The Allman Brothers Band
R.I.P. Commander Co...

Notifications
Clear all

R.I.P. Commander Cody (George Frayne IV)

3 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I would think the Commander would rate at least a little credit for being one of the early artists to successfully blend rock and country.  He passed yesterday at age 77.  This video, easily his biggest hit, is the kind of pickin' and grinnin' that makes me smile.  Lead guitar:  Bill Kirchen.

This topic was modified 3 years ago 4 times by robslob

Posted : September 27, 2021 3:45 pm
Rusty reacted
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

RIP George Frayne IV - aka Commander Cody.  Hotrod Lincoln - one of the coolest songs ever!  

Posted : September 27, 2021 4:46 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Yeah Hot Rod Lincoln was a huge hit about what? 1971. 

I've seen Bill Kirchen twice. He is a great all around player. He played Hot Rod Lincoln but didn't sing it as well as the Commander and he did The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Stars and Strips for Ever....everything! 

In a guitar magazine interview he talked about being on a bus with a Gibson SG in a carrying case and he was very happy with that guitar. Another guy was on the bus with a Fender Telecaster in a case and they began talking. The other guy had always wanted a SG and Bill remembered liking a guy he saw play with a Tele but he wasn't sure. But he let the guy talk him into swapping. Bill said he worried he had screwed up but in just a few days he was playing things and getting sounds he had never been able to find on other guitars. Now he is one of several noted players who is glued to a Tele. To them no other guitar comes close. 

Duane Allman had one but it had a Strat neck. The year he died Duane mentioned thinking about finding another good Tele body and put a good Strat neck on it. I've seen a couple in use. Not sure what the advantage of a Strat neck would be. 

Duane's tobacco burst Les Paul with the word DUANE pressed in the back of the body using old frets was a fine sounding guitar. Great tone and stayed in tune real good. 

Posted : September 27, 2021 5:53 pm
Share: