RIP Burt Bacharach

12 Posts
8 Users
10 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Here's one sample of his tremendous and beautiful writing as performed by Dionne Warwick.  I remember this tune so clearly, it came out when I was 15.  RIP Burt Bacharach, who wrote SO many great tunes.  Y'all know I'm a rocker big time, but when Pop is THIS good, I am RIGHT there.  What's just as stunning as Bacharach's prowess as a writer is the fact that Warwick is still performing to this day.  I briefly saw something recently that said that Bacharach had written most if not all of Warwick's hit songs.

This topic was modified 1 year ago by robslob

Posted : February 10, 2023 10:29 am
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

There are songwriters and there are composers.  Burt was the latter.  "What the world needs now is love, sweet love ..."  now more than ever.  Rest, Burt.

Posted : February 10, 2023 10:36 am
robslob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robslob

RIP Burt Bacharach, who wrote SO many great tunes.  Y'all know I'm a rocker big time, but when Pop is THIS good, I am RIGHT there. 

absolutely - had thought he did raindrops keep fallin on my head

if it’s the version I’m thinking of, Herb Alpert’s vocal on this guy’s in love with you…..so affecting

issac hayes’ version of the look of love….it can’t be topped imho

His brilliance will be long remembered

This post was modified 1 year ago by Stephen

Posted : February 10, 2023 11:02 am
StratDal and robslob reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Who else could have come up with "What do you get when you kiss a guy?  You get another chance to catch pneumonia"

This post was modified 1 year ago by robslob

Posted : February 10, 2023 11:32 am
Dino
 Dino
(@dino)
Estimable Member

Don't forget the brilliance of Hal David's lyrics.  What an amazing partnership.   May i recommend a fantastic 3 disc box set titled "The Look of Love..The Burt Bacharach collection" 

Posted : February 10, 2023 12:47 pm
robslob and Rusty reacted
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Noble Member

Posted : February 10, 2023 1:14 pm
robslob reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@stratdal:  Thanks for posting that, I remember the song well from my junior high days.  Up until a year ago, I lived either in San Jose or a nearby city for 36 years.  Very nice area but just too pricey now.

Posted : February 10, 2023 7:57 pm
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Posted : February 11, 2023 8:32 pm
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

If I made a list of my all-time favorite songwriters, Burt Bacharach would easily be in the top 10. And if I made a list of my all-time favorite lyricists, Hal David would easily be in the top 10. The two of them together were a phenomenal combination.

R.I.P. to one of the greats.

Posted : February 19, 2023 9:06 am
robslob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Bell studios 1965. 

Posted : February 19, 2023 10:24 am
robslob reacted
hedges
(@hedges)
Honorable Member

nobody has mentioned his songs with Elvis costello. I saw elvis and burt at Radio city music hall in the nineties.  great stuff. They have a new box set coming out in March. A bit pricey but I am going to pick it up.

THE SONGS OF BACHARACH & COSTELLO | Elvis Costello

Posted : February 19, 2023 5:34 pm
robslob reacted
Share: