15 Posts
8 Users
4 Likes
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Just saw this from the Gregg Allman Fans group on Facebook:

Please keep the amazing Carlos Santana in your thoughts and prayers as he recovers from what is believed to be heat exhaustion and dehydration. He's 74 and in recent months also had a heart procedure. Last night he collapsed on stage midway through his concert. I'm sure the fans who witnessed were very shocked. He went to the ER and is being observed. ♥️🙏

Posted : July 6, 2022 9:35 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Carlos' wife Cindy Blackman Santana posted on Facebook that Carlos is resting and doing well.  Concert last night was in Michigan.  I've never been to Michigan in July but Cindy posted that last night it was 100 degrees and 114 under the stage lights!!

Posted : July 6, 2022 12:15 pm
MartinD28
(@martind28)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robslob

Carlos' wife Cindy Blackman Santana posted on Facebook that Carlos is resting and doing well.  Concert last night was in Michigan.  I've never been to Michigan in July but Cindy posted that last night it was 100 degrees and 114 under the stage lights!!

Temps like that are brutal. Also read he was dehydrated.

I saw Carlos several months ago, and at 74 he was on top of his game. His guitar licks were superb.

Wishing him a quick recovery.

Posted : July 6, 2022 3:00 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

I grew up in Michigan and have been to DTE countless times. In fact, I think I saw the ABB there probably eight times. Anyway, it does get hot there. Very hot at times. It is kind of strange because as you leave the concourse/lawn area and enter the pavilion to walk to the stage it gets hotter. The closer you get to the stage the hotter it gets. I can imagine how hot it was.

Having said that, I have been to shows in the southeast (Atlanta, Virginia, Carolinas, etc.) and they are way worse. Just the humidity. I kind of doubt it was just the heat because I imagine he has experienced that before.

Best wishes to him.

I did notice only one show has been cancelled so I hope that is a good sign!

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : July 6, 2022 4:29 pm
bob1954
(@bob1954)
Noble Member

@lee Hey Lee, did you know they changed the name back to Pine Knob Music Theater earlier this year. That makes me happy as I've always called it Pine Knob. I was lucky to see Santana there from the front row years ago. He was such a nice guy, chatting with us during breaks. I'm glad he's OK.

Posted : July 6, 2022 7:01 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, me too. Screw naming the place after the electric provider.

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : July 6, 2022 8:01 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Those commerical names on venues, I've never liked. It's been around about 20 years I suppose. The Corporation of course pays to have their name on the arena and if they don't renew, it reverts back to the original name. 

When venues first began offering naming rights I hoped it wouldn't catch on. 

Yes thoughts and prayers to Carlos Santana. One of the best guitarists we've had for decades. His show was a highlight at Woodstock in 1969. 

Just read actor James Caan passed away last night at age 82. I think the original Godfather, more than anything, made him famous and he had a long career. Brian's Song was a touching film with Caan. 

Posted : July 7, 2022 2:30 pm
matt05 reacted
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

Just saw him in Chicago at the old World Theater ( which remains one of my least favorite venues, btw ) this past Saturday. Took my teenage daughter and her friend and had a blast. The guy STILL brings it. It was very temperate that night but I can only imagine playing at that level for that long at his age when it feels like 100.... yikes. 

There was video of him collapsed onstage at Pine Knob with a crowd of folks hovered around him. They had him sitting upright near the drum kit trying to fan him and give water. Then you see a woman climb onstage from the front row, squeeze here way in, make a few hand gestures then raise Santana's feet above his head and then the video cuts.

Good on that woman whomever she was. Might have been the difference in that moment.

Posted : July 8, 2022 2:13 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@islalala  

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-wisconsin-texas-music-8ececfed5f5e7adabf2901ccb6478057  

Postponed 6 more concerts after collapsing on stage out of abundance of caution. 

Posted : July 11, 2022 7:48 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

I thought they would have made the cancellations sooner. 3 days later Santana and EWF come to Ruoff, EMF go on stage and do their set and then he cancels out just before he comes on. Hope he gets to feeling better. It was  HOT here in the Midwest last week!!

Carlos Santana postpones Ruoff Music Center show minutes before he was expected to perform

https://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/2022/07/08/carlos-santana-postpones-indiana-ruoff-music-center-show-indianapolis-update/7832250001/

This post was modified 2 years ago by jszfunk

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : July 11, 2022 7:59 am
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member
Topic starter

@jszfunk:  I'm sure he had the best intentions and didn't want to let his fans down.  But man, trying to play a show only a few days after collapsing onstage?  NOT WISE.  Listen to the M.D.'s Carlos!  I doubt any of them advised him to get back out there that quickly.

This post was modified 2 years ago by robslob

Posted : July 11, 2022 4:16 pm
matt05 reacted
matt05
(@matt05)
Noble Member

@jszfunk:  I'm sure he had the best intentions and didn't want to let his fans down.  But man, trying to play a show only a few days after collapsing onstage?  NOT WISE.  Listen the the M.D.'s Carlos!  I doubt any of them advised him to get back out there that quickly.

yeah he needs to listen to them and take it easy if thats what the doctors are saying

Posted : July 11, 2022 9:04 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@matt05 The singer is the lead singer for Ace and Mike and the Mechanics. Isn't that right. I remember his Ace hit. How Long Has This Been Going On. 

Carlos comes out to play with Clapton and takes over the guitar playing. 

WOODSTOCK 1969 ALIVE AND IN PERSON!!!!

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 11, 2022 11:00 pm
jszfunk reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

@jszfunk:  I'm sure he had the best intentions and didn't want to let his fans down.  But man, trying to play a show only a few days after collapsing onstage?  NOT WISE.  Listen to the M.D.'s Carlos!  I doubt any of them advised him to get back out there that quickly.

Yeah,I agree. He is coming back through as a reschedule. I would like to see him . He always puts on a good show.

Posted : July 12, 2022 11:56 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @robertdee

@matt05 The singer is the lead singer for Ace and Mike and the Mechanics. Isn't that right. I remember his Ace hit. How Long Has This Been Going On. 

Carlos comes out to play with Clapton and takes over the guitar playing. 

WOODSTOCK 1969 ALIVE AND IN PERSON!!!!

Thanks for sharing the EC and Santana video. Never seen it and good version.

Posted : July 12, 2022 11:59 am
matt05 reacted
Share: