give me a break. 

You see Georgia was originally written for Hoagy's beautiful sister, not the state.

Posted : March 3, 2024 4:58 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@tenorsfan Hoagy was a fantastic song writer and piano player. 

Here he is talking about Bix. 

Posted : March 4, 2024 6:45 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@tenorsfan Derek is considered an amazing guitar player but to me he is often too busy, too much there like Jeff Beck. But no doubt both players are fantastic. 

And Derek is usually lauded for his slide playing rather than lead guitar. 

I'm a Duane Allman man when it comes to slide. Duane had a tone and energy unique to him. 

Actually the first time I saw Derek Trucks was at a Pool Hall in High Point. N C. when he was early teens. He and his band played a lot of Duane style ABB and he sounded very similar to Duane then. He told a man during the break Duane and Elmore James are his big influences. 

But as he grew and matured Derek indicated in more recent interviews now he was more influenced by horn players and eastern music than other guitar players and I assume Derek grew beyond Duane and Elmore into the style we hear on that clip. 

Posted : March 4, 2024 6:53 pm
Jack_Frost reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@tenorsfan Here is one of Jack's bands. All the guys are top shelf players. 

I like how brother Charlie Teagarden shakes the three valves on that trumpet to put vibrato on certain notes. 

Jack starts with his slide stuck in a beer glass for a nasty tone. 

Posted : March 4, 2024 7:05 pm
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

I think the most compared to the influence of Bix on Hoagy is the intro of the aforementioned Stardust. Sounds just like him. Jack once said he thought his brother Charlie was a greater player than Bix; as Duane once said, "Go ahead and hallucinate." Your video also featured that all time hipster, Ray Bauduc, our beloved Jeff Healey's favourite drummer.

Posted : March 5, 2024 7:26 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@tenorsfan Really enjoyed Sinatra singing Stardust. Are there any make singers like Frank, Tony Bennett etc today?  Can't think of any. 

Charlie Teagarden was a good solid trumpet player but Bix was much more. A great composer and arranger. Bix died what 1932 very young from his out of control consumption of booze. 

I never saw Jack Teagarden live but live on TV. Apparently the most influential Trambone (he he) player of all time. Jack died in New Orleans in 1964 of pneumonia at age 58. 

Did see the older Bobby Hackett who died of a heart attack in the early 80's at age 61. Probably he is my favorite trumpet cornet player. Especially on slow pretty songs. His tone, bending and smooth vibrato is impressive. 

Listen. 

Posted : March 5, 2024 9:13 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Bix Beiderbecke trumpet solo recorded in 1927!! I was just a boy then!!! 

Posted : March 5, 2024 9:23 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@tenorsfan Here is a man who apparently can play the drums like Buddy Rich did with The Harry James Band years ago. 

Check it man check it. 

Posted : March 6, 2024 7:44 pm
tenorsfan
(@tenorsfan)
Estimable Member

Hi @robertdee . That's unusual. He certainly got it down but you don't usually think of drummers as transcribing. There's a guy on the internet who makes a living transcribing sax solos, and of course transcribing guitar solos is everywhere. We've even got our own technology, tabs. 

I find a similarity with Bix' solo on the above Georgia and Duane's playing, say on ..Highway, they way they both sound so deliberate, like pointing their finger for emphasis on each note like each note is so precious. Love it. At the risk of one old timey video too many, there's another record that has an uncanny resemblance to Duane that kind of spooks me. You don't think of Duane copying him, more that King Oliver is channeling Duane's music, like he's saying, "One day there's gonna come this white boy who's gonna smoke us all. Catch him if you can."

Posted : March 7, 2024 6:49 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@tenorsfan That is a coincidence!! I've been listening to some King Oliver last couple of days. Found out about King Oliver from reading an interview from the 1950's with Louis Armstrong and Jack Teagarden. Jack was a member of Louis Armstrong And His All-stars which would play a tour or two every year in addition to other bands Louis and Jack played with. 

Both men also remembered Bix. And they indicated King Oliver eventually fell out of favor with audiences as music changed and King died broke. 

Also read Armstrong smoked weed regularly for years. 

Here is a photo of Louis Armstrong's All Stars with Jack Teagarden of the left. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/s32gQevuK6c5apWx9  

Cozy Cole the drummer was also in Louie Armstrong and His All Stars. 

And Cozy also played in Jack Teagarden band. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/fiA8sPsXr151DGTN6  

This post was modified 2 months ago by robertdee

Posted : March 7, 2024 12:07 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@tenorsfan Also I like Jack Teagarden's slide trombone style. It reminds me of Duane on slide guitar. Like on this slow blues. 

Posted : March 7, 2024 12:19 pm
tenorsfan reacted
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

John Prine today. Great Days - The Anthology. He was such a great songwriter. He gave you a good laugh in many of his songs. I consider myself fortunate to have seen him live about 15-20 years ago at The Chicago Theatre.

Posted : March 10, 2024 6:38 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: